I want an 70's/80's metal amp that does it all for the price of a Happy Meal. Help.

crashprime

Reaction score
Find a used Jet City; just pick the wattage you need. 70's/80's/90's metal all day long. I had a JCA100H for a while and it crushed. I currently have two JCA22H's running in stereo into two 1x12 cabs. Happy camper.
Oh wow, I actually see a JCA2212 (the combo version of that head) locally for $250. Even better on the budget, and a lot more headroom @20w. Looks like it has a Soldano SLO circuit on the lead channel... \m/! Man there are a lot of cool options out there!

joshuatree725

Reaction score
I have not tried Jet City but seems like many people are recommending Jet City 20 amp for the OP.

Here is a link to Jet City 20 Half Stack (head and 1x12 cab) for $349 at AMS. Now that is a price of a Happy Meal that you are looking for. Ok, maybe 100 Happy Meals but that is still a good deal and fits in your budget.

Jet City JCA2012HS Half Stack - $349

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I also had the chance to play around with a Mustang III at the same shop, and it was kinda complex to use at first, but I'm sure easy enough to learn. The problem I had was it had this awful buzzy sound on the clean channels which I guess is pretty common for them. It almost felt defective, but apparently after a little reading, it's just a common trait of the Mustang 3-5's. Also, it's processed sounds reminded me ever so slightly that MG Marshall that I hated. I can't see myself going that direction.
The stock presets that come setup are pretty bad, becuase they have fuzz pedals and distortion on with some delay and other effects besides what ever amp model was being used and it can get weird sounding. On the Mustang III if you want to try it out from a base amp models mode, go to the 88-99 preset range and there is the basic amps models and you can adjust the gain and such to your liking and there a lot less buzzy by a long shot. The Deluxe and Twin reverb models are not buzzy at all, and very clean, that Fender nice clean almost like a true Deluxe or Twin Reverb on that Mustang III with the open back and Celestion speaker.

That is a great price on the Jet City, I would get it if I were you.

Comanche

Reaction score
I think a Mustang III would work.
Under $300 and 5 year warranty.
A used Blackstar HT40 is ideal however.

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you'd even be considering solid state for older metal/rock tones I'd go peavey bandit or a Randall RG8040 combo. I HATE the Mustangs for metal tones personally. IMO, just not enough cut or presence, not enough power to the tone.
Jet City as others have mentioned is a great option, blackstars, or don't laugh....
The Lee Jackson designe Crate Stealth series.

Tweaker

Reaction score
Another vote for the Tweaker from me. I have one and love it. Throw a Wylde Overdrive in front of the hot channel and you have killer high gain sounds. Plus if your taste in music changes over time, so will the Tweaker. Very versatile amp. Huge value for the money!

logen99999

Reaction score
Good luck finding a VTM...these things, in either 60 or 100-watt guise are harder than hell to get ahold of(and usually go for well over $500)...and with good reason.

From personal experience, the BlackStar HT Club 40 or Club 60 combo amps are ones to watch for, and also might consider the Peavey ValveKing series(the VK takes a few small mods to fine-tune, as well as ditching the stock speaker for a Celestion 70/80), and can get the job done with nothing more than a good set of tubes.
i see 2 on ebay right now. under 600$

they would destroy most production amps under a grand. and are way more giggable because of the added kick and girth.

crashprime

Reaction score
+1 You could also get a new Tweaker head around $300 with the discount and a cheap cabinet for around $100 to $120 and again your at around $425 with a bit more versatility and some geat "Tweakability".
Just a quick question, what is the "with the discount" you are talking about? That sounds like a solid deal.

bfgamps

Reaction score
Check out some of my Jet City mods, they are reasonably priced and all of those tones you listed can easily be achieved without a pedal. The 22H is the best choice since it's 2 channels with a nice loop. Link in my sig.

Brian

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Just a quick question, what is the "with the discount" you are talking about? That sounds like a solid deal.
There is a 15% off $149 or more spent right now at GC and MF, so you get $15 off per hundred, which is around $52 off the amp which runs $349.

dfwadjuster

Reaction score
Another vote for Jet City...the 20 watt, per Soldano himself is the Atomic 16, which I've read is basically a Marshall JCM800 with EL84's, so there's your Metal amp of the 80's. Or at least in some folks opinion....

I have the combo, and we do cover some Sabbath, Priest and AIC, the JC can get there easy. To be honest, since we cover other stuff, I set the amp for more of a classic rock OD, and push it with pedals on the heavier stuff.

studio1087

Reaction score
The JCA20H and the JCA12S are normally $499 for the half stack but I've seen them for $349 new (for the pair).

American Musical Supply is selling the half stack for $349 right now - here's the link...

Jet City JCA20H Half Stack - link

An additional JCA12S cabinet will cost about $170 if you want the full stack some day.

Mine......

The cabs are oversized 1 x 12's and they produce a lot of thump. They'll move your pants. The JCA12H has a lot of gain. I have never put an overdrive pedal in front of this amp nor have I turned the pregain beyond noon. It is very loud and crunchy.

Designed by Mike Soldano.

You'll love it.

Custom53

Reaction score
logen stole my "thunder".
I was going to suggest about the same.

Bulletproof as well...for the most part.
Same here... But a Butcher (Not the new ones) is a extremely underated amp also.. Especially if you can find one with the matching cabinet that has the Celestion 85s in it..

crashprime

Reaction score
Check out some of my Jet City mods, they are reasonably priced and all of those tones you listed can easily be achieved without a pedal. The 22H is the best choice since it's 2 channels with a nice loop. Link in my sig.

Brian
HELL YES these are some awesome tones. :slash:

After hearing those clips (and about 2hrs of solid googling that amp) I ran to go check out the JCA2212C someone had locally (which is a JCA22H in 1x12 combo form) and straight away the thing put a smile on my face.

I really really appreciate all the advice this thread afforded me. I had not even researched/considered Jet City until they were showing up in every other recommendation, and for good reason.

This is the perfect solution. I wanted an out of control Marshall JCM800 Full Stack in a smaller, more manageable package, and a much smaller price. This hits that nerve pretty close!

HAPPY NAD to ME! :D

(now to find one of those expansion cabinets LOL!)

bfgamps

Reaction score
I had no idea you were floating around these parts, Brian.

MLP, listen up...this guy knows what he's talking about. :thumb:
Oh yeah...I'm here after lurking for a long time. I need to quit looking at these LP's...I have too many guitars :laugh2: Good seeing you here John.

Glad you found a good amp crashprime, they are quite versatile.

Latest Threads