I want shimmering cleans... is Fender the only way to go?

Daddio2828

Reaction score
I never saw if you were looking at used amps, If so I'll throw my suggestion based on some amps I have owned or still own.

Mesa Express 5:50 version 1 or 2. These are always popping up for sale on local classifieds anywhere from 800 to 1300 Cdn.

They can be found in 2x12 combo's but mine is a 1x12 sitting on a Mesa Widebody 1x12 Open Back. 2 channels with 4 gain stages between them. The clean channel is absolutely amazing.

Fender Custom Deluxe Reverb reissue

All around a super amp, not a ton of headroom compared to my Mesa but better imo than a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue which I used to own.

Another option worth looking at may also be the new Fender Bassbreaker 30r.

SGeoff

Reaction score
hey Bling, looks like you already decided. i was gonna say, my Phaez Corona does clean probably better than the Daisycutter does. its 25 watts, based on blackface circuit, and I was just noticing the other day how big and shimmery clean the tone was. you won't go wrong with the 68 reissue i am sure..it may even be a similar circuit to what Randy used for the Corona

moreles

Reaction score
I'll simply reiterate Tazzboy's comment about backing off the pickup volume at the front end of your signal chain.

fry

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I was in a music store with a friend a couple years ago. He plugged into a Supro. I thought it was the most pristine clean sound I had ever heard. I can’t for the life of me remember which model it was, though.

CCK

Reaction score
You got Blackface Fender cleans, the high wattage / big speaker ones.
Roland JC-120 cleans.
Then, you also have those KT-88 type "huge headroom from a mean amp" cleans.
Always got the "straight into PA" type cleans, also.

"Clean" means something different to every guitarist.

If you want to have actual clean sound at drummer volume, though, you need lots of electrons moving through big transformers and speakers. Huge caps in the power supply and either large bottles or big transistors in the power amp section.
Fender is my choice, but the JC-120 has "it" too. Used to do contract work for a local production company. Provided everything from PA, to lights and backline. We used to call the Roland JC-120 the "Jesus Christ 120". New guys would ask why, when you pick one up you'll know why:)! Great amps, and a pretty good value on the used market.

John Ucol

Reaction score
I've tried some PRS amps, along with MESA/Boogies that have been my staple for years. I've had good results with MESA. Apart from the Lone Star, I found that my old F-series had a nice clean channel, both for shimmering stuff and as my main for jazz gigs and fat cleans.

Onto PRS amps, I've had some nice results with some of the old-school voiced amps like the Dallas which had some shimmery cleans. Same thing out of my Archon (as well as the MT-15 I tried out), and it's main thing is serving as a high gain head. For a high gain head, the clean channel is stupidly good; it can be Fender-ish, but I think it's still more akin to doing its own thing.