I thought throwing rocks at performers was bad enough...

180gROC

Reaction score
Now people are throwing themselves.

Man jumps to death onto stage at Calif concert | Music | Comcast.net

SARATOGA, Calif. — A 32-year-old man jumped at least 20 feet to his death onto the stage of a Northern California concert in front of hundreds of horrified music fans, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The Swell Season was playing an outdoor show at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga in front of a crowd of about 1,900 when Michael Edward Pickels of San Jose jumped Thursday night.

Authorities are treating Pickels' death as a suicide, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Rick Sung said.

Sung said the man left a friend in the audience around 10 p.m. and soon appeared on a roof that covers the stage. Witnesses say he jumped off the roof and landed on stage near the band's lead singer, Glen Hansard.

Witnesses said Hansard removed his guitar and walked over to the man's body.

The jumper was pronounced dead by a doctor in attendance who spent an hour trying to revive him.

The band extended its sympathies in a MySpace post Friday.

"Our hearts go out to the victim who decided to take his own life at last night's gig ... and to his friends and family," the statement said.

Hansard and singer-songwriter Marketa Irglova are known in part for the alt-rock band's role in the 2006 movie "Once." The group wrote and performed the movie's theme song, "Falling Slowly," which won the Academy Award for best original song.

Promoter Live Nation said it would not change its concert schedule.

"We have ample security in place and trained safety staff at every concert and we are committed to ensuring the safety of all who come to Mountain Winery," the group said in a statement. "At the same time, we are working with the local authorities in investigating this tragic incident."

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ah, Darwin.....

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:laugh2:

The band is most well known for their song "Falling Slowly."

Looks like it didn't work for ol' Dingleberry. :laugh2: Falling.... Fastly. :shock:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZYtPOxv50&feature=fvst]YouTube - Falling Slowly - The Swell Season - LYRICS ON SCREEN!!![/ame]

180gROC

Reaction score
I did notice the irony of that. Perfect title for their most popular song...

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of suicide at a height of 20 feet. One could live through a fall like that in a lot of cases. Many have. Too much margine of error to conclusively rule suicide without some corroboration, such as a note or something. Just my opinion.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of suicide at a height of 20 feet. One could live through a fall like that in a lot of cases. Many have. Too much margine of error to conclusively rule suicide without some corroboration, such as a note or something. Just my opinion.

Ditto. They guy was probably drunk. Or an asshole. Or both.

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of suicide at a height of 20 feet. One could live through a fall like that in a lot of cases.

back in 2000 when I was going through lineman training it was said to me that for a fall of 20' you have a 25% chance of surviving.. maybe that was said as bullshit just to make you think when you are 30' up a telephone/power pole with nothing but two 1-1/2" metal spikes keeping you from falling off..

as someone who has spent many an hour "up in the air" so to speak, and having nearly broken my neck on a fall less than 10 ft, I can see where it would be very easy for someone to be killed.. it all depends on how and what the person lands on I suppose.

180gROC

Reaction score
back in 2000 when I was going through lineman training it was said to me that for a fall of 20' you have a 25% chance of surviving.. maybe that was said as bullshit just to make you think when you are 30' up a telephone/power pole with nothing but two 1-1/2" metal spikes keeping you from falling off..

as someone who has spent many an hour "up in the air" so to speak, and having nearly broken my neck on a fall less than 10 ft, I can see where it would be very easy for someone to be killed.. it all depends on how and what the person lands on I suppose.

25% at 20 feet survival rate seems about right. Depending on what you're landing on of course. Concrete, pavement, or a stage? Ouch...

I jumped off a 2nd story roof as a reflex action to my partner having fallen off (still couldn't tell ya what I was thinking. It looked like he landed on his head and I wanted to get there quick) but we both landed on an overwatered newly installed lawn. Him on his side in the fetal position, me on one knee. That was about 25 feet up and we both walked away.

Of course, I left a helluva dent in that lawn. I'm not a small guy... :applause:

On the other hand I've fallen off the third step of a 4 foot stepladder and damned near died. Harder ground.

I honestly can't imagine dude intended to kill himself. He was probably trying to show off.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Heard right before assholes die....

"Hey, dudes! Watch THIS!!!!"

Notorious BFG

Banned
Reaction score
In Native American culture, getting gobbled up by a bear or wolf and getting shit off a cliff is considered a good death. I dont think this would qualify as a good death. Sad there isnt a chance at a re-do.

180gROC

Reaction score
In Native American culture, getting gobbled up by a bear or wolf and getting shit off a cliff is considered a good death. I dont think this would qualify as a good death. Sad there isnt a chance at a re-do.

What did ya have in mind?

Falling into a tank of sharks with lasers attached to their heads would have been way better...

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When i saw Black Sabath at the Filmore West in 73,
a guy on acid tried to fly off the balcony onto stage
he didnt die but he was pretty f'd up. Happend while
Black Sabath was playing. The band didnt even stop
they just let the bouncers pick the guy up and take
him to the hospital.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

depends on how you hit and what you hit
i saw a young healthy guy slip on an ice
coverd sidewalk, hit the back of his head and
died instantly

lp_junkie

Reaction score
In emergency medicine falls greater than 6 ft are sometimes considered critical falls, and it's not the fall that hurts it's the instantaneous deceleration that's a real bitch.

Latest Threads