I Think 2019 Will Be a Game Changer

Deus Vult

Reaction score
So....now it’s the June. Has the game been changed? Has everyone here sold their old guitars and replaced them with 2019 models?

I was sad to see Gibson made Seymour Duncan, and Dimarzio and throbak and countless others go out of business.

jktxs

Reaction score
I'm still seeing some 2018 specs rolling in in Japan, with serial numbers in the 3700+ range for R9s. Crazy considering it's already halfway past 2019. The 2018 backorder log must be huge.

caloyburger

Reaction score
I'm still seeing some 2018 specs rolling in in Japan, with serial numbers in the 3700+ range for R9s. Crazy considering it's already halfway past 2019. The 2018 backorder log must be huge.
Case in point...my next R9 is actually a 2018 model, with a 2/4/19 inspection tag date. It’s got all features of 2018, serial number and all. Great guitar.

I think the changes in 2019 will resonate for years to come. I doubt we will be seeing 2020 models. I remember the CEO saying “we’re not a car company” or something to that effect. With that, I think all improvements they made for this year is the best it could be. Market research, examples of bad QC from the past, listening to customers, learning from past management, watching competitors, etc....I’m sure have all of these been taken into consideration when new management rolled in and the products rolled out. It would be a waste for them to change something for next year. So there...just my opinion. I think we’re seeing the best of Gibson right now.

And I just took home a 2019 CME spec R8 and I tell you, it’s as good as it gets.

PauloQS

Reaction score
I just had an R9 NGD and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played, and I’ve played some nice ones. With that said, my Gibson USA Standard 50s is not far behind in terms of quality and attention to detail. I’ve seen other people play 2019 Gibson just to be blown away. My friends who work at the store where I bought my R9, thought it was the best LP they ever played. I saw a video with Rob Chapman comparing an R0 to a Heritage guitar, where he claimed that the 2019 R0 he played on the video was the best LP he’d ever played. Whether the GC increased its quality in 2019 or 2018, that might be debatable. However, and this is coming from someone who’s been beyond extremely lucky and fortunate with 2017 models, the new Gibson USA original collection is closer to the quality and smoothness of Gibson Custom than they were before. So yes I think 2019 is a turning point, but I think that Gibson USA will get even better over the next year or two. It’s not the modes that have improved, because most models existed before with different names or very marginal differences, but the quality of the models. When it comes to Gibson Custom I’m not creative enough to imagine what they can do to improve on the current models.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
I finally drove the 20 miles today to try out one of the first ( in my area) Canadian 60th Anniversary 1959's today, I was totally blown away by how great it was, top carve and neck were to die for, overall I think Gibson hit it out of the park with this one ...

Reaction score
I've yet to have been convinced by the new management. So far it's about the equivelent of meeting Mom's cool new boyfriend only to find out he is a raging alcoholic. Up untill now we've just been in the "cool guy" phase. We're already starting to see them bust at the seems with this aggression from Cesar's instagram account (deleted posts now) and Mark's (now taken down) video. All the liquor bottles behind their promo shots aren't helping matters either.

I'll give them a couple of years before I land on a judgement like this. Really at the end of the day, all they gotta do is:

1. Listen, REALLY listen to their customers.
2. Make great guitars again.

If they focus on those 2 things they'll be fine. Give me great new guitars, not great new marketing strategies.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We're already starting to see them bust at the seems with this aggression from Cesar's instagram account (deleted posts now) and Mark's (now taken down) video. All the liquor bottles behind their promo shots aren't helping matters either.
What happened with Cesar's IG account? I saw the video from Mark.

mdubya

Reaction score
What happened with Cesar's IG account? I saw the video from Mark.
It was along the same lines, same tone, same threat. It was NOT well received.

I know he attacked Mr. Banker on IG, too, for a design based on an non-reverse Firebird played by Brett Hinds. There wasn't a single thing in the Mr. Banker guitar that was identical to the Gibson model, though.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've yet to have been convinced by the new management. So far it's about the equivelent of meeting Mom's cool new boyfriend only to find out he is a raging alcoholic. Up untill now we've just been in the "cool guy" phase. We're already starting to see them bust at the seems with this aggression from Cesar's instagram account (deleted posts now) and Mark's (now taken down) video. All the liquor bottles behind their promo shots aren't helping matters either.

