I want it but do I need it?!

daithesaes

Reaction score
It's a stupid question really because we all know the answer will pretty much always be 'do it' but here goes....

First some background: I've always wanted an SG. Love 'em; think they're great guitars.

I have x2 80's MIJ Burny's and they are fantastic guitars and really should be all I need in humbucker land.

However, I also have a MIK PRS SE Santana 2....great playing guitar but couldn't really bond with it tonally until today when I slapped in a couple of 2nd hand Tokai Mk2 PAF's that I picked up cheap on the 'bay......wow! Complete transformation and now the tone of the PRS matches the playability.

Now, back to the SG. I have the option of a great deal on a Tokai SG75 and even though I'm skint I'm seriously considering it.

Thing is, given the Burny's and the newly rejuvenated PRS, do I need it tonally?

The PRS to me has the improved upper fret access the SG would give me....the tone on the PRS is now very similar to the Burnys and what I would imagine an SG to be like (last played one years ago so going on memory really).

I'm not sure I do need it......do I want it? Hell yeah!!

What say the collective?

daithesaes

Reaction score
Not a single person here can answer that for YOU.
Good point well made and of course tone is a completely subjective thing.

What I'm trying to get to is I think the PRS and SG are similar guitars in terms of weight and fret access.

Now the PRS sounds (with a set of Tokai Mk2 pups and to me) slap bang in PAF land, and I'm guessing a Tokai SG75 (with Mk3 Tokai pups) will do too, is there really any point in pulling the trigger on the SG?

My head (and wallet) say no but my heart says yes!

Nobody can make this decision for me and I don't want or need them to; just curious what people's opinions are on it.

Lowcaster

Reaction score
I know the difference between need and want, and I think it doesn't apply to guitars.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
An SG, made by Gibson, sounds slightly different that one made by anyone else. The wood, finish, neck, etc etc, all add to it's unique tone. I have an 06 Faded special SG, and LOVE then neck pickup with a passion. The bridge pickup was useless to me, until I changed it out to a Duncan P-rails. But I digress...............
You want an SG, then get a SG. get a REAL Gibson SG. If not, then be happy with what you have.

paco1976

Reaction score
Well, most people in the forum have 6+ Les Pauls. Do you think they need them all tonally? :)
If it's going to make you happier, buy it. It's all about that, and the chance of grabbing a great instrument for a few bucks when the opportunity arises...

paco1976

Reaction score
An SG, made by Gibson, sounds slightly different that one made by anyone else. The wood, finish, neck, etc etc, all add to it's unique tone. I have an 06 Faded special SG, and LOVE then neck pickup with a passion. The bridge pickup was useless to me, until I changed it out to a Duncan P-rails. But I digress...............
You want an SG, then get a SG. get a REAL Gibson SG. If not, then be happy with what you have.
With due respect, I don't think a Tokai SG75 is below a Gibson SG standard. Tokai are really good instruments, specially back int he days they were produced in Japan.
Actually Stevie Ray Vaughan recorded Texas Flood album with a Tokai stratocaster, he was endorsed by them until '85 if I'm not wrong.

babalooga

Reaction score
You know you want it
You know if you don't get it you will always regret it
You can always sell it if you don't like it
Want it, need it, just buy it, you can thank me later :laugh2:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I didn't say, nor never claimed it was "below a Gibson...". but in all honesty and reality,. it's NOT a Gibson SG. I am not knocking the Tokai, but the answer is simple. You want one, just admit it to yourself and go get it.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Premium Member
Reaction score

Victek

Reaction score
Now, back to the SG. I have the option of a great deal on a Tokai SG75 and even though I'm skint I'm seriously considering it.

I'm not sure I do need it......do I want it? Hell yeah!!
You've mostly defined "need" in terms of sound and playability, but style does come into it. In other words if you particularly like the shape/look/feel of the SG then that's valid. Another good question is do you tend to fall in and out of love quickly with gear. I sometimes get a hankering for a new bit of gear which I satisfy with something inexpensive like an FX pedal. Then if it doesn't work out or I just lose interest it's not a big deal. Guitars tend to be more expensive so I take it slower with purchases to try to make sure I only buy "keepers". Hope that helps.