I Want Kossoff Tone

HenryHill

Reaction score
What amp sounds like a Matamp, at living room volumes?

Tidewater

Reaction score
A plexi with a 5kpF bright cap with on about 3 with lots of army blankets to muffle it. Living room.. hmm... probably 6 blankets.

Unless you meant leads, then you are going to need lots more blankets and the amp needs to be on about 7.

Maxwell

Reaction score
There was a question posted recently about achieving Bloomfield tone. It's a similar story really. You have to play loud and really get the amps working hard so they're breaking up and sagging a little and moving air.
Maybe a way of achieving something similar at low volume would be to crank a low wattage amp through a 2x12 cab.
Also if you were referring to studio recordings, I believe he sometimes played through a Leslie cab.

cheetah77

Reaction score
A plexi with a 5kpF bright cap with on about 3 with lots of army blankets to muffle it. Living room.. hmm... probably 6 blankets.

Unless you meant leads, then you are going to need lots more blankets and the amp needs to be on about 7.
And at least one 4x12 with G12H30 Greenbacks, 55hz.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Practice his right hand technique.
More than any other single thing, picking attack and rhythm have the greatest influence on "sounding like" someone else.

Most people we know and admire were not limited to only one tone.

Louie

Reaction score
Don't forget a light touch of the left hand and a perfect vibrato technique.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU]Free - "Moonshine" - live - best guitar solo ever (Paul Kossoff) - YouTube[/ame]

ant_riv

Reaction score
Great info here already.

One key ingredient to most of the "classic rock" tones is the impact that that much volume imparts on speaker break up. That component cannot be overlooked if you truly want to get there, and unless you use the blankets suggested by Tidewater, it won't ever fully happen.

HenryHill

Reaction score
What are defining features of the Matamp he used in a bunch of YT vids?

What preamp and power tubes was that thing built with? I realize it was an Orange subcontract build, but if I looked for a lower powered amp iwht the same basic architecture, what is it gonna be built like?

Is there a modern Marshall that pulls it all together like that Matamp did?

Bling posted this recently and I've seen some others from a gig where he used a Matamp.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5wbYP5xkQ]FREE - FIRE AND WATER(STUDIO LIVE 1970) - YouTube[/ame]

HenryHill

Reaction score
What makes me think I'm fvcked unless I build/buy a Matamp clone AND a couple Marshalls is this vid.

I just figured by now that they'd come up with a way to get 'there' directly with one amp and no pedals.

His rig looks seriously involved.:shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI1FT0a_bos]FREE - SONGS OF YESTERDAY(STUDIO LIVE 1970) - YouTube[/ame]

All the tones I want to emulate are 80 or 100 watts mandatory. :p

Seems I need to crank a Twin or a Plexi or fohgedaboutit. :(

Maxwell

Reaction score
I've played through an original matamp a bunch of times. I know a guy who has one. There quite an aggressive and raw amp.
I can't remember exactly what's in it but as a guess I think it was pretty basic. Something like 2 EL34s and only a pretty small preamp section. Only like 2 pre valves or something. No rectifier valve either.
Sorry it's so vague but that's all I can remember. Too busy playing it!
To my ear it was EQ'd less midsy than a Marshall but not quite as bright as a fender.
I'm sure someone else here has some more solid info!

Maxwell

Reaction score
I will probably get roasted for saying this but I reckon a 50w plexi spec'd up just right with a good quad, probably greenbacks cranked right up but with an attenuator or good MV to just make the volume slightly more manageable - it will still be real loud bit I reckon you would be pretty happy. But no... Not lounge room vol...

karatblackndekar

Reaction score
The clips with Orange/Matamp gear are from a concert played with house backline I believe.Koss used Marshalls most of the time.

Tidewater

Reaction score
A 50w'er will be successful. A 100w will be really successful. Stock '69-'72 amp does it without even trying. He has lots of ungainy kerrang. Raw(r).

karatblackndekar

Reaction score
Yep,it`s just a powerful clean sound really,like many of that period.
You have to be able to really play for that stuff !

DEMENTED

Reaction score
I don't think a living room amp is gonna sound like what you're after.

Latest Threads