I`ve taken on a tough project.

Caretaker

Reaction score
I`m going through my guitars and trying to determine what are duplicates playability and tone wise.
2 History Les Pauls (Black Custom, Honeyburst flame top standard). Both Nitro
3 Eastman Les Pauls 2 Varnish Standards(red flame/goldburst flame/goldtop P90)GT nitro
1 Edwards Les Paul(tangerine flametop) Nitro
1 Ibanez AS153. Vintage burst 335...poly

Some will be for sale.
Probably 3(one is for sale already).

This will be both fun and a little sad.
Letting a few go.
I just don`t NEED them all and need the space.

And I have a Dean(DBZ) in transit arriving tomorrow.
we will see where that lands.
LOL

I`ll post as I make deisions.
Feel free to ask questions if you like.

Last edited:

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Luckily, I have no" tone clones." EVERY one of mine has different pickups and body woods- I have two TOTALLY different LPs- 74 Custom+80 STD. Two Teles- one is Page-wired. I never understood owning "duplicates?"

"Yeah, I have 20 humbucking guitars........

Why?

Caretaker

Reaction score
I think I have 2 ready to go(GT and Ibanez) but still thinking and playing.
I`m off this week so I`ll probably play all night.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sell off the "style clones", keep those with a unique style, and adjust the tone with pickups, or 50s/modern tone circuits.
I'd keep the two Historics, the P90 Eastman, and sell the other Eastmans (Eastmen?) and Edwards.

Because everyone needs a Standard, a Custom, and a P90 GT.

judson

Reaction score
ok not to discourage you but....

i went thru all my guitars judging how they sound....mentally remembering which ones maybe should be put up for sale...

then some life things came up and thats my excuse for not selling anything...

so just a week or two back i went thru most of them.....and it was completely different, sound feel, everything...

i know the amp settings were different and made a big difference...

so i gave up and maybe will unload 1 or 2 tops...but i have been saying that for years...

good luck if you can part with a few, i know its healthy, i just get lazy and put them back in the case, keeping the best that day out....until the next test in a month or so..... :dunno:

weird thing...2 resonators, the 65 non reverse FB and an 83 studio are the 4 sitting out for everyday play....its getting weird, maybe the weather changing....yeah thats my excuse now :rofl:

Caretaker

Reaction score
Sell off the "style clones", keep those with a unique style, and adjust the tone with pickups, or 50s/modern tone circuits.
I'd keep the two Historics, the P90 Eastman, and sell the other Eastmans (Eastmen?) and Edwards.

Because everyone needs a Standard, a Custom, and a P90 GT.
I just can`t make friends with P90s, as hard as I try.
The Varnish eastmans are some of the best guitars I have ever played(playing 47 years).
The Ewards is also a fantastic guitar.
This is tougher that I thought.

judson

Reaction score
rethink the p90s...i bought a set of Lollars and then a second pair......they produce some of the cleanest and distinct tones that i never got out of a humbuck or single coil....they are a sound of their own..

i dont think you will regret it , if you do there is always a buyer for them......

and resonators are the most fun when you are having a few adult beverages and you over serve yourself......tune one to an open tuning and grab a slide..the most fun with your pants on or off... :rofl:

you dont want me to post pictures....

Last edited:

Bluesky

Reaction score
I`m going through my guitars and trying to determine what are duplicates playability and tone wise.
3 Eastman Les Pauls 2 Varnish Standards(red flame/goldburst flame/goldtop P90)GT nitro

Some will be for sale.

Letting a few go.

LOL

If this is what you do on vacation......get back to work!!

Lol.......seriously, I hear you. I'm going through the same thing

jvin248

Reaction score
2 Eastman Les Pauls ...(...goldburst flame & goldtop P90)GT nitro
... Dean DBZ
Those are the ones I'd say to keep.
Headstock risk and drama on the Gibsons.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
rethink the p90s...i bought a set of Lollars and then a second pair......they produce some of the cleanest and distinct tones that i never got out of a humbuck or single coil....they are a sound of their own..

i dont think you will regret it , if you do there is always a buyer for them......

and resonators are the most fun when you are having a few adult beverages and you over serve yourself......tune one to an open tuning and grab a slide..the most fun with your pants on or off... :rofl:

The Lollar P-90 is my favorite P/U I own. I don't think a better P/U can be made IMO. :)

Roxy13

Reaction score
I probably should sell at least a couple more too, but dang it's hard! I chose them all for reasons. I've sent two out the door in the past couple of months and they were the last two in so my bond wasn't as strong lol.

Sct13

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
get rid of them all and start over....(its difficult I know) We get emotionally attached.....but once you cross that hurdle and see that its a commodity and there are thousands of choices, complete extinction events become easier

You need a Les Paul, a Strat and a Tele, And a hollow body of some sort (ES 335 or similar such thereof)...and an Acoustic...(Martin, Taylor, ....Etc) should have all tonal palates covered this way....

The rest is amps and amp settings...

If your into death metal thrash then an Ibanez, Kramer thing....you know the drill

Olds442

Reaction score

Some will be for sale.

Letting a few go.

LOL

so what you're saying is you need a couple acoustics.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score

j, AMEN- new FEZZalbum is ALL P90's= Asheton V, Hamer Goldie, and Mascis Jazz. I think 90's are the best pups in the world.

Latest Threads