I'll give them a couple of years before I land on a judgement like this. Really at the end of the day, all they gotta do is:

1. Listen, REALLY listen to their customers.
2. Make great guitars again.

If they focus on those 2 things they'll be fine. Give me great new guitars, not great new marketing strategies.
1. They have made some nice changes in the U.S.A. lineup so far.
2. They never STOPPED making great guitars.....except the 2016 debacle.

Define what you expect to "give you great new guitars" that they aren't doing already.

PauloQS

Reaction score
All kinds of model changes with different length tennons and serial numbers that made it hard to decipher WTF was what.
Thank you. I didn't know that the 2016 had the different neck tenon as well. I though it was just the 2015. But it makes sense, since the 2016 appear to also have featured the True Historic, like they did in 2015. (like this one http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/Custom/True-Historic-1959-Les-Paul-1.aspx)

I thought they had gone back to the long neck tenon on all historics in 2016. My GC R0 (G0), which had a long neck tenon, was build in 2017, according to the documentation that came with it (SN matched the QC documentation), but had a serial number like so G0 6XXXX. I had assumed that it was a 2016 model built in 2017. I was apparently wrong.

Reaction score
1. They have made some nice changes in the U.S.A. lineup so far.
2. They never STOPPED making great guitars.....except the 2016 debacle.

Define what you expect to "give you great new guitars" that they aren't doing already.
I'll give you this - they have made great Les Paul's for quite some time, albeit in the Custom Shop. I'm referring to Gibson USA.

What I'd like to see - go back to single piece body, true ABR bridges (no nashville studs), better lightweight hardware, and if I'm really gonna be talking wish list then go back to long tenons.

Thing is, my 2001 Standard I recently bought used for $1250 is a better guitar in many ways than these 50's originals they're asking $2500 new for. At least back then they were making single piece bodies.

The other thing is, Gibson might not be doing those things now, but Heritage are... other companies are, and they're doing it a much lower cost than you'd pay for a Gibson equivelant. I guess Gibson are doing them on the reissues - but they're charging twice as much as everyone else. They could easily employ some of these measures in their Gibson USA lineup while still maintaining the "historic" line and keeping that relevant.

The Gibson USA Les Paul's are pale comparisons to the greatness that the original Les Paul's were. The more they talk about "be authentic and original", the more I cringe - they're not even staying true to their own designs. Cost cutting (and tone cutting) measures at every corner - still persists with these new guys!

PauloQS

Reaction score
I'll give you this - they have made great Les Paul's for quite some time, albeit in the Custom Shop. I'm referring to Gibson USA.

What I'd like to see - go back to single piece body, true ABR bridges (no nashville studs), better lightweight hardware, and if I'm really gonna be talking wish list then go back to long tenons.

Thing is, my 2001 Standard I recently bought used for $1250 is a better guitar in many ways than these 50's originals they're asking $2500 new for. At least back then they were making single piece bodies.

The other thing is, Gibson might not be doing those things now, but Heritage are... other companies are, and they're doing it a much lower cost than you'd pay for a Gibson equivelant. I guess Gibson are doing them on the reissues - but they're charging twice as much as everyone else. They could easily employ some of these measures in their Gibson USA lineup while still maintaining the "historic" line and keeping that relevant.

The Gibson USA Les Paul's are pale comparisons to the greatness that the original Les Paul's were. The more they talk about "be authentic and original", the more I cringe - they're not even staying true to their own designs. Cost cutting (and tone cutting) measures at every corner - still persists with these new guys!
The Heritage Guitar Standard H-150 I played had studs mounted to bushings bridge, just like the one on my Standard 50. Both would have cost me the same $2,499 retail. Yet the Heritage had a locking bridge that was thicker like a Nashville bridge, not an ABR-1 bridge. I played them back to back and took the Standard 50s home.

I was not planning to purchase anything that day, as I was just curious about how these two guitars compared. However, the Standard 50s stood out and impressed me enough I caved in and purchased it.

Personally, I much preferred both the tone and comfort on my Standard 50s relative to the Standard H-150. However, I don't know what tenon was used on the Heritage. The Heritage did have a nicer top than my Standard 50s. My Standard 50s has a one piece mahogany body, but I concede that mine is the exception and not the norm, as most I've seen two piece backs and only a few exhibit one piece backs.

