I was told that i shouldn't even take my guitar out to play live.

rogue3

Reaction score
Do you guys play your "expensive guitars" live?

I was at a show, and I was playing my Les Paul Custom. After our set a guy came up to me and said, "you're crazy for even taking that guitar out". I told him you only live once.

What do you think? I probably wouldn't play out a collector's guitar worth over 10k, but why even buy something like that if you aren't going to plY it?

The guitar I was playing was a 2008 LPC.
View attachment 674233
Play every gig like it's your last...because it might be. And how would you like to remember it? With the best tone and your favorite guitar.

If you are out to schmooze and that is part of he fun of the gig,, and the place has some sketchy types( most do these days),an Anvil case, or equivalent, chained with big chain links to a solid in-house anchor. Too many people looking to do crime.

I had to call a locksmith recently, locked out. He arrived. " I am from Moldova! " Cool, I commiserated, the precarious situation over there . He picked the front deadbolt lock with ease(i thought they said deadbolts were supposed to be solid?). As the door opened he immediately noticed some 20 feet away inside on stands..."ooo, Guitars!" ...great. A guy from Moldova who can pick locks and loves guitars.

Moral is, you cannot tell the shyster by looks. Take precautions, and protect you gear when out. Play your best out.

Last edited:

Slash'n'Burn

Reaction score
I gig my 1990 Custom everywhere, I don't worry about it, it's my best playing guitar so I wouldn't play as well if I used something else.
It stays in the case while other bands are on, so no worries about it getting knocked over. Half the time I'm not even keeping an eye on it, life is too short for worrying about everything.

8len8

Reaction score
Do what you feel is right. Some people view guitars as tools and use them when/where needed. Others view them as artwork and protect them.

There’s no right or wrong. It’s up to you, not others.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
@rogue3 nailed it.

The first expensive guitars I bought, I would’ve never dreamed of taking them to a bar gig.
Once I started playing a little bit, I decided I was going to take the best guitar for the show.

But as I mentioned earlier, I rarely drink, and then maybe two beers tops in a night.
I watch my gear like a hawk.
The gear of my friends, as well.

I have used several locksmiths over the years, I have changed the locks of every house I’ve ever moved into.
Owned or rented.
I have mused aloud many times, who is the most honest guy in town?
The locksmith.
The guy who can get into any door he wants without leaving a trace.

Last edited:

LDH

Reaction score

I was at a show, and I was playing my Les Paul Custom. After our set a guy came up to me and said, "you're crazy for even taking that guitar out". I told him you only live once.

What do you think? I probably wouldn't play out a collector's guitar worth over 10k, but why even buy something like that if you aren't going to plY it?

View attachment 674233
They’re made to be played! I take my j45 and my LP Traditional to every show and play the hell out of em.

uncle leo

Reaction score
My performance, rehearsal and recording arsenal always include:
1969 Les Paul Custom - my first LP
1969 Les Paul Deluxe - my second LP
1973 Stratocaster (sunburst) - my first Strat
They've been everywhere!

doctorremulak

Reaction score

View attachment 674233
I’m a bass player. I don’t have any crazy expensive stuff but at least three in the $3K range and I play them all at gigs. Enjoy your guitar as much as possible!

Rik shafer

Reaction score

View attachment 674233
I have been gigging with my 1971 LP gold top… since 1971. Bought it new for $400 and got Les to sign it. My son will get it when I can’t gig anymore. Until then, I just watch out for it. And I don’t play chicken wire clubs.

waxout

Reaction score
I echo the overall view here, hell yes play 'em out! Now, that said I have sold a few guitars that really were just too nice for me to play with my usual style. (see profile pic LOL)

Epihof

Reaction score
That’s a beautiful custom! I use my USA LP in the studio / for practice and play my R9 at home and at live gigs. I’ve had my USA for 10 years and despite playing and transporting it’s still in great condition - they’re definitely meant to be played!

Zedman

Reaction score
I once had a guitar i was scared to play live then my son when he was little grabbed it and before i could catch him he hit it on the wall.. best thing that ever happened to me.. i play the crap out of that thing everywhere and I play everything i own everywhere.. my attitude now is I bought them to play

Latest Threads