I want to be able to play like this. What are the steps?

I Break Things

Reaction score
I want to learn to play like the man in this video. Fast, aggressive, lots of emotion, painting a picture with the notes, etc. I saw this cover and just *knew* I want to make music like this, and I'm confident I can get there. With my illness, all I really have is free time.

I know that there are no shortcuts. It's a lot of practice and hard work. That's why I'm making this thread. I would like to consolidate a bunch of information, practice regimens, finger exercises, etc. into one thread as a reference for myself and others tailored towards this style and technique.

Thank you in advance, my friends!

I Break Things

Reaction score
I'm gonna say practice the head shakin first. That would be the start for me ;) ... and end
:rofl:

I tend to rock back and forth to keep time rather than tapping my foot or headbanging. My dad has accused me of looking like a mental patient. :laugh2:

Dick Banks

Reaction score
Start by learning this riff sequence, exactly. You are obviously inspired by it, so it's a great place to start.
Slow it WAY down, and play with a metronome, keep increasing speed until you play it as well as he does, or as well as you want to.
And above all, be patient with yourself. Don't go up to the next speed until you master the speed you ar at.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Start by learning this riff sequence, exactly. You are obviously inspired by it, so it's a great place to start.
Slow it WAY down, and play with a metronome, keep increasing speed until you play it as well as he does, or as well as you want to.
And above all, be patient with yourself. Don't go up to the next speed until you master the speed you ar at.
Thanks, mate. I certainly need to use a metronome. I've been lazy about it, but I need to use it to get where I want to be.

I Break Things

Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice is the only answer.
Right, but are there specific exercises and routines for practices that would help me achieve proficiency in that style? I'm sure it's going to take years, but I'm not sure what to research to begin practicing.

Side Burns

Reaction score
Right, but are there specific exercises and routines for practices that would help me achieve proficiency in that style? I'm sure it's going to take years, but I'm not sure what to research to begin practicing.
Start by downloading a metronome app and practicing that song a rif at a time. If you learn a song you like first it will be fuel to practice more drills and discover more.

In order to become a pro, they say it takes 10,000 hours....8 hours a day * 5 days a week for 5 years.

Dime got me excited about guitar as a kid. listen to just his solos. You can hear decades of inspiration. I swear you can hear some Gibbons in there. Lol

Last edited:

Dick Banks

Reaction score
As far as "practice," I don't play anything that I don't have an emotional attachment to. And stuff that I LIKE, I play pretty well.
It's only semantics, I know, but I consider "practice" to be doing something that you may or may not enjoy, so that you get good at that which you do enjoy. Works for others; has never worked for me.
Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, and EVH are GREAT because they have a difficult time putting the instrument down, ever.
Just PLAY the guitar; let the football team "practice."

I Break Things

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Are there any reliable sources for tabs or sheet music? I've got a bit of deafness that can make faster, complicated music more difficult to learn by ear, especially some of the high gain stuff.

gadafi

Reaction score
Hey bro your disability may be to your advantage as your other senses increase to compensate for those that are diminished... just take a look at such legends as Blind Lemon Jefferson, Blind Willie Johnson and Django Reinhardt....

Deafness may be a small setback for a musician but if you play loud enough you will be able to feel the groove in the seat of your pants.

Kudos to the dude in the vid, not my kind of music but he is cutting sick for sure.

zamdrang

Reaction score
Great tips here, I've been playing since I was 13 (now 47). I got into guitar because I liked the same kind of stuff...by the same kind I mean fast, technical and lots of feel. The advice to use a metronome, start slow and master it before speeding it up is the best piece of advice anyone could give you and one I wish I had applied from day one.

paradice

Reaction score
I'll just throw in these two videos and say these have been the most useful videos I've watched in 20 years (on and off...) trying to shred!

finding out what hand position etc is right for you whilst following some fundfamentals......and pushing the speed up past your ability then trying to control it being the main things

Last edited:

Latest Threads