I was living a Lie!! Marshall Micro Stack fooled me....

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I mis-match the cabs into the amp? meaning connect one output for the 8ohm celestion and the other output for the stock 16 ohm marshall?
No, don't do that. The 8 ohm jack is for one 8 ohm speaker cab or two 16 ohm speaker cabs in parallel, the 16 ohm jack is for a 16 ohm cab.

EDIT: Marshall warns against using the 8 ohm and 16 ohm jacks at the same time.

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you address the one 16 ohm head input to run both cabs? Please excuse my ignorance if this is easy. Thanks.
Two 8 ohm cabs in series is a 16 ohm load. Two 16 ohm cabs in parallel is an 8 ohm load and can't be connected to a DSL1HR.

Last edited:

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Cool!, .I've been keeping an eye out for the DSL 1's. I have an extra 12" celestion and placed it on the outer face of the cab and looks like it might be able to fit. Do you know if anyone has ever put 12's in the 10 cab?, I know it would be pretty tight fit if they did.
Sorry - not sure. The cabinet seemed like it would be too tight for a 12", and from what I've read, trying to stuff a 12" in too small a cabinet doesn't yield great results, soundwise.

Ed R.

Reaction score
Two 8 ohm cabs in series is a 16 ohm load. Two 16 ohm cabs is parallel is an 8 ohm load and can't be connected to a DSL1HR.
Cool, I get that, so in order to use the DSL1 and Lead 12 heads with the Lead 12 cabs (which are each 16 ohm), the options are: 1.) only use one cab (with the DSL1) or 2.) replace the speakers with 8 ohm units and rewire for series (adding extra 1/4 jack on top cab) which makes both cabs (cab to cab) together 16 ohms, using only the added 1/4 plug in either head?

kysrsoze

Reaction score
How did you address the one 16 ohm head input to run both cabs? Please excuse my ignorance if this is easy. Thanks.
No worries - all this stuff is complicated if you haven't done it before.

I didn't want to drill any additional holes in the cabs, so I ended up building a splitter box out of a small plastic box and attached it with a velcro-like material to the top cabinet. I wired it in series, so the total load of two 8-ohm speakers came to 16 ohms, to match the head. See this page for reference:

Last edited:

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, I get that, so in order to use the DSL1 and Lead 12 heads with the Lead 12 cabs (which are each 16 ohm), the options are: 1.) only use one cab (with the DSL1) or 2.) replace the speakers with 8 ohm units and rewire for series (adding extra 1/4 jack on top cab) which makes both cabs (cab to cab) together 16 ohms, using only the added 1/4 plug in either head?
That's the ticket, yeah!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweet, that is pretty cool for sure!

I like 12" speakers, so I just have my little half stack w/Line 6 HX Effects in front of it that does great for home use.

rixtertech.com

Reaction score
I bought one of these little cabs (90's vintage I think) last year without testing, and took it home to find out it really sounded pretty bad all by itself. Opened it up to find probably the cheapest toy 10" Celestion ever made, and replaced it with a WGS10C I had lying around. That didn't really cut it in this application so I took off the back and of course the 10C was much happier. It still isn't quite sounding as good as I think it should, but every time I think about giving up on it I can't do it... the darn little thing is just too cute! So for my next trick I'll cut the back panel into three pieces; a bottom lip a few inches high to hold in whatever I need to toss in there when moving it, a top section to hold the new jack plate that will replace the horrible cheap OEM plastic one, and a middle section that will be in or out for closed/partial open back play. If I'm still not satisfied, maybe a 10" Greenback will go in. The real problem IMHO is that the cab is just a little too small to let the speaker do its best work, though I'll admit I haven't bothered to figure out its Q number. But there is still a lot of fun in a small form factor like this.

Ed R.

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to upgrade my mini stack speakers so that I can use my DSL1 & Lead 12 head, my question is, are Celestion ten 30 speakers any improvement over the stock G10D-25 that came stock? A pair of the ten 30's are less than $100, while 10" greenbacks are about $200. Thoughts? (and NO, I do not have unlimited budget, LoL!) Thanks.

rich85

Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to upgrade my mini stack speakers so that I can use my DSL1 & Lead 12 head, my question is, are Celestion ten 30 speakers any improvement over the stock G10D-25 that came stock? A pair of the ten 30's are less than $100, while 10" greenbacks are about $200. Thoughts? (and NO, I do not have unlimited budget, LoL!) Thanks.
Definitely. Fender uses the Ten 30 in the 68 Custom Princeton and that amp sounds amazing.

DJGranite

Reaction score
I've had 2 of the 3005(Lead 12) Micro Stacks since the 80s.
Spread them out, use a wah on 1, the other just amp, instant Man in the Box.
I learned more songs on them than any other amp.
Great bedroom/practice amps especially for a JCM 800 type of sound.
The Lead 12s, Stack and combo, Lead 20, 30 watt Artist and the Lead 100 Mosfet all got a good JCM 800 sound IMO. All came with Celestion G10L-35 speakers, surprisingly good. Tight, focused and not too "flubby" on the low end.
Really nice mixed in with some 12s

Last edited:

rich85

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread I decided to revisit my youth and picked up a Marshall MG15CDR combo for $80 AUD.

What the hell. It sounds almost identical to a DSL1. It actually has less fizz to it. The 8" speaker can't handle much volume but for home use where I used to use a DSL 1 always in the 0.1 Watt setting this really does the exact same job.

Marshall need to go back to basics and ditch all the on board effects crap from the MG line. I tried out a 30 Watt the other day and couldn't figure out how to turn off the modulation. Its a confusing mess.

mr. rj

Reaction score
Inspired by this thread I decided to revisit my youth and picked up a Marshall MG15CDR combo for $80 AUD.

What the hell. It sounds almost identical to a DSL1. It actually has less fizz to it. The 8" speaker can't handle much volume but for home use where I used to use a DSL 1 always in the 0.1 Watt setting this really does the exact same job.

Marshall need to go back to basics and ditch all the on board effects crap from the MG line. I tried out a 30 Watt the other day and couldn't figure out how to turn off the modulation. Its a confusing mess.
Cool, I agree that was a good move. I'm finally satisfied with the amp tone I was looking for. Both the Boss katana and Peavey vypyr didn't quite do it for me. I needed the marshall all along...

mr. rj

Reaction score
Update to my OP, I installed some new 10" Greenbacks and currently breaking them in. My eardrums are very happy and my les paul's are also much happier, so it's a happy ending afterall folks!....time to write some soul soothing tunes!..
marshall greenbacks.jpg
greenback.png

Latest Threads