I think scale length and fret board radius is EVERYTHING

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
I dont consider myself a great player by any means ...BUT i can shred a les paul to a blues backing track all day long , where as i struggle with a strat ...In the end i think the slinky feel of a LP scale and the 12 inch radius makes all the difference. ..Maybe the humbuckers play into it also.......Thats all i have to say about that

Reactions: JMP

Peter M

Reaction score
Les Paul himself was a jazz shredder and the Les Paul guitar was designed with that caliber of player in mind. So yeah, its fingerboard radius invites fast playing.

But how clean the fast playing is rests solely in your hands. ;)

Last edited:

Nintari

Reaction score
If that were the case, Hendrix and SRV wouldn't have gotten out of the bars. lol

MP4-22

Reaction score
The gibson recipe is the one i like.... Strats come with flatter radius too. Maybe you just need to try one like that. My fingers don't notice scale length too much in terms of tension. I like to try to shred on my acoustic so maybe thats why....

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
Hmm. Guess I never really considered this. I haven't played anything but an LP since 2013. Got rid of a Tele and an old Ibanez that year and haven't budged

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For me, it's the radius. Of course, on my 4 25.5 scale guitars are all 12" radius, and I down gauge my strings from my LPs and LP scale guitars. So they feel close to the same.

:naughty:

Last edited:

guitaroholic

Banned
Reaction score
For me, it's the radius. Of course, on my 4 25.5 scale guitars I down gauge my strings from my LPs and LP scale guitars. So they feel close to the same.

same here. almost.
10s on the LPs, per tension calculator (stringjoy website) that's 9.5 on strat scale.
and for Eb tuning I put 10.5 on LPs...

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
For me, it's the radius. Of course, on my 4 25.5 scale guitars are all 12" radius, and I down gauge my strings from my LPs and LP scale guitars. So they feel close to the same.

I was with Jenn A ...we were out running ..lol

uncle mud

Reaction score

Are your 25.5" scale guitars PRS 245?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Are your 25.5" scale guitars PRS 245?
Nope. A Line6 JTV-69S, Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat, Sterling Cutlass CT-50 and a Jensen Stratatone. I didn't mention above the Dood Craft Custom Mimi Tempest, as it has a 25.5 scale, but ahas a compound radius, from 12 to 16.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I have a Thinline Telecaster with a 7.5"-radius ebony FB w/ 22 frets, and a 60s-style short 24.75" scale . This is definitely not a "shredder configuration", but I am pretty fast lead player and I can get up and go on it. It lends itself to some nice string bending work.

dspelman

Reaction score
...stuff about radius and scale...

I prefer flatter radius guitars. Scale doesn't matter all that much.

I think my minimum is about 12", but a lot of Gibsons that spec 12" radius in their advertising actually measure in as low as 10". I really like the 14" (actually, 13.7") radius of a lot of the offshore guitars, and I definitely like jumbo frets better than medium jumbos with flattened tops that I see so much on Gibsons. My favorite at the moment is the 16" radius with jumbos and a 1 3/4" nut width, as seen on the Variax JTV89Fs I have. I appreciate the wider string spacing that produces. That's also a 25.5" scale.

I'm also a fan of thinner necks as opposed to baseball bats, so I have a number of LP-alikes with fairly thin/wide necks with jumbo frets and a flatter radius. And if we're really going to take the whole fretboard thing a bit farther, I should note that I'm a big fan of Ebony fretboards and/or anything that plays like an ebony fretboard

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
I prefer flatter radius guitars. Scale doesn't matter all that much.

I think my minimum is about 12", but a lot of Gibsons that spec 12" radius in their advertising actually measure in as low as 10". I really like the 14" (actually, 13.7") radius of a lot of the offshore guitars, and I definitely like jumbo frets better than medium jumbos with flattened tops that I see so much on Gibsons. My favorite at the moment is the 16" radius with jumbos and a 1 3/4" nut width, as seen on the Variax JTV89Fs I have. I appreciate the wider string spacing that produces. That's also a 25.5" scale.

I'm also a fan of thinner necks as opposed to baseball bats, so I have a number of LP-alikes with fairly thin/wide necks with jumbo frets and a flatter radius. And if we're really going to take the whole fretboard thing a bit farther, I should note that I'm a big fan of Ebony fretboards and/or anything that plays like an ebony fretboard
You would LOVE my old Jackson SL1 ...its everything you just mentioned ...soooooo easy to play

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Gibson scale and radius.

Which is why I asked @LtDave32 to build my Telecaster to these specs.

Makes all the difference to me.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
I dont consider myself a great player by any means ...BUT i can shred a les paul to a blues backing track all day long , where as i struggle with a strat ...In the end i think the slinky feel of a LP scale and the 12 inch radius makes all the difference. ..Maybe the humbuckers play into it also.......Thats all i have to say about that
I would agree. Though it may not be everything, I’m always finding myself bonding more with shorter scale Gibsons over Fender, Ibanez, or PRS. I actually just sold my tele, strat, and Ibanez RG, all longer scale, to fund and make room for an SG special and my LP Jr. Only Fender left in my collection right now is a Charvel super strat.

Last edited:

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For me it's not so much radius as scale. I don't like the longer Fender scale as much as a LP. I'm also less of a maple fretboard player, so when I do play a Strat it had better not be maple on the fretboard. So many variables...

You ought to see a 25 and a 25 1/2 scale laid out next to each other.

It's like they came from two different planets.

LtDave32

President and founder of H.U.G.E.
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I prefer the Gibson scale and radius.

Which is why I asked @LtDave32 to build my Telecaster to these specs.

Makes all the difference to me.

I've got another 12" radius neck in the works right now. I do a lot of them on Fender-style necks.

I've heard from many players who have a Fender or two in their mostly-Gibson arsenal that bending notes on an old 7.25 radius that it feels like you're "bending uphill".

Those who started out on those tight-radius necks don't notice it at all..

Latest Threads