I will never understand people

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
A while back a guy had a usa strat on CL he wanted to sell or trade...I contacted him and he wanted a nice hollow bodied electric ( I have one) and cash to buy cheaper guitars for his grandkids...I told him I had the hollow body but no cash extra BUT I did have some lower end guitars I would throw in the deal... He said he was interested but really wanted to try to get cash first so I forgot about it... a few days later he contacted me asking what the cheaper guitars were so I told him and he again said he was interested. as he did not play and bought the strat to learn on and then decided he wanted his grandkids to learn also.....BUT he had another deal in the works and would let me know.........at least a week goes by and out of the blue I get a text asking if I still wanted to do the trade as he would be free this weekend. I told him yes but I needed to know for sure if he was coming because I had a buyer for the cheaper guitars ( I do) .. he texts back saying to sell em because he has too much guitars stuff already and wants a 500 dollar guitar with a case and 500 cash for his guitar... keep in mind he contacted me asking to do the trade....people make my head hurt sometimes.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
once again.. I put in paragraphs but my computer has a glitch that removes them.. even in emails

Eball92

Reaction score
To be fair I can understand where he is coming from. I put my LP up on kijiji this week and got lots of offers and did alot of back in forth with people but in the end decided to hold onto it...all within the span of a few days :laugh2:

Im sure it happens all the time, thats why the old saying "nothings set in stone" is a saying :cool:

sk8rat

Reaction score
a while back I had a truck tailgate for sale on craigslist. a guy asked if I was willing to do a trade for a tube amp (he said he collected/repaired them). I stupidly said no :shock: (this was before I knew anything about amps)

we settled on a price and he said he was headed out the door. he didn't show so I called the number he gave me at about 6pm. his wife answered and said he left at about 2pm. she tried to call him but he wouldn't answer. she called the state patrol and nothing :dunno:

I told her I would hold the tailgate for him if he called me back. she said ok but I never heard from him again.

that was my weirdest craigslist experience.

if he changed his mind he could have just called me but i don't think someone would go through that much trouble instead of just saying no.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have been very lucky with CL.... But I made a deal on a jeep once over the phone.. was on my way there and got within a mile of his house and my cell rings.. someone just had driven off with it..long drive for nothing... AGAIN I understand changing your mind... we ll do it but this sat for a week and he contacted me to do the deal then completely changed it.. oh well

Sharky

Reaction score
a guy from the US contacted me about the Rossington I'm selling right now. He made a quite low offer but after 24 hrs of thinking about it, I decided to accept it. Now he's starting to ask the questions he should have asked before making me an offer. I wrote him that I accept paypal gift or wire only. I wrote this before he made his offer, so he knew about it. Wants to use regular paypal now, which I am not going to accept. Haven't heard from him for 24 hrs again. I wrote him that I have an offer from a german dealer which is a little bit lower, but I need to make a decission, as the dealer won't wait forever either.

One can ask any questions before agreeing on a deal. Afterwards? Not quite fair, is it?

If he knew how good this guitar is in reality, he'd fly over to buy it

NRBQ

Reaction score
As long as he knows that now you have to take one of his fingers, it's all good. I know a guy who knows a guy.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have been very lucky with CL.... But I made a deal on a jeep once over the phone.. was on my way there and got within a mile of his house and my cell rings.. someone just had driven off with it..long drive for nothing... AGAIN I understand changing your mind... we ll do it but this sat for a week and he contacted me to do the deal then completely changed it.. oh well

first come first served

you may be surprised how many people will say they're 'on the way' or that they'll meet you somewhere like a parking lot and then never show up.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
a guy from the US contacted me about the Rossington I'm selling right now. He made a quite low offer but after 24 hrs of thinking about it, I decided to accept it. Now he's starting to ask the questions he should have asked before making me an offer. I wrote him that I accept paypal gift or wire only. I wrote this before he made his offer, so he knew about it. Wants to use regular paypal now, which I am not going to accept. Haven't heard from him for 24 hrs again. I wrote him that I have an offer from a german dealer which is a little bit lower, but I need to make a decission, as the dealer won't wait forever either.

One can ask any questions before agreeing on a deal. Afterwards? Not quite fair, is it?

If he knew how good this guitar is in reality, he'd fly over to buy it

I can see from his side though. He doesn't know you. He was just trying to minimize his risks. If it had been me, I'd have asked you if regular Paypal was ok, if I added in the Paypal fees. Had you refused, then I'd have walked.

kevinpaul

Reaction score
I had a guy I found on CL that was selling an old mandolin for $250.00 not bad but not great. He said he might want to trade for a guitar instead. After a few minutes his fancy turned to a $2,000 Remington rifle I had on the work bench. I told him to forget that, he then got freaky and said he was a cop. He got more freaky and with a nasty object in my hand said I eat people and pointed to my autopsy saws on the wall. He left fast and said he would be back. I said early please you are 45 minutes a pound and you look greasy. Another no show.

