I turned in my notice -- Next Tuesday is my last day after 22 years at the same place

So What

Reaction score
Good luck to you and your family!

If nothing else, you sure got a set of huge balls on you. Not too many people willing to give up security these days. I hope whatever you decide to do, it works.

Don't forget that you are doing this t improve your family relationships. Owning your own business can really affect these relations when things get tight, or too many family members are involved in the business.

Don't go into a business that has anything to do with your personal interests, like music. You will no longer enjoy your hobby.

And no matter what anyone tells you, DO NOT open a restaurant.

Good Luck!

D-POLAND

Reaction score
well good for you!the reason I am so enthusiastic is after 38yrs 8 mo. the stupidity in the workplace was PATHETIC!retired at 57 with some hard feelings towards some!you know who you are! but my god life is GREAT without all the BS!one doesn't realize the toll it takes!so from a liberated fellow ENJOY!!:wave:

LPG

I PLAY LIVE
Reaction score
The VERY best of luck to you and your family man.

As Thump says....make it happen Brother, make it happen.

Trust me, a lot of people here will be pulling for you...me included.

Call it "envy" I guess.

Blues4U

Reaction score
well good for you!the reason I am so enthusiastic is after 38yrs 8 mo. the stupidity in the workplace was PATHETIC!retired at 57 with some hard feelings towards some!you know who you are! but my god life is GREAT without all the BS!one doesn't realize the toll it takes!so from a liberated fellow ENJOY!!:wave:

I could retire at 55--which would be in 7.5 years---But my son is only 7--so that makes it more like 17 years--I could not hang on that long--and I commend anybody that can-

I really do not have any plans on getting into the restaurant business--but there are many small, profitable pizza/sub/baggle/coffe shops out there with limited hours and great locations--

There are also many other small businesses out there, some cheasp, some expensive, with rather impressive cash flow---to debt ratios--

I won't show my hand just yet--but we have some ideas--

napsak

Banned
Reaction score
Blues4U, I hope nothing but the best for you and your family Sir. Pots of Gold are out there and I know you'll find yours. If by chance you ever make it back our way, I certainly would like to say hi. You're well respected around our household and I'm sure the Old grump feels as I do about this. Of course he'll have to put his two cents worth in and out do me. Have a safe journey.

Blues4U

Reaction score
The VERY best of luck to you and your family man.

As Thump says....make it happen Brother, make it happen.

Trust me, a lot of people here will be pulling for you...me included.

Call it "envy" I guess.

A lot of co-workers, both past and present said they are pulling for us-

A former co worker told me today that he only knows two people that work for this place that he thinks have the smarts, talent and drive to throw it all away and come out the other side better for it--and I am one of them--

So I guess thats worth something:laugh2:

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of owning a family-run restaurant someday. But I've heard the restaurant industry can be pretty cut-throat and just a huge headache to begin with, so I dunno. Whatever you do go into, just work your tail off, hold everyone accountable, be fair, and you'll do just fine.

Blues4U

Reaction score
I've always liked the idea of owning a family-run restaurant someday. But I've heard the restaurant industry can be pretty cut-throat and just a huge headache to begin with, so I dunno. Whatever you do go into, just work your tail off, hold everyone accountable, be fair, and you'll do just fine.

There is money to be made in the Restaurant business, but there are variables that many people do not take into account, and it usually leads to failure-50% fail their first year and another 20% or those fail the next-

Location-Size-debt cash flow to debt ratio and just plain being lazy and having no sense when it comes to serving people, are most of the causes of failure-

If I ever get into this business--it will be small-and in a fabulous location where I have great staff, food and customers---I would never, not ever get into this line of work without a lot of serious homework as to the location and the clientel.

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You've got Basketballs. BEST of luck to you.

Seantk

Reaction score
Good luck! I am in a similar situation having been at my job for 22 years also! I don't have the stones to do what you are doing. I have turned to my guitar and it gets me through each day.

I just read the other threads you posted also. Best of luck with the situation with your oldest.

Sean

Blues4U

Reaction score
You've got Basketballs. BEST of luck to you.

I might just be stupid---:laugh2:

You know, I don't think I have balls---You know what takes balls? A man going into a job every day for 35 years, a job he hates, so his wife can have a nice house-His kids can have cool toys and attend good schools, go to college, all the while, knowingly sacrificing his dreams and desires-The men that do this--they are the ones with balls--I tried to be that guy for 22 years-I have just reached the point - where I am ready to live a little-to do what I want-what we want-my kids have never, not ever done without anything they need--not even much of what they wanted-They have faith in me and my ability to make things happen-I have enough cash socked back to where I can not hit a lick and survive for a few years if need be--This won't happen, as I will start a business and I will succeed--:thumb:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I read this statement written on the White Board in the Tampa Bay Bucs weight room last month--

"Aint nothin' to it

But to do it"

Ronnie Coleman

It's my new motto---

What I posted is my business motto, drilled into my employees, and plaqued over my desk.

Blues4U

Reaction score
What I posted is my business motto, drilled into my employees, and plaqued over my desk.

I have spent the past couple of weeks, sort of feeling down--as I just wanted this situation to be over--and frankly, I felt guilty about abandoning my team--Sounds nuts, as I hate this place--But I really like my entire department, even out manager-It's the beaurocracy i hate-

Now that my secret is finally out there, and I don't feel like I am sneaking around-and I am getting so much support from my co workers, both past and present, I am feeling really relieved-

I am going to jump in and finish my house repairs over the next two weeks--

And I will be ready to leave Mid June--House sitter is already lined up---:thumb:

D-POLAND

Reaction score
what ever you do most people appreciate having, honest,nice, friendly, REAL people to deal with!may not make you a millionaire but thats higly OVERATED!
:fingersx:

Ken

Reaction score
I hope you find the right thing and place for your family. Not knowing you anywhere but from what I've read here, I'd agree with your former co-worker. You've got the drive to make a better life for your family, so you'll get there.

Safe travels, Blues!

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, and the very best of luck to you and yours with the family business. :applause:

Blues4U

Reaction score
Thanks folks. Like I said, I have been encouraged by the out pouring of good will.

I am feeling good about my soon to come departure.

Latest Threads