I wish my Les Paul wasn't so perfect...

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
So about 8 or 9 months ago I bought my dream 09 Les Paul Traditional, mint with not a speck on it. As perfect as the day it was polished. And here's the thing cause it's sucha beautiful object and the most expensive single item I have ever bought, I cant stand the thought of damaging it. And I am thinking if I had bought an instrument someone had already put some chips and dents on then I could put some balls behind playing it rather than rarely taking it out of its case...

Am I being too prissy or should I have one for formal and one for work? :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Saberslash12345

Reaction score
It is just normal Traditional, play it and love it.. Every new guitar (non played) has initial stiffness to it, if you do not play it then it will never break in and reach its full potential.. It is not like that you have real vintage 1959 Les Paul in near mint condition that cost millions.. Just rock n roll, it is there to make you better guitar player and to help you grow as a musician, not to be guarded under glass bell... Enjoy

dro

Reaction score
I like a pristine instrument as well. But that doesn't mean I'm not gonna play it. I don't mind the nicks, scratches, and scuffs, I put in em. That's what makes them mine. If I was gonna have one to "NOT" play. Just for looks. I wouldn't spend my money on a USA guitar. I'd buy a Chinese knock off and hang it on the wall. Save allot of money. I've heard other players say I'll buy Epiphone because I don't want to spend the money on a Gibson but still want a USA guitar. (REALLY)?

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong I still play the thing- I have an SG copy which is my main though so I guess one of the reasons I don't play it so much is cause don't always need the Les Paul sound- but I have played the Les Paul live more than a few times but I just have to keep being gentle with it cause it's so nice.

bum

Reaction score
You are as you say 'being too prissy'
I am going to go off on a tiny rant here, so this is not entirely directed at you, but firstly I will directly say to you:
Quit worrying, start playing.

In a more general sense, and I mean zero offence by any of this:
No it does not matter if your pickup rings are a different shade of cream to your pickguard.
No, the microscopic blemish that no one else can see is not a showstopper big deal.
No you do not need to grab a protractor to measure the period correct position for your knob pointers.
No, you do not need to replace your pickup selector switch tip for a $50 replacement period correct aged part.
No, you do not need to scour the internet for the perfect guitar polish.

Basically no you do not need to be a Harley Davidson owner, polishing it every day under a microscope.
You need to grab the thing, play it, use it well and let it be what it NEEDS to be, a musical instrument, not an ornament.

Enjoy the thing, let it enjoy you - If Les Paul's could speak they would plead with some folk to stop inspecting them and start using them.

jbash

Reaction score
So about 8 or 9 months ago I bought my dream 09 Les Paul Traditional, mint with not a speck on it. As perfect as the day it was polished. And here's the thing cause it's sucha beautiful object and the most expensive single item I have ever bought, I cant stand the thought of damaging it. And I am thinking if I had bought an instrument someone had already put some chips and dents on then I could put some balls behind playing it rather than rarely taking it out of its case...

Am I being too prissy or should I have one for formal and one for work? :naughty::naughty::naughty:
I used to be like that. I never truly played the damn things. Spending 3K -4K on a guitar, I didn't even want to scratch them. That's why I love relic'ed guitars. Having my first relic was liberating :laugh2:

But eventually I realized it's no fun having a guitar you are OCD about the finish/dings/paint, etc. Unless you just like looking at it on the wall/in the case and want the feeling of "having it". So no matter what I play them like I mean it, they get scratched and dinged, sometimes there are accidents (my 2014 Trad has a chunk of the neck out thanks to my little girl when she was a toddler) , and I wipe 'em down....on occasion.

I know some people are collectors and want everything in life pristine, and that's fine and dandy if it makes them happy but AFAIC life's too short for case/closet queens- I've got enough $hit in life to worry about that's far more important. Guitars are my entertainment. I don't need to stress about them too! :)

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Here’s what will happen if you treat it like a brittle piece of bone china... you won’t bond with it and eventually it will just look like a bunch of money tied up in an item you don’t use and its value to you as potential money will start to outweigh its value as a beautiful, dream Les Paul.

