I want a P90 Special

Artjr

Reaction score
has anyone played one of the 2020 Tribute specials? I’m not sure about the maple neck. Or should I just put out the money for the regular special. Im looking at new only.

Last edited:

30secs

Reaction score
I have atv yellow baked maple board special with 490s if anyone is interested. Dm

ARandall

Reaction score
Maple is only an unusual wood....for a special.
I was used to great effect on the top-end super 400 acoustic, some studios, and of course the 75-82(ish) Les Pauls of all variants (and there might be others).
There is no inherent downside to it being on a guitar - the upsides are maybe extra strength and stability in the neck as a generic assessment.
Tone is of course a personal affair from the get-go.

zebras

Reaction score
I played both a P90 special and a special tribute the other day at a shop. They were very close in sound, with sight variance sure, but nothing you wouldn’t expect from two examples of the same exact model.
The neck on the tribute is a bit larger than a 60s but not as large as the 50s neck on the special.
IMO the only down sides to the tribute is the lack of case (the gig bag it comes with is practically useless, and wouldn’t protect the headstock) and the lack of binding. The one i played at least had some pretty rough fret ends, I would expect to do some filing if opting for the tribute. One could pickup a tribute, a file and a case and save a few bucks over the Special.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I have a 2020 special and I hate to put it down. It is a fantastic guitar and well worth the money.

Latest Threads