I want a Gibson. Head Vs Heart!?

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The guitar to buy is the guitar that does what you need, but also the guitar that moves you. It's not as much a logical decision as it is an emotional one. If you get a great PRS and it doesn't move you to play it and you don't have a connection with the guitar, then you would be better off with something else which may not be as progressive in design but makes you happy, love it, and want to pick it up and play it.

My two pennies

Dilver

Reaction score
I own Gibson guitars from multiple periods... 1918, 1972-74, 1993, 2010, 2017 and 2018. All are great guitars. I’m pretty good at picking guitars - Maybe I’m just lucky. Either way, I’ve had more great instruments than duds.

kasu

Reaction score
There are a bunch of great alternatives to a gibsons, but they arent gibsons. Go with the heart, period. Take it from an addict... ;)

wmachine

Reaction score
The guitar to buy is the guitar that does what you need, but also the guitar that moves you. It's not as much a logical decision as it is an emotional one. If you get a great PRS and it doesn't move you to play it and you don't have a connection with the guitar, then you would be better off with something else which may not be as progressive in design but makes you happy, love it, and want to pick it up and play it.
My two pennies
This is a very important thing, to me. I've heard it said that the best guitar to have is the one that inspires you to play the most. Couldn't agree more. That's what Lefty is saying here.
There is nothing more important than that to me.

penguinchit

Reaction score
For the longest time, I wanted a Fender Tele. Blue. I did research and found the G&L Tribute ASAT and it seemed like a superior guitar and it came in a beautiful blue. I figured that would be the one to get me by and it wasn't. It played awesome, sounded great and was gorgeous, but my heart wanted a Fender. So I ended up selling it and picking up an Lake Placid Blue American Special. Plays awesome, sounds great and is gorgeous and says Fender. I think part of it for me is owning an iconic piece of history.

filtersweep

Reaction score
My first guitar was a Gibson (335) and I've got a lot of them in the stack.

But things have changed. I really don't have a lot of nostalgia involving 70-year-old rockers *or* their guitars, and honestly, you can get a much better guitar for much less money these days. It's a bit like dreaming about a '57 Chevy and then getting one in 2018 and finding that the driving experience is old, clunky and dangerous, and that the hot chicks who are attracted to the car are 70-years-old as well. There are companies that will help you put a lot of money into one of the old clunkers to make it handle, accelerate and brake like a modern car, but then you've spent a lot of money, changed everything and it's no longer a '57 Chevy, is it?

Your head will tell you that you can get a better guitar that does all the same things that the Gibson will do and make all the same sounds, but for $500 or less. And you can have that guitar with a neck that will be wide and thin if you prefer it, and that it will have an ebony fretboard and real MOP or abalone inlays and jumbo frets and neck-through construction, smooth neck heel and the same binding on body and headstock as a Custom and a finish that will protect the guitar and not discolor, check, crack, chip or outgas nitric or sulfuric acid. Can't get all that stuff on a Gibson. Your head will tell you that a *cheap* Gibson has only the logo to prop up the price. It's every bit as much a knockoff as the Asian imports, but priced higher and not nearly as well done.

If you're working with some predisposition that says that a "Gibson" is the only way to go, buy it. But IMHO, it's the guitars that Gibson has priced over $3500 that really carry on the whole Gibson thing, and definitely not the stuff that sells for under $1000.
An SG Standard isn’t rocket science. It is Gibson enough for me.

I don’t get your point. I don’t see how getting a PRS ‘copy’ of a ‘Gibson’ is any better.

I like Gibson pickups, their 50s neck carve, and a bit of nitro. I’ve owned Ibanez ‘copies’ of Gibson designs, and the plasticy feel, soft frets, and overall ownership experience did nothing for me. They were decent tools, but little more.

I don’t know what you consider ‘authentic.’ But I find it lame to claim any Gibson or Fender or Gretsch or whatever that was made in this century is inauthentic. A ‘brand’ like Tokai is even lamer. Their entire business model is based on ripping off classic designs. They don’t even have a proper distribution network in the US. The goofy design mods that LTDs use to get around legal issues makes their guitars look a bit off- like using a pointed cutaway.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I have one of each: a 2014 Gibson LP Traditional and an 80s MIJ Burny singlecut. I love and want to keep both of them. It's harder to find the latter locally to try, but if you can find any MIJ to see what you think of them, go for it. And of course play as many Gibsons as you want. Maybe your question will answer itself, or you end up like me and want both of them.

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
"...heart has a mind of it's own"
– Tom Petty

Doubt it'll be your last guitar purchase – if you can afford one, live a little...

