I really want to retire

judson

Reaction score
.To be honest I'm done dealing with this and just need a few more years to retire and then do something else.
Maybe become a geriatric male stripper or gigalo.

ummmmm.....no......dont quit your day job

retirement sucks....you never get a day off :slap:

mtgguitar

Reaction score
My retirement from a local bank in 2012 was unplanned. Corporate cost-saving actions during a merger were drastic, and the department I worked in was heading for disaster. I walked out with very little notice. In retrospect it was a shock; for the first two months I slept 12 hours a day and didn't go out much. I finally snapped out of my fog, started exercising, getting out of the house, and reconnecting with friends.

All is well now.

Last edited:

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think the absolute best part of retirement is that you can just not give a flying fuck about things that you do not care about any longer. For me, it was work.

The thing is this, I always hated work. OK, sure... I took some pleasure from what I did, of course. But, in the end it was always, and only, a vehicle to make the money that I needed to enjoy life. Work was NEVER life. It was a distraction from life.

Retirement is freedom. We do what we want, when we want to do it. And, if we don't want to do anything, we don't do anything. We have no obligations to anyone. We are not encumbered by work. The only limitations are the ones that we set for ourselves.

For example, we tend to NOT go anywhere on weekends any longer. Why? Because that is when all the working peple are out, running their errands, dining out, playing golf, at the beach, in the stores, etc. Why do I want to be part of that "rat race". Fuck that.

We went to dinner tonight. It was a wonderful meal, in an uncrowded restaurant. No screaming fucking kids were there. No millennial assholes sitting across from each other, playing on their phones. No line for the valet. The service was great and unrushed. The meal was excellent.

It was Wednesday... and all the working people were home eating whatever they brought home for dinner, out of the fast food bag, or what they microwaved from leftovers. Their kids were probably eating mac & cheese before doing their homework. And ultimately, mom & dad were still working, because for most working people - the workday never ends.

We shared a slice of cheesecake and a glass of Grand Mariner after dinner. Then, took a stroll around town on a lovely spring evening.

This is our weekend. We get five day weekends. We leave Saturday and Sunday for the 9-5ers and stay home around the house doing chores and relaxing.

Retirement is freedom.
Yes, you are no longer beholden to waking up early to get to work and punch in.

Now you just wake up early because you have to pee.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Yes, you are no longer beholden to waking up early to get to work and punch in.

Now you just wake up early because you have to pee.
My doctor is amazed that I sleep through the night with rarely a trip to the head, and fortunately it's not from just wetting the bed.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I don't know, M&M. I just don't see the appeal.

View attachment 530171
Yeah, well.... I work alone, troubleshoot and repair things that don't require me to touch oil or shit or anything else, I go all over the world, make WAAY more money than any of my teachers thought I would and generally do pretty well.
I love this shit.
I just hope the Jones Act holds up long enough for me to retire. It's astonishing that more people don't understand the importance of it.

lancpudn

Reaction score

It's freakin' great to just roll over in bed & never again get up at OH MY GOD IT's EARLY hour o clock in the morning and not give a monkeys arsehole about working environments or schedules, Bollocks to it forever :dude: :dude: :dude:

JaxLPGuy

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm very good at what I do and I'm well respected within the company. I'm often called upon by other teams to assist with their efforts and recently helped our security team write some new standards. I basically drafted the entire document. My main issue is that I feel like I'm back at ground zero where I started over 25 years ago.

Several years ago I jumped on the mgmt train. Through various reorgs and other "more important" projects I've lost everybody. My last employee transferred this week. I'm about to make an offer to backfill the position but HR frowns on managers with less than the min number of direct reports so I doubt I'll be a manager for long. The role I'm in now has morphed into something I don't enjoy. Again, I'm doing what I did when I started in this career including being on call. I'm too far in this game to still be on call. Basically, I don't do anything I've worked towards for the past 20 years anymore.

There aren't any good alternatives where I'm at so I'm looking outside the company. Unfortunately, starting over with a new company isn't very appealing either.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the way way back machine, I wanted to retire at 50 ... that didn't happen. Really more to change of plans that cost more retirement $$$, than the many market busts .. that did happen.

I could probably live okay, just not do everything I want now. Probably will never be able to do all those things. But I figure if I can make it to 59 1/2, that's as good a call as any ... but I've said that about 50, 55, 57 (I think), and now 59 1/2.

Yeah, I'm a hate work type. I found what I could get up out of bed and do every day .. and make enough $$$ to keep me motivated ... but I didn't love my work (computer science) .. I just didn't hate it.

My original retirement plans were to follow my folks ... have an acreage, mow the lawn, clean the pool, hang out at the house, and have the grand kids over. That all changed ... and changed ... and changed again. Now I wanna beach house and visit tropical paradises as much as I can staying in 5-star resorts. I need moar retirement $$$. :laugh2:

Last edited:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
I've been in my line of work (the mid-80s) to see it go from young geeks building programs from the ground up to a nice profession of 30 and 40 somethings where we really did produce some good things, to a total shit show where being a senior lead that almost every project I've joined has been fixing some company's code because they hired chimpanzees that worked cheap, or the code is several decades old and can't pass a security scan.

To be honest I'm done dealing with this and just need a few more years to retire and then do something else.
Maybe become a geriatric male stripper or gigalo.
I'd go with gigalo. You can set your own hours and say no to whomever
you like. Unless you have a Pimp...then that is a whole new ball game...

so to speak...

Deftone

Reaction score
I'll miss getting lectured by millennials with 1-2 years job experience on how to do my job. I really enjoy that.

Not the lecture part, the part right afterwards where I explain to them in graphic detail how truly stupid they actually are and then I get to see the look on their face while they eat a shit sandwich.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i retired at 63.worked in a large high volume warehouse as a clamp driver.loved the job,everybody knew me but 27 years of little sleep and arthritis were taking its toll.i still go visit about once a month at lunchtime and everybodys glad to see me.3 out of the 4 people that do my old job are people i trained.its been a good life so far,nothing i can think of that i would change unless i could live closer to the beach.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
retired last Sept after 42 years in the collision repair business. Everyday STILL feels like a saturday. After an 18 year hiatus I took up golf again. Love it
Please, break us off some.

What's your secret?

esseff

Reaction score
I had an 18 month lead-in to retirement - made redundant in October 2019, with no chance of anything else in my trade locally, released from my next job after one month because the pandemic put a stop to our public events and finally my back wasn't up to shifting packages in a warehouse all night.
So, here I am, officially retired since a month ago and loving it. The pension isn't great but it's enough to live on with a few fripperies included and I've got all day, every day, to play guitar, write and generally be an idle bustard. :cool:

Latest Threads