I Think 2019 Will Be a Game Changer

A4effort13

Reaction score
I think they got the right lineup, but they need to figure out the quality control. I have seen many posts of people complaining that the fret/fretboard/binding jobs have been subpar for US models.
I think they fixed it, at least I really hope so but if JC has any brains whatsoever that would have been the first thing he addressed after getting hired

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks as if some of the USA model buyers are back to complaining about all the usual stuff . There is a difference between a USA model LP and a CS shop made model LP . It's in the specs and feels different in hand . That can make a difference to the player . So If your like that and want it , you pay for it .
There's lots of "other" Stuff about CS guitars that get into "bragging rights and snobbery " But IMO , you'll do better almost Everytime with a CS built guitar .

Game Changer ???? LOL!!!! For a set of Caps and pots and maybe a "new" nitro formula ??? ....
IMO that's just some convincing themselves , why they need to buy another New LP . And if it works for you ,,,, go for it ....

Fact is Gibson has produced great guitars since the start of the Historic RI era ...Even before that time ...The trouble ,is , like always .. Finding that great guitar ,that is the 1 for you ....

If any year is up , 2009 was the biggest and should be considered THE game changer since it really was the year of the most number of changes happened to start of all this .

Now,,, post your NGD pics ...will you ??? :cheers:

dspelman

Reaction score
I hate the "____ was a good year" mentality but I'm going to go out on a limb and say 2019 specs will set the bar going forward.
I see no "game changing" going on, and I'm not seeing anything particularly different or exciting from Gibson on any level.
I think you have to squint pretty hard to consider a capacitor change, etc., an advance or a reason to buy a new guitar. Ditto a change from Richlite back to ebony. Seriously folks, that's not a major change indicative of anything at all about the new management team.

asapmaz

Reaction score
Imho, when I consider buying any used historic, I tend to look to see if it's post 2009 or pre. Post 2013 is a slight bonus.
This current year has not changed that analysis for me.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I see no "game changing" going on, and I'm not seeing anything particularly different or exciting from Gibson on any level.
I think you have to squint pretty hard to consider a capacitor change, etc., an advance or a reason to buy a new guitar. Ditto a change from Richlite back to ebony. Seriously folks, that's not a major change indicative of anything at all about the new management team.
Hmm....well it sure was a big deal when it went FROM ebony to Richlite. People bitched bitched bitched and bitched. I'd say about 30-40% of the Historics I have owned over the years, the pots/caps SUCKED. Uneven sweeps being the biggest and most annoying problem. So, returning to what people like, and making improvements, all while not raising MAP.......that's a damn good start to the new regime, if not a game changer.

Top Gun

Reaction score
Again, with a few exceptions, I am not all that impressed with what I have seen this year. The tops are very average at best.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm only pulling trigger once on one of these. I have liked what I've seen/heard and I too think the new caps and un potted pu's are intriguing to me. Bad thing is, buying totally blind and un played so it's a dice roll. Sure enough as fate would have it, the one I 'chose' (based on top and color, and not even in hand at store) has a bigger neck than I've seen listed pretty much everywhere else. I won't get it in hand until monday so I hope the calipers were accidentally misread or miscalibrated....it will be a disappointment if I have to send it back, as it's got a really nice top. Based on every other review of 18/19 reissues that they finally did 'right' with the necks so I was really sold, but no I have to pull the odd fat neck one...I'm cursed....

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Premium Member
Reaction score
What are un-potted pickups?
pickups not dipped in wax to prevent microphonic overtones as the windings can cross vibrate. potted pickup denotes that it was dipped in wax to prevent windings from vibrating and therefore generating feedback. un-potted no wax dip, just like a PAF should be.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Very little microphonic feedback is from coils

Almost all is from air space between coils and cover, AND magnet vibrating on baseplate

GearHo

Reaction score
Game changing years from gibson, or "good wood years" if you choose

1993 the first year
1994 the Tom Murphy painted my lp year
1999 because it was the last 19 something
2000 because it was the first 00 year
2003 got to love that Brazilian
2007 because 2003 is over
2013 because they got better until....
2014 because they are more better
2015 because true historic is better than the non true historics of other years
2018 to celebrate that dirty dog Henry leaving
2019 because 2018 is over.

Kool aid for everyone, drink up.

I have gone through so many years of historic hype to find that the best historics are the ones that you currently own, or are coming out. Those are always the best aren't they?

dspelman

Reaction score
pickups not dipped in wax to prevent microphonic overtones as the windings can cross vibrate. potted pickup denotes that it was dipped in wax to prevent windings from vibrating and therefore generating feedback. un-potted no wax dip, just like a PAF should be.

Gibson, over the past decade or so, has potted pickups installed in guitars, but NOT potted pickups offered in bubble packs for consumers. I'm not sure exactly what the thinking was there (probably forestalling customer complaints about feedback, etc.), but I sorta liked the unpotted pickups myself.

jktxs

Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what the thinking was there (probably forestalling customer complaints about feedback, etc.)
It was exactly because of feedback Gibson quickly reverted to potted burstbuckers. Which is what I'm guessing will happen this time too. Historics aren't only used for low gain blues rock so feedback complaints are inevitable.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Agreed, it’s a short term change. They’ve done it in the past only to go back to potted very quickly

There are a few of us that play clean, guitar-cord-amp with an amp pushed a wee bit. But we are few. Most, it seems, are pumping the gain and almost all using some sort of gain box.

GearHo

Reaction score
Unpotted pickups are as useful as a black and white tv, they may work, they may remind you of the old days, and then they remind you why they suck, they squeal. And even though Gibson is satisfying the accuracy of yesteryear, and the mythical fascination that everything from 1959 is better than any other year, these pickups will squeal like a stuck pig unless you play clean and at low volume.

of course we hear what we want to hear.......weeeeeeeeee......weeeeeeeeeee.

Sell your pedals and high gain amps, they did not exist when these unpotted pickups were so desirable. We can't go back to 1959 again, even if Gibson is trying to take us there.

GearHo

Reaction score
Boutique after market unpotted pickups squeal. There you go Tim.:)

Its not about who makes them, its about what they do. Not everything from 1959 is an improvement.

Last edited:

Harley90

Reaction score
I have an 03 that is great but looking forward to the new stuff, As a business person reflecting on this, it will take a while for the CEO to make all the changes needed to really knock it out of the park. There is a lot of upside at Gibson. I'd bet that it will take a good 2-3 years before real, dramatic impact is noticed across the board.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Boutique after market unpotted pickups squeal. There you go Tim.:)

Its not about who makes them, its about what they do. Not everything from 1959 is an improvement.
I got no squeal in the video I did on my 19. Maybe I'll do another one at gig volume.

GearHo

Reaction score
Jon, its really not about the squealing, per se. Some pickups do, some don't. Its about the continued promise and hype that the next year will be the best year.

I have been hearing this same chant since 1993.