I Unhate JB

Tinpan

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of his music as he's too good, too clean. One of the best guitarist technically. Just sterile to my ears. Kinda like Joey Dego. (attempt to read Joey's posts again. Miss his shit)

Anyhow, JB is able to afford and enjoy the thing about vintage guitars I think we all dream/dreamt about growing up playing in the mirror with our cheapass axe's we could afford as kids at the time.

His fame has afforded him the chance to live a guitarists ultimate dreams. I love the fact that he knows and learned what is important about the guitars we all grew up loving.

He is a true guitar and amp geek and for that I love to watch these videos. Aside from all my guitar heroes, I think he's the only one who really gets the impact that certain sounds and guitars have on us and is in the wonderful position to own and experience this himself. I'm truly glad all these amazing guitars and amps ended up in his care and he is knowledgeable enough to know why they are important. Kudos to JB.

I saw JB in Phoenix a couple years ago - our band and wives. My buddy says he will will play exactly 2 hours and two minutes. Great show, and he played exactly 2 hours and two minutes. No encores.

Tinpan

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the hate against him.
He brings the best sought after guitars to the show
and permits thousands of people to hear them plugged in equally
sought after amps. Just for that, he should be "un-hated"

And he can play. Like his style or not, he's a great player.
I didn't know of him for a long time but when I heard him
with Beth Hart, I had a "fell on my ass".

To the haters, try to play this song.
(he clams at 5:22 showing he's human after all (lol)
but 5:28 to 5:38 will make your jaw drop!)

Like you - I like JB and have seen him play live. I have the Video recorded of him playing Albert Hall - great show. He steps on it once in awhile and loses people by saying things like “real guitar players don’t use effects, they get their sound from the guitar and amp”. My comeback to him if he said that directly to me would be “so Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton were/are not real guitar players?” Again, I like JB and would pay to see him again.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
Have seen him multiple times and always puts on a great show. Last time I was able to score center front row floor seats.

23030578489_5412c4a96b_b.jpg

Cheers to you and yours, awesome seats you bought there wow!

Kashmir

Reaction score
Not a fan of his music as he's too good, too clean. One of the best guitarist technically. Just sterile to my ears.

Joe's talent is beyond many, but other guitarists are the same in today's recording world. It's what I can't stand about most of Clapton's modern day blues as well. Way too clean and neat. It misses everything about the validity of the blues. And the music is way too full. Gone are the days of three instruments and a vocal, with tedious spaces throughout.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

that first page is the JB starter kit :laugh2:

...nothing against him, but all I ever hear is that CoD intro.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I saw him a few years back on the "3 Kings" tour. Great show. :jb::jb::jb:

There is a DVD / Blu-ray out of that show " Live At The Greek" and it is indeed a really great show featuring the songs of the 3 Kings. Reese Wynans on keys / Anton Fig on drums / Michael Rhodes on bass / Kirk Fletcher!!! on rhythm guitar.
Really great 3 some back up singers / trio of horns. Included booklet even lists all the guitars / amps and pedals he used on stage. Fantastic audio and visual.
If your looking for live performance entertainment in your own home I can't recommend this highly enough.
BP

blu68caddy

Reaction score
I don't understand the hate against him.
He brings the best sought after guitars to the show
and permits thousands of people to hear them plugged in equally
sought after amps. Just for that, he should be "un-hated"

And he can play. Like his style or not, he's a great player.
I didn't know of him for a long time but when I heard him
with Beth Hart, I had a "fell on my ass".

To the haters, try to play this song.
(he clams at 5:22 showing he's human after all (lol)
but 5:28 to 5:38 will make your jaw drop!)

Dude can play

frogmore

Reaction score
I always get a kick out of the criticism of Joe B that he's "too good" or "too polished". Yeah, he really needs to dial in a dusting of suckage. :laugh2:
Sharpest comment on the subject. :cool:

lloydloar

Reaction score
So here's my JB story...

I had just purchased an early '57 Goldtop and I had "meet and greet" tickets to see Joe. When we met him (we were at the end of the meet and greet line), I mentioned that I had just purchased the Goldtop and he immediately asked my wife and me to accompany him to the stage area (this was two hours before the show). He proceeded to show me all the guitars he had for the show (he definitely knows a guitar geek when he meets one!). He let me hold his Skinner burst, his blackguard tele, his Mary Kaye Strat and his newly acquired Flying V, among others. He was incredibly gracious and I'll never forget his generosity in letting someone he didn't know take a close look at his guitars. Joe was very cool and it was certainly something I'll always remember. He's a monster player and a great guy!

On another note... if you take a look at some of the small bar-room gigs he's played with Jimmy Vivino, you'll see a different player than you see during his concert shows. He's very creative and inventive extemporaneously and reveals a style of play that incorporates a level of feel that you typically don't see during his concerts.

StudioFan

Reaction score
Why on earth would he?

He was treated like dog poop on here. Rank envy, no more, no less.

That's NOT my opinion, it's FACT. Go back and read the posts.
Yes I know all about it .

I have been here for a while .

You always this bossy ?

Let’s bury the hatchet .

defcrew

Reaction score

that first page is the JB starter kit :laugh2:

...nothing against him, but all I ever hear is that CoD intro.
A bassist I used to be in a band w played w EJ at the time this came out and was pretty bitter about not having gotten writer credits. I was in a band w him but not even in the same stratosphere in terms of ability. Years later he was in Hank Junior's band and now I think is musical director at some mega church. When I was about 20 he and Allen Hinds--fantastic LA studio guy--used to play around town and I just assumed this was how good one had to be to be in a bar band. Not so much....:laugh2:

Airplane

Reaction score
great player with the best gear... i don’t really like his playing style (the fast stuff) but he’s one of today’s greatest. i just wish he wouldn’t wear those fugly sunglasses!

(edit: only JD Simo is [a lot] „better“ IMO. speaking of the younger, recent players)

t***9

Reaction score
JB is admittedly a fine technical guitar player with a keen sense of blues music history and especially the guitars used to create it. He's done a lot to popularize and educate in both, well done there.

I haven't watched alot of his shows but I felt he to sounded more authentic playing Fenders than Les Pauls, they compensated for something in his persona and gave him an impact and presence that LP's did not. With Eric Clapton I find the reverse, the LP brought to him those qualities that Strat's just don't, much as he loves them.

Another thing about Clapton's playing, and Hendrix plus some others, is I remembered what they played after listening to them, that doesn't happen to me with JB. He hasn't done that internal work (yet) to achieve that imo.

nauc

Reaction score
"but 5:28 to 5:38 will make your jaw drop!"

i must be finally getting good? :laugh2:

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just listened to Black Coffee on vinyl again. Yep, good stuff.

Latest Threads