Ibanez AF55 Artcore

DB Chuckster

Reaction score
Had an AF 73 with crescent f-holes that rawked. Sweaty Teddy type sounds

Dun Ringill

No collusion
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an AG95 and I love it! I agree with Pop, though. Buying used will get you more hollow body for the same price. I found this used for $350 and it ran new for $599. Obligatory crappy cellphone pic:

upload_2017-11-24_8-15-38.jpeg

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I owned an orange one with white stripes and a bigsby knock off.

The humbuckers weren't the best, but it played okay.

The original plan was to put P94s in it. But I never really bonded with the color. And I came across an Epiphone Explorer I had to have, so I traded.

dmvksv

Reaction score
I've got an AF75T I picked up on Craigslist for a great price. I was always impressed with the Artcores whenever I tried them out at Guitar Center. I've always kind of gassed for one and couldn't pass it up when I found one at a good price. I've seen some used on GC's website at good prices and Sweetwater has had a few good close out deals in the last couple of years.

mdubya

Reaction score
I have strummed a few AF55's and they are very decent guitars for the price. I played a used AFS75T at GC recently and it was stupidly good for $275. I've seen them even cheaper recently, ahem, looking for a friend.

I love those tobacco finishes. If the AFS75T had been tobacco, I would have bought it, even though I have no need for one.

frankv

Have You Ever Lost A Love?
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Joe Pass.i got used in mint condition for $249,

Emory

Reaction score
I got an AF95 used about ten years ago. Lovely guitar, very well built but stock hbs are soso. I got a pair of Stew Mac golden age humbuckers and stuck them in. Best $100 upgrade ever. That baby really came to life

jc2000

Reaction score
Ibanez makes great guitars. I think that would be a good one.

kfowler8

Reaction score
Man, a lot of these Artcores going around right now. I picked one up last week. I really like. I ordered a set of Seth Love PUs for it.

Riffster

Reaction score
My borther has one of those AF55 in the same color and I have played it a bit, I liked the guitar for the price although I am not big on big on hollow boxes and floating bridges so when MF sent me a coupon I jumped on the AM53 model, smaller body, fixed bridge, center block, and to my surprise a slimmer neck profile, less rounded while keepeing the thickness front to back. Like a 60's neck.

Electronics are barely passable on these (both the AF55 and AM53) but that is not problem as I have humbuckers i buy locally for dirt cheap, (bought a Gibson classic 57+ and classic 57 set for $50)

The setup that my AM53 came with is simply superb, low action, great frets and straight neck. I did quickly oiled the fretboard and polished the frets with a micromesh pad which takes not time. Great guitar, i will post it once I complete the mods.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
They had one at my GC for a long time. I would play it often. I thought it felt, played, and sounded great. Stupid cheap too, I think 199 or something. Didn’t buy cuz I had recently bought an epi dot.

filtersweep

Reaction score
I had a 73 and a 105- sold them both. If you regard them as solid tools, they are as good as anything in their class. If you want to feel inspired, theses were underwhelming.

I believe they use soft fret wire to keep costs down. I have nine guitars, so play gets spread around. Both had frets that wore quickly- whereas none of my others show wear.

The pickups were nothing special- and an upgrade costs more than the guitar- I bought both used.

I eventually found a used Gretsch with TV Jones and a case for not much more.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I have an AF 85 I bought used, mint for $265. Great jazz box.