I think Les Paul pancake body's are underrated for metal genre.

R994

Reaction score
I have a pancake body les paul i feel its a riffing machine. Like my other les paul customs i have play or even r9 has a bit of muddiness to it, which i dont find disireable at all for metal sharp prescision attack sounds.

I feel the my r9 is way better when clean sounds but when i am trying to a focused sharp distorted sound while being distorted pancake body is number 1 for me.

moreles

Reaction score
Get over the inferiority complex. It's completely unwarranted and not true. Zillions of hefty pancake LPs were sold and eagerly purchased, and Norlin era LPs are actually very common and popular in metal and hard rock. With their maple necks, they have fast attack, and the hefty bodies are thought to yield good sustain (like Alembics or other hefty builds). I don't know why people talk as though everyone hates Norlin stuff. Zillions were sold and used -- and coveted! Sure, the pancake was a stupid move intended to eliminate warranty claims for warping bodies, but it was a fix for a problem that did not exist. The heavy weight is unpopular now, but was not even an issue when those guitars were made.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Get over the inferiority complex. It's completely unwarranted and not true. Zillions of hefty pancake LPs were sold and eagerly purchased, and Norlin era LPs are actually very common and popular in metal and hard rock. With their maple necks, they have fast attack, and the hefty bodies are thought to yield good sustain (like Alembics or other hefty builds). I don't know why people talk as though everyone hates Norlin stuff. Zillions were sold and used -- and coveted! Sure, the pancake was a stupid move intended to eliminate warranty claims for warping bodies, but it was a fix for a problem that did not exist. The heavy weight is unpopular now, but was not even an issue when those guitars were made.
They're still not very good, even by today's standards. No one should bother buying them in this day and age.

tonybony

Reaction score
If I were recording hard rock or early heavy metal rhythm guitar, I would grab an old heavy Les Paul Custom first.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree! Nobody should buy them.

(So I could get them for coffee money!)
I agreed with haters for years.... so I can buy them for cheap and have the pick of the litter...

.... it worked for a little while..... but they keep getting more and more expensive.... I’m not a seller so this does me no good at all.....a little less love and a lot more hate suits me just fine.

;)

decoy205

Reaction score
My 73 and my 05 R8 can both do metal no problem.

ARandall

Reaction score
You've played every one, then...?

Have you played this one...?
I would have thought as an Englishman that you'd have an instinctive understanding of irony, but maybe the Aussie version of it is a bit subtle.
I mean the guy has 2 clearly norlin era silverbursts as his avatar pic. It doesn't get more obvious than that.

Daniel.S

Reaction score
I would have thought as an Englishman that you'd have an instinctive understanding of irony, but maybe the Aussie version of it is a bit subtle.
I mean the guy has 2 clearly norlin era silverbursts as his avatar pic. It doesn't get more obvious than that.
Maybe I should change my avatar with the three of them in there. Haha

Dilver

Reaction score
Does the pancake construction really have anything to do with what genre it’s good for? I’ve played my 72 LP Deluxe since middle school. While it’s a solid guitar and I’ve enjoyed having it, I wouldn’t say it’s more “Metal” than any of my other Les Pauls. I actually think any Les Paul with a 500T bridge pickup is more of an underrated metal guitar.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be able to. It was made upside down.
You know what? I've NEVER heard that said before. Truly. Honestly. You are the original and the greatest. Honestly. No seriously. You SHOULD give up your day job to be a comedian.

You see, I'm happy to be in the same left-handed company as Orville Gibson, Jimi Hendrix, and Sir Paul McCartney (you may have heard of those three...).

And it's sad you can't play a guitar strung the other way. Some of us can.

Here's your starter for 10. What guitar is this?

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
C'mon AR, gimme a break! I stopped looking at avatars when Malikon stopped using Lexi as his!!! :thumb: :laugh2: :dude:

Snakum

Reaction score
You know what? I've NEVER heard that said before. Truly. Honestly. You are the original and the greatest. Honestly. No seriously. You SHOULD give up your day job to be a comedian.

You see, I'm happy to be in the same left-handed company as Orville Gibson, Jimi Hendrix, and Sir Paul McCartney (you may have heard of those three...).

And it's sad you can't play a guitar strung the other way. Some of us can.

Here's your starter for 10. What guitar is this?

Jimmy who?

Who did he play with? Was it rock music?

Latest Threads