So play the dang thing. Let’s be real, it’s just a mass produced object (a beautiful one, but far from irreplaceable) and not some holy relic. If you don’t, just be prepared to lose interest in it and to end up selling it to the next guy (who will likely just not worry about it, play the crap out of it, put a few dings in it, and completely bond with it in a way you wouldn’t allow yourself to).

Been there... done that. Life is too dang short! :cheers:

JMT Guitars

Reaction score
You are as you say 'being too prissy'
I am going to go off on a tiny rant here, so this is not entirely directed at you, but firstly I will directly say to you:
Quit worrying, start playing.

In a more general sense, and I mean zero offence by any of this:
No it does not matter if your pickup rings are a different shade of cream to your pickguard.
No, the microscopic blemish that no one else can see is not a showstopper big deal.
No you do not need to grab a protractor to measure the period correct position for your knob pointers.
No, you do not need to replace your pickup selector switch tip for a $50 replacement period correct aged part.
No, you do not need to scour the internet for the perfect guitar polish.

Basically no you do not need to be a Harley Davidson owner, polishing it every day under a microscope.
You need to grab the thing, play it, use it well and let it be what it NEEDS to be, a musical instrument, not an ornament.

Enjoy the thing, let it enjoy you - If Les Paul's could speak they would plead with some folk to stop inspecting them and start using them.
Oh I have never been like that i don't care about natural fading or plastics going a different colour- I just dont really want to give it buckle rash and take chunks out of it- I am not in a position to keep buying multiple grands worth of guitar. Maybe if I'm lucky therell be one or two more in the future but I'm doubtful. Its my first expensive guitar and one I searched over a year for to get one that had the specs and finish I liked. Idk it just seems wrong to let it get beat to crap...

Reactions: bum

bum

Reaction score
Oh I have never been like that i don't care about natural fading or plastics going a different colour- I just dont really want to give it buckle rash and take chunks out of it- I am not in a position to keep buying multiple grands worth of guitar. Maybe if I'm lucky therell be one or two more in the future but I'm doubtful. Its my first expensive guitar and one I searched over a year for to get one that had the specs and finish I liked. Idk it just seems wrong to let it get beat to crap...
I understand, that's why I didn't direct it at you friend :)
There is an area between 'obsessively stress about perfection' and as you say 'let it get beat to crap' and in that area is 'play the guitar and stop worrying' and that is where I recommend being :)

You can have a pride and joy guitar and let it wear, there is nothing wrong in that at all.
For example, I don;t wear a belt buckle while playing, but the nickle has worn off my bridge and is now a weird copper colour in parts.
One is abuse, the other is use, use your guitar, love it and take pride in it but never worry about wear, it can and (in my opinion) should happen.

jbylake

Premium Member
Reaction score

Did you buy it to look at, or to play it? Is it a "barbie doll" or a guitar. The best way not to get chips and scratches is to keep it in the case except to pull it out to polish every now and then. If you're a player, then play the friggin thing. Chips and scratches will happen. So is the life of a guitar player. If you gig it, it'll get a few dings even sooner. You lost me at "prissy" so I don't know where you stand, but if you're that worried, then sell it, buy something cheaper and pre-scratched, and pocket the difference.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya'll are obviously not playing hammered drunk enough. LOL

So...not playing it to keep it perfect..... It's like not sleeping with your girldfriend b/c you want to make sure the next guy is happy.
I’m the next guy.... I would be more than happy;)

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Premium Member
Reaction score
All those dings, dents and belt rash is 'character' and mojo.

It its a player you are good to go...

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
My guitars look dang near untouched...but I’m into shiny things and handle them very, very delicately...

-Chris

mfranzdorf

Reaction score
I recently found a ding on mine that i didn’t put there. Either my son was checking it out and banged it in to something or my wife hit it when she was cleaning the window in the music room. You know what? I don’t even care. It’s still my Les Paul!

Latest Threads