Sharky

Reaction score
I can see from his side though. He doesn't know you. He was just trying to minimize his risks. If it had been me, I'd have asked you if regular Paypal was ok, if I added in the Paypal fees. Had you refused, then I'd have walked.

I can understand his concerns as well, but Papypal is a serious PITA not only fee-wise. It can cause you trouble you would never think of. Even if everything is OK with the item sold, the buyer can file a case and without really investigating the buyer is always right.

Again, I told him the terms of payment before he offered me the money. He could have asked before, that's all I complain about. If he doesn't agree with what I told him, it's fine with me, absolutely no problem.

questionman

Reaction score
One of the MIM Strats I sold locally I had a hell of a time with.

I claimed it to be stock except the pickups which I took from another MIM Strat of the same year. They matched this guitar more than the one they came in. So I mentioned that in my ad. Honestly, whats the big deal...same pickups, same year, just swapped guitars.

Anyway, I get a email from a guy who wants to buy the guitar. Go back and forth a few days, we agreed to meet up at a local music store so he could try out the Strat through a good amp. All they stock is Blackstar. And not the little small tiny Blackstar amps, the big 50W or 100W amps...

It sounded amazing there. I never liked Blackstar much, still dont...but everything sounds better with a good strat:thumb:

We agreed on a price via email $275 for guitar and old beatup hardshell case.

He says he will take it and hands me $100.

I say "This is only $100, do you have the rest of the money?"

He responds that he thought more about the fact the pickups were changed and how he figured it would knock about $100 off the price. Then he went out to point out every little dent and paint chip (it looked VERY good for a 11 year old guitar, a couple small small little chips and a few scratches on the back) and he took money off for every one he saw.

Told him to screw off, wasnt worth arguing over it.

Sold it a day later

kfowler8

Reaction score
Only issue I ever had on CL was as a buyer. A guy had an empty 4x12 cab that he said was a Marshall 1960A. It had been recovered with carpet so the only thing that was Marshall about it was the logo. He didn't live close by so I couldn't see it in person. We went back and forth with trying to get some more details to verify what it actually was.

I finally decided to go ahead and take a chance on it since the price was right and I felt I had nothing to lose. I was going to recover it anyway. I contacted the seller about meeting him at his work (about a 30 min drive for me) and if we could do it late afternoon when I was on my way home. He went off and said it was my responsibility to find a time that worked for him and he didn't like the questions I was asking about the authenticity of the cab.

I just responded that I'll pass on it now. Guess he didn't want to sell it that bad.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
To be fair I can understand where he is coming from. I put my LP up on kijiji this week and got lots of offers and did alot of back in forth with people but in the end decided to hold onto it...all within the span of a few days :laugh2:

Im sure it happens all the time, thats why the old saying "nothings set in stone" is a saying :cool:

Which LP?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of the MIM Strats I sold locally I had a hell of a time with.

I claimed it to be stock except the pickups which I took from another MIM Strat of the same year. They matched this guitar more than the one they came in. So I mentioned that in my ad. Honestly, whats the big deal...same pickups, same year, just swapped guitars.

Anyway, I get a email from a guy who wants to buy the guitar. Go back and forth a few days, we agreed to meet up at a local music store so he could try out the Strat through a good amp. All they stock is Blackstar. And not the little small tiny Blackstar amps, the big 50W or 100W amps...

It sounded amazing there. I never liked Blackstar much, still dont...but everything sounds better with a good strat:thumb:

We agreed on a price via email $275 for guitar and old beatup hardshell case.

He says he will take it and hands me $100.

I say "This is only $100, do you have the rest of the money?"

He responds that he thought more about the fact the pickups were changed and how he figured it would knock about $100 off the price. Then he went out to point out every little dent and paint chip (it looked VERY good for a 11 year old guitar, a couple small small little chips and a few scratches on the back) and he took money off for every one he saw.

Told him to screw off, wasnt worth arguing over it.

Sold it a day later

That's why I only meet when selling, near my house (5-10 mins) or at somewhere I want to go, like a gear shop etc. So, when Bozos like this show up, my time isn't unduly wasted.

splatter

Reaction score
sounds like he really wanted cash instead of the cheaper guitars and was hoping you would offer up the cash after you sold your cheaper guitars .

Latest Threads