I saw a fascinating sports car today.

dspelman

Reaction score
I was only saying that these are faster than the BMW i8 at less cost. And I was referring to the current models of these cars.
There are a lot of cars that are faster than the BMW I8 at less cost. The people who are buying them are mostly aware of the specs of the i8 and have no intentions of doing any street racing.

Gibsonian

Reaction score
I was in NYC yesterday and saw a BMW i8 on the Belt Parkway. That made me think of this thread.

45WinMag

Reaction score
With the level of wealth in Northern Virginia, you would think there would be a lot of high-dollar exotic cars in the area, but it isn't the case. A 5% yearly vehicle property tax makes ownership unattractive to even those who can afford them. I've seen one Aventador in the Fairfax area several times (pretty sure it's the same one) and one Ferrari 458 at Home Depot in Alexandria, but that's about it. Every now and then you see an i8 or a McLaren. People in the area who are inclined to drive something like that tend to buy a Porsche or Maserati. Depreciation is your friend when the taxman comes and your $150,000 (new) car is only worth $50K.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
With the level of wealth in Northern Virginia, you would think there would be a lot of high-dollar exotic cars in the area, but it isn't the case. A 5% yearly vehicle property tax makes ownership unattractive to even those who can afford them. I've seen one Aventador in the Fairfax area several times (pretty sure it's the same one) and one Ferrari 458 at Home Depot in Alexandria, but that's about it. Every now and then you see an i8 or a McLaren. People in the area who are inclined to drive something like that tend to buy a Porsche or Maserati. Depreciation is your friend when the taxman comes and your $150,000 (new) car is only worth $50K.

OTOH, the proportion of middle-high cars (big Jaguars, S-class, 7-series, AMGs and Ms, 911s, Maseratis, Astons, Tesla Ss and Roadsters etc. etc.) far exceeds anywhere else in America I've ever been. DC is wealthy because they have lots and lots of millionaires, not a cluster of billionaires.

45WinMag

Reaction score
OTOH, the proportion of middle-high cars (big Jaguars, S-class, 7-series, AMGs and Ms, 911s, Maseratis, Astons, Tesla Ss and Roadsters etc. etc.) far exceeds anywhere else in America I've ever been. DC is wealthy because they have lots and lots of millionaires, not a cluster of billionaires.
You can't throw a rock around here without hitting a Tesla.