I turned in my notice -- Next Tuesday is my last day after 22 years at the same place

Blues4U

Reaction score
I have been planning/trying to figure out a way to leave my current employer for a long while-

This thread will give you the back story-

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/bac...ng-away-gainful-employment-starting-anew.html

And this will explain some of the personal reasons we just need to start over and enjoy life for a change-

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/backstage/197024-confessions-husband-father-serious-content.html

I have been keeping this under wraps at work for the past few weeks, as I didn't want to spend the last 2 weeks asnwering the same questions to litterally hundreds of people-

I came into my office for the first time in weeks today and I have been inundated by company, management and field employees asking me questions---

The craziest thing about my day is---I haven't had one person say "WTF--ARE YOU CRAZY-you have it great here--i hope you don't regret this" to a man, and woman, they have all been very supportive and many have said "I wish I had the balls to do what you are doing" etc-

I am hoping to escape without any fanfare/parties or anything of the sort-A couple co workers asked if they could take me out to lunch today--to which I agreed-

I will say this---There is a lot of oportunity out there if you are willing to capitolize on it and jump in with both feet--

People keep asking me if I have another JOB lined up--to which I reply "i don't want another job" it is our plan to start a family business and involve our children in it and spend much more quality time as a family unit-

My emotional status is odd---I am not really scared or unsure---I am really just glad it's almost over-

I have been getting the ocasional PM asking me what was going on and if I am still leaving--I just figured I would give an update-

Thanks for listening--

B4U

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Best of luck to you Sir.

PSM

Reaction score
Good luck, man! I was JUST talking to my fiance about this same type of thing during lunch today when she came to visit. I need to get the hell out of this job and this state! Too much of the same thing! Nothing I planned on doing and I wound up here for the past six years because I needed to start paying some bills and I got way too comfortable with the good, steady money and benefits. Now it's six years after graduating from college (with a degree in nothing related to what I'm doing) and I'm six years behind where I could have been if I hadn't fallen into a random, comfortable spot. I think of the six years worth of contacts and experience and business I could have built if I had hit the road gunnin for what I love, and I'm already getting beyond a point where I could make some of the opportunities work (or have time to build up what I need).

So the current plan is to get married September 1st, at which point the wedding will be paid off, then put all extra money from the wedding and extra money we make in the next 12 months towards paying off every loan we possibly can (all separate school loans, everything else is paid off, such as cars, credit cards, etc). In the meantime, we're gonna do a lot of research on different areas of the country, job markets, etc, and come Spring/Summer of next year, we plan on having enough bills paid down and enough research done to pick a spot and just go for it!

I know it won't be an easy cut from the current safe situations we're in, but we'll be getting close to 30 at that point and I wanna give something like this a shot now while we still have the time to start over once or twice more if it doesn't work out.

Again, GOOD LUCK, man! I really hope everything works out for you and your family! My girl and I were even talking about how we'd like to look into a start-up business option, so we're definitely in the same state of mind. We're just not quite as far along in the game as you guys!

Blues4U

Reaction score
Don't need to do that...talk to whoever is in charge of budgeting/headcount and make them cut you loose. ;)

Doesnt work that way here--unfortunately--

They had a severance package that is contingent on a merger that seems like it is going to be a go--

I wasn't included in the severance this go round--even though I requested it, and I was offered one last year, but wasn't in a financial place to do so-

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck. When I left my postion and walked out the door for the last time it felt like a huge weight had been lifted and I had such a renewed sense of hope. Hope you experience something similar.

gem12

Reaction score
A lot of folks would not do what you are about to coz of the economics conditions. But since you are sure of what you're doing...MORE POWER TO YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!!:slash:

Blues4U

Reaction score
A lot of folks would not do what you are about to coz of the economics conditions. But since you are sure of what you're doing...MORE POWER TO YOU AND GOOD LUCK!!!!:slash:

The economy has created oportunties for us that we might not have been able to afford--

There are a lot of businesses for sale, and not many people looking to buy--This is Oportunity IMO--good financing rates and fair prices-

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The economy has created oportunties for us that we might not have been able to afford--

There are a lot of businesses for sale, and not many people looking to buy--This is Oportunity IMO--good financing rates and fair prices-

Oh, ok..then I suggest acquiring incriminating photographs of the CEO.

Weird Uncle Roy

Reaction score
Well done. It takes balls to do what you did.

I took over my fathers business after he died. 15yrs later I realized that the business was his dream not mine. I sold the business and got a "job" All my frineds thought I was crazy because "you have it so good" and I took a lot of heat from family.
Another 15 yrs have now passed and I'm looking to start a business and involve my nephew and nieces.

You only get one ride....make it count...
Good luck to you

JMV

Reaction score
Good for you, Blues. That kind of life change is no joke, especially after being in the same place for 22 years.

Best of luck to you! You've always been one of the cool cats around here and I hope and pray you're met will success in business, but ESPECIALLY in your family. :thumb:

Blues4U

Reaction score
Good for you! What sort of business do you intend to start?

Funny thing is---There are 3 or 4 business types that appeal to us-And that we have at least some sort of experience in-

There are litterally thousands of fair priced businesses for sale, due to the Baby Boomers retiring--There are a lot of well established, profitable businesses out there with reasonable terms etc-

We are really open to anything that strikes our fancy, in an area we want to live, with both great schools and low crime-

We want mountains or Sea----

We start our first exploritory trip mid June--

Blues4U

Reaction score
Make it happen, brotha ... make it happen.

I read this statement written on the White Board in the Tampa Bay Bucs weight room last month--

"Aint nothin' to it

But to do it"

Ronnie Coleman

It's my new motto---

LongBeach

Reaction score
Best of luck to you and your new venture!

And I know exactly where your coming from with the "you want to quit? you've got it made in the shade"
dont ever wish yourself into someone elses shoes unless you know 100% of everything they do.
Just because someone makes it looks nice, doesnt mean it is. IMO (my current situation anyway)

Latest Threads