I Unhate JB

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
ever listen to him talk about gear....i have said this a hundred times....i rather listen to him talk about gear than listen to him play...he is a walking encyclopedia on alot of different gear...he knows how to buy and what to buy...not knocking his play its great but you can learn a shit ton when he talks.....as well when he plays
And one of the coolest things is that you will not hear him say an unkind word about a fellow guitarist.
He truly is doing what he loves, and has absolutely no problem with others who share his love.

and all the merch with his name all over it people give him shit about?....he tries to keep a straight face but the reason he does that???? people buy that crap...so why not? :dunno:

i would not be surprised one day to see condoms with JB's name on em...when its rolled out you see his full name...:rofl:
LOL!
It is a bit of a joke... when he was talking about his "Bonalocks" on the Premier rig rundown, he commented that for $20 you get a lifetime supply, "losing my ass on these"

Hey... $20, on sale now for $15... for 30 of them, that's cheaper than Fender at $3 for four.

BigJim

Reaction score
Former Joe B "strong disliker" here, also changed my opinion of him.

I went to college in upstate NY, saw the young "Smokin Joe" blasting out SRV covers when he was 12 yo. Kinda shrugged it off (it was the early 90's, everyone was blasting out SRV covers).

Saw an met him during the "Bloodline" era a few times, shrugged it off, as he seemed to progress to copping Eric Johnson licks and tones. Nice guy, just didn't seem to fit in with the other "famous sons" in that band.

When he re-emerged as "King of the Blues", donning expensive suits and hiding behind Ray Bans and a website full of self promotional baubles, it kinda turned me off.

I bought the BCC disc, after hearing it at my metalhead friend's house and digging it, I decided to give JB another chance.

When he came out and spoke up against Echopark Guitars and their "Amos" replicas, it sealed it for me.

NINFNM

Reaction score
It's not that I don't like JB, I'm just not at all into the electric blues thing.
I love les Pauls, but I would like to hear in the LP reviews something different besides all those brit blues licks as always..

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not that I don't like JB, I'm just not at all into the electric blues thing.
I love les Pauls, but I would like to hear in the LP reviews something different besides all those brit blues licks as always..
The Electric Blues is what he is famous for.
But it's not all he does.
Put in a BCC CD, close your eyes, and it's not hard to imagine you are listening to new Zep material. Of course, a big part of is is Jason inherited his dad's arms, but Joe puts on a good Page tone with the LP through the Marshalls.
It's still "blues" inasmuch as Zep was blues-inspired (like pretty much every other band that wasn't Prog/Jazz)

ajory72

Reaction score
If you can last the touring, the crowds, the neg comments, all the while lugging around a crew, whose families you are feeding, an assortment of rare guitars, whilst living up the best you can to some of musics greats, whilst becoming a great... then you've walked a mile in Joes shoes.
More power to him for doing what he loves so much he doesn't stop. :slash: sorry :jb: :cool2:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for JB in the 1st place.
A lot of reasons.
Jealousy? That's one. He's young, or at least started very young. Some could claim that he hasn't "paid his dues" (whatever that means) because he hasn't lived on the street after being booted by his lady.

Some could be people who are resistant to hype, or even anything new. I missed out on enjoying SRV when he was alive, because I resented the LA radio stations calling him "the white Hendrix"... that was heresy in my mind. I already had a distaste for the LA radio market after they overplayed Synchronicity to the point that I couldn't stand to hear Sting's voice.
Similarly, I missed out on KWS in his heyday. Anyone who didn't have anything "on wax" by 1980-1985 has to win me over. Joe won me over PDQ, though I didn't even know about him 2 years ago.

drri

Reaction score
I've enjoyed him thoroughly the past 14 yrs however has he grows even bigger I don't listen to his new stuff as often. The added horns, backup singers, and now a 2nd guitar player (on his latest) album is getting to be a bit much.

having said that, I'll continue to get his albums/DVD and his lapel pins. Not too many artists these days I support so when comes along I like I tend to latch on.

Biston Cafter

Banned
Reaction score
I saw. J B three months ago ... He is technically a great guitar player ,, I just didnt like his set choices .. All deep blues .. I wanted to hear some hits , NONE ,,, Got none so that was a turn off to me ,, but the guy is a phenom on a Les Paul ,, one of todays greats I must say
Your a meatball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Biston Cafter

Banned
Reaction score
I agree good player can be a good guy he got under my skin with his hoarding of tweeds and stuff.Honestly JB how many do you need? I agree with him that you dont need 8 billion pedals to play guitar.
suck it up buttercup

Biston Cafter

Banned
Reaction score
after wading through a number of JB's vid's I'd like to say I like his playing but its like "painting by numbers " comes across, to me anyway, as very formulaic. Maybe he could offer a lot more if he took the starch out his under crackers and strived less for the perfect show.

I do think he is a genuinely nice guy with immense talent and can think of no better hands these wonderful old instruments could be in.........its just the missing thing, I carn't stand his feckin playing
Would love to see a post of one of your songs. Can we do that? Lets have a listen shall we.

Biston Cafter

Banned
Reaction score
Like ANY of you wouldn't have the same intent on collecting like he has given the chance. Give your head a shake and stop being jealous. :)
total jealousy and usually people that cant play. like to fester on other peoples so called shortcomings, when its actually their own.