I wanna upgrade the pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 2012

Metabohai

Reaction score
I have this thing about buying cheap.
Cheap is cheap is cheap.

Value is what one should be aiming for.
It's a personal opinion and you can try cheap pups if you want to but I would look for
Seymour Duncan's. They sound very good, they are priced right and they have a nice resale value.
Also you can choose a model according to your playing style.
I have heard many SD 59's in all kinds of guitars and they always sounded good.
For Blues, Rock, they deliver the classic tones.
Other models are more edgy if needed.
The site has "tone samples".
Have a listen!
Good luck with your search!

https://www.seymourduncan.com/products/pickups/electric/humbucker
I agree thats why i made the post in the first place. Seymour duncans are like 200-300 bucks for the set thought and I dont want to pay that much currently. Im 100% trying some out in the future but until then Id like an alternative to what I have at the moment. Im not even sure if upgrading the pickups will solve my problem. The guitar itself sounds fine but too muddy/bassy plugged in and I suspect its the pickups.

Metabohai

Reaction score
Lower the pickups, raise their screw poles, and wire an 0.047uF tone cap in series with the muddy pickup(s) hot lead. That will cut the machine-wound muddiness by lowering the effective capacitance. You don't need new pickups. Pots 'n Caps can also be swapped if you need more tone push (they push even when dimed).

OP, be cautious with SDs ... I find them often muddy. I'll pull them and put in ebay import humbuckers that measure half the capacitance (which is just what boutique hand-wound pickups provide). GFS can be muddy. Look for the under $20/set pickups and you can have some fun. Or ... mod the control circuit parts around whatever pickups you have to push the tone. Pots have a 20% tolerance range and max/min does the same kind of tone shift you already know of choosing the 250kohm/500kohm volume pots will do.

I am not tech savvy at all. That being said that sounds like huge advice and I will definitely try to read into it. I know two people who could really help me with that stuff so I am not completely alone but that is very helpfull. Thank you very much!

Metabohai

Reaction score
I never said they weren't any good, they might be stellar. Just don't expect to buy an Epiphone product and be of the ones that endorse counterfeiting. It's the same as buying a fraudulent CD copy of your preffered band. You're ripping off an American company.

Pickup construction is not rocket science, not many variables there. Nowadays cheap doesn't necessarely = bad crappy quality. Access to technology has come a lonnnng way since the Sears guitars.
There's no point in going round and round over this... again

Regardless of anyone's opinion (including my own), the fact remains that there is absolutely ZERO proof that these products are not genuine. So there's nothing to argue about lol

And the OP should be free to try them without being labeled as a supporter of oounterfeiters.
I cant say for sure if they are fake or not but I personally think they are counterfeit. They are definitely made without Epiphones permission. That being said I dont see it as ripping off Epiphone if you are buying them simply because they have stopped distributing them themselves. If I was able to buy from them I would do it and the ones from China are the second best thing (maybe lol). 30 Bucks is not that much money for everything included and I will probably try them out if not only to mod them like jvin248 recommended. Im not 100% sure yet but so far I havent found anything similar in the same or atleast a bit cheaper like your average Gibson burstbucker or Seymour duncan pickups.

DrBGood

Reaction score
I too would say, start by getting your screwdriver out and experiment. Adjusting height is the fastest, easiest, cheapest and most efficient way to a great tone with most electric guitars. It's fun and very rewarding when you find that sweet spot and realize that you could have thrown these pickups away without knowing what they had to offer. It is also completely reversible in a minute and so much fun. If you want clues on where to begin and what to look for, I can help.

If by then you're still not satisfied, I personally would take my chances with those.
https://www.ebay.com/str/guitarmadnessguitarmadness/59ers/_i.html?_storecat=21462306018
They receive great reviews everywhere. Look them up on YouTube.

fry

Reaction score
Guitar Madness seem to completely have shut down? I didnt find anything on ebay.
Look for “g.m.” rather than guitar madness. They are definitely on there. Imported stuff for sure, but great value. Lots of offerings from them.

Metabohai

Reaction score
I too would say, start by getting your screwdriver out and experiment. Adjusting height is the fastest, easiest, cheapest and most efficient way to a great tone with most electric guitars. It's fun and very rewarding when you find that sweet spot and realize that you could have thrown these pickups away without knowing what they had to offer. It is also completely reversible in a minute and so much fun. If you want clues on where to begin and what to look for, I can help.

If by then you're still not satisfied, I personally would take my chances with those.
https://www.ebay.com/str/guitarmadnessguitarmadness/59ers/_i.html?_storecat=21462306018
They receive great reviews everywhere. Look them up on YouTube.
Yea exactly I didnt even know it could change the tone or thought it would just alter it a bit. I will experiment a bit and see if the pickups can satisfy my needs. Also cheers for the link I didnt realize they were still active but might need to check for shipping costs into the EU.