Finally, I recently downsized my collection and got a 2019 R9. I don't think the Standard 50s is as "good" as my R9, but it does come closer than I expected. Cosmetic-wise it is night and day, my R9 has a much prettier top and finish. Yet the Standard 50s in terms of comfort and tone do not disappoint.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score

I'm not buying the "better tone" thing, and don't want to derail the thread with it. The original Les Paul's were produced in far fewer numbers and were the equivalent of today's Custom Shop guitars. I had a 96 Standard, and I've played the more recent one's. I don't see where the recent one's "paled in comparison".

I don't see other companies doing things for less than the Gibson equivalent. Fender non-custom shops are $1500+ now, and they have bolt on necks. Cheaper to produce by nature of the beast.

Production costs aren't dropping, and their guitars are selling. So if you are looking for lower prices, I don't see that being realistic. Hardware is easily and inexpensively replaced if you feel the need for lighter weight stuff, but a better strap will cure any weight issue's 100x better than a lighter tailpiece.

jlb32

Reaction score
I have played a few 2019 Reissues, including one with Brazilian rosewood. Nice guitars. All of the ones I played sounded nice but didn't really do it for me as much as my 2014 Skinner, for me. Hence why I haven't bought another Les Paul since then.

To me every guitar is individual. It's all about finding the ones that have that sound and playability you tonally and personally love. Nothing to do with the year, etc.... IMO.

rykus

Reaction score
Yeah I don’t think any of the official “specs” made or broke a whole year except maybe on the resale on forums like these...and I would way rather have any rosewood than pau ferro or the next cheapest thing around... people made a huge deal about the 2012 laminate boards but a whole new species is fine?

custom shop pots from the first few years where way smoother than the last 20 years so they downgraded those at some point..

I did find some years where known to have some stretches of good wood... but not the whole year you still have to look at wieght etc...

Anyways I owned quite a few historics, 2 94 2 98 a 99 a01 a 03braz a2010 I had madeover.., each one was a great guitar but for me the 01 was the best by far... for me... closest to my favorite guitar an early 69 custom.

I just learned after playing and buying guitars that I like lighter ones generally with big necks.., from any year...

I’ve bought a few vintage and replicas too and for me it’s about that loud bright tone from the light big neck players I like...

So ya I’m sure there are some amazing 2019’s being built! But a lot of others wouldn’t be my ideal guitars as the necks are getting more consistent since ‘09 with fewer bats..

Fit and finish again I’m not sure you’ll convince me that 2019 are better.., tried a lot of new Gibsons since Henry really got under my skin with the prices and “newer better best” marketing..

Go to a big city and play 100 or 2 guitars if you really want to find “the one” or buy a monster top and have the “prettiest” guitar... but for me the newer is better or latest greatest is a huge illusion I will not take part in.the year and little peices have less to do with it being a great guitar than just the two peices of wood it was made of and who put them together and how well...that’s a serious amount of variation one to the next to have a best year.

When I had lotsa time and no money my guitars where just as good because I spent a lot of time effort on getting good tone and playing a lot. Now I just enjoy having a gorgeous guitar that is what I always wanted playing wise... but I honestly wouldn’t want to take it around like I did back then either. And if I was around the old me and my nice gear I would have been a bit jealous and stoked to try some good stuff but I’m pretty sure my tone and playing would have been better because that was my life..

Stoked they got a new team though.., like I mentioned I couldn’t bring myself to support Henry there at the end... although he did bring about the historics to be fair... not even sure how they went tits up selling 3k plus R9,8,07,6 every year and 50 damn CC and artist models in a decade..? True talent... ?

Mats A

Reaction score
Depends if you buy it for the specs or for to have a really good sounding guitar. I’m not a all the right specs for just the sake of it. It will never be a vintage Burst anyway just hopefully a great guitar. I’m not sure i want unpotted pickups just because the originals were like that thinking of possible unwanted feedback problems. Also you’ll never hear a difference between a fake Bumblebee and the ones they use now. A cap is a cap and it’s all about the value. So much about guitars is just in the head. Don’t get me wrong i love the Gibson Custom Shop guitars and my 2018 R0.