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
These replies really represent both sides of the internal conflict I'm having!

I know that I could buy the likes of an FGN or ESP E-ii brand new for the price that I would pay for a used Gibson Standard and this is what's making it hard.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity (guitar will be a 40th Bday present) and I'm not in the financial position to be able to get my hands on this level of guitar (Gibson or otherwise) for the foreseeable future, if ever ( 5 kids, my own fault lol).

There's absolutely no doubt that part of the wanting a Gibson is because I've grown up watching my idols play them, but then you see so many other brands etc being played nowadays (primarily thinking of ESP here, from a metal point of view) that it dilutes that idealistic point of view.
Get a nice Gibby mate and rock it.
I understand what you mean by once in a lifetime opportunity, I got mine out of "terrible" luck, considering I wanted a 7string one^^ it still makes me smile though!

moreles

Reaction score
You are far from alone in wanting a Gibson. By far, those who can afford it and have the opportunity to acquire one do so, in preference to all the other brands listed here, including the MIJ, MIK copies. I have both and I like both. I only buy good guitars, generally used, so none stand out as either crappy or supreme. There are many good reasons for preferring a Gibson. First of all, the good ones play and sound amazing. But also looming large, for me, is originality of design. I'm an artist, and for me the difference between an original and a fake is important. And finally being able to get the real thing was a big deal to me, since I grew up poor. But there are plenty of equally compelling reasons to buy non-Gibson LP style guitars. Some also play and sound fantastic. Some are cheaper. Some are beautifully made. I am a particular fan of FGN and would be very happy with one of their better models. (I own an Orville made by FGN, and it is great.) IMO, excellent used Gibsons can be fantastic deals, if you shop patiently. Don't jump on someone's crapped up, banged up castoff -- wait for a good one. Recently, patience brought me a beautiful '87 reissue '61 Les Paul/SG (3 pickups, white) for $1500! Lack of patience would have brought me a much more ordinary, run of the mill SG for more $. A used Gibson LP Traditional is, IMO, one of the best deals on the market today. Congratulations on this milestone. Don't blow the opportunity!

13thSpider

Reaction score
Have we discussed what features you’re looking for in a Gibson Les Paul?
I'm just hoping for a nice Standard with a 60s neck! My Epiphone has a slim neck and I love it.

Other than that I'm not too fussy!

Thornosac

Reaction score
I got my first les paul earlier this year as a 40th b-day present from my wife, a studio IV, total surprise.
Popped it out of the case and started tuning it, buzzed all up and down the low e-string.
Turns out the neck was twisted. She might have been more bummed out than me lol.
20180223_185330.jpg

I had to return it and she told me to get whatever guitar I wanted, which could have been dangerous lol.
Played a bunch of LPs over the weekend and brought home a 2018 traditional.
20180304_131948.jpg

It was exactly what I wanted, just took 2 tries.
She says it looks classier than the studio anyway :p

Attachments

Mockbel

Reaction score
I was in same boat.. tried other single cuts to compensate my passion for a Gibson Les Paul and it didn’t work..

If you want a Gibson and can afford a Gibson, go for a Gibson!!

Frogfur

Reaction score
First mistake you made was looking at the internet for advice. You seem to know what you want.

Second mistake was assuming Gibsons aren't up to snuff QC wise. They are like they've always been. Some have flaws while most are just fine. If you think it was any different in the 50s you're mistaken. If anything today they are probably more consistent.

Lastly there are allot of nice clean well cared for LP guitars out there. Don't let some moron try and burn you price wise, they're still just guitars no matter how you slice it. Like allot of things, when you want something it seems like the Bee's Knees, then when you get one it'll be like ok, sweet, but not the end of the world.
I have a nice one. I like it, i play it, but there are others i have i like just as much or more much of the time.

Guitars are just tools in a tool box. Nothing more, nothing less, and music is just for fun. Lose sight of that and your screwed.

Best of luck.

splatter

Reaction score
I think we have all suffered from what you are talking about to some degree. I have 3 gibsons ,a 2017 les paul standard, a 2011 Flying V and a 2018 Explorer. I also have a Kiesel CS6. The Kiesel is my #1 by far. Its just a step above the Gibsons. I've played Gibsons for years and if you can find a good they are great guitars but there are better options at lower prices.M y Kiesel in case your not familiar with them is a LP shaped guitar with a Floyd which makes it comparable to the LP Axcess. It was about $5000 cheaper than an axcess with the same options and a much better guitar. I had one so I know.
So I would say go play a lot of les pauls along with whatever other guitars you may be looking at and then decide.