Metabohai

Reaction score
Look for “g.m.” rather than guitar madness. They are definitely on there. Imported stuff for sure, but great value. Lots of offerings from them.
Yeaaa the guy above you posted the Link so in the end I did find them altho I have to check the shipping on those.
Edit: Just checked and realized he excluded every country except for the US so I might have to contact him then.

sparky2

Reaction score
If I owned a budget guitar, and wanted to upgrade the guitar, but didn't want to spend much money on the pickups, guess what I would end up with in the end?

A budget guitar with cheap pickups.

Sort of like a Chevy Chevette with rims purchased from JC Whitney.

just sayin'......

:(

Last edited:

fry

Reaction score
If I owned a budget guitar, and wanted to upgrade the guitar, but didn't want to spend much money on the pickups, guess what I would end up with in the end?

just sayin'......

I get that, but Probuckers are quite a bit nicer than the old Epiphone stock pickups. It would be an improvement.

sparky2

Reaction score
Hey there,

I wanna upgrade the pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 2012. They sound muddy to me and I feel the humbuckers on my Kramer pacer classic sound hotter and clearer. So I wanted to go as cheap as possible. And started to look at the burstbuckers of gibson. Then through searching found out about the probuckers from Epiphone. These are avaible on ebay for 50 bucks but I think the people who sell these just resell the ones you can get from Aliexpress. So i went on a rabbithunt to find out if these could be genuine. I stumbled upon that video here "
" that had some good points but other people pointed out that just because they have the same "stats" and are built similar that they might still be fake or not genuine. Some other people recommended tonerider and so on. And Im bascially stuck now. Id like to try the Aliexpress ones for 30 but Im scared of getting ripped off basically. You got any other recommendations (set for 100 bucks maybe?). Also is there a way to test on Authenticity if I get these? Im looking forward to some suggestions or advice.

Much love Meta

Meta,

I have some genuine Gibson pickups from my 2017 Gibson Les Paul Custom Studio.
Double slugs Alnico 5 DS-A5 Rhythm and DS-A5+ Lead humbuckers.

PM me, and I'll mail them to you, for free.
They are great pickups, but I have put a Pearly Gates and a Dimebucker in that guitar, and have no use for these otherwise fantastic Gibson pickups.

Sparky

double slug specs.PNG

LP1865

Reaction score
Guitar Madness seem to completely have shut down?
They do not ship outside north america.
Try Tonerider or Warman pickups if you are in Europe.
Tonerider makes fine pickups, top notch in quality. I have a set in my no. 1 guitar

Metabohai

Reaction score
Meta,

They are great pickups, but I have put a Pearly Gates and a Dimebucker in that guitar, and have no use for these otherwise fantastic Gibson pickups.

Sparky

View attachment 531763
Woww Im stoked! Thats such a nice offer thank you very much. Ill dm you and see if we can figure out how to do it :).

Metabohai

Reaction score
They do not ship outside north america.
Try Tonerider or Warman pickups if you are in Europe.
Tonerider makes fine pickups, top notch in quality. I have a set in my no. 1 guitar
I have heard about Tonerider before but not Warman yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Look for the under $20/set pickups

just sayin'......

I guess that covers it.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
Before canning your stock pickups. Adjust them to where they are very close to the strings. Also, you might adjust pole pieces as well. My stock Epiphone pickups are pretty meh!!! But after adjusting they are usable.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Hey there,

I wanna upgrade the pickups on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard 2012. They sound muddy to me and I feel the humbuckers on my Kramer pacer classic sound hotter and clearer. So I wanted to go as cheap as possible. And started to look at the burstbuckers of gibson. Then through searching found out about the probuckers from Epiphone. These are avaible on ebay for 50 bucks but I think the people who sell these just resell the ones you can get from Aliexpress. So i went on a rabbithunt to find out if these could be genuine. I stumbled upon that video here "
" that had some good points but other people pointed out that just because they have the same "stats" and are built similar that they might still be fake or not genuine. Some other people recommended tonerider and so on. And Im bascially stuck now. Id like to try the Aliexpress ones for 30 but Im scared of getting ripped off basically. You got any other recommendations (set for 100 bucks maybe?). Also is there a way to test on Authenticity if I get these? Im looking forward to some suggestions or advice.

Much love Meta
If you're in the USA you can get a used set of Duncan or DiMarzios pickups for $100/set. If you live elsewhere maybe it wouldn't be so easy.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Meta,

Sparky

View attachment 531763
Class act, sir.

Latest Threads