I really want to retire

Deftone

Reaction score
I'm 53.5 right now and I can pull the pin at any time. The plan was wait 'till 55 but they just gave me a raise and a promotion. A layoff would be awesome so I could collect UEI and get a stimulus check or two but we are super busy.

I talked to my boss yesterday about reducing my hours to 30/wk, we'll see how that goes. I also told him take me off the Saturday rotation because I'm not doing it anymore and he did.

In the meantime, I've just been buying toys. And I have a track day at Laguna Seca next Friday with my two best buds.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I’m retired over 10 years. I used to make big decisions, sometimes life and death decisions, on a daily basis. I did so with confidence. I have been in a decade of apoplexy since retirement. Do I ride my bike or play guitar? If I ride, which bike? How far?How fast? Which guitar? Which amp? Acoustic or electric? The never ending decisions have paralyzed me. Retirement is not for the faint of heart or the wishy washy.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would probably work for the duration if help was easier to find. My gig can be a pretty doable deal with a good crew. Those days seem to be over. Today's labor market has ruined my life. Nobody wants to work. It has me contemplating strategies I otherwise wouldn't be considering. We're not looking to see the country in an RV or move to the lake. We'd be happy just doing what we do if it hadn't turned into a battle everyday to put a team on the field for today's game.

mdubya

Reaction score
I don't see retirement as an option anytime soon (I am 54).

As a quality assurance analyst (software tester) I have to pep talk myself that every day is going to be a chaotic sh!it show [email protected]#$! and that is what I get paid to deal with.

My REAL job is covering my own ass so I can't be blamed for failure to deliver.

I have been on a couple of really good teams, current team included. But somebody always gets worn out.

The good news is, there is a never ending demand for new development and maintenance of old work.

Life in the corporate world.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would probably work for the duration if help was easier to find. My gig can be a pretty doable deal with a good crew. Those days seem to be over. Today's labor market has ruined my life. Nobody wants to work. It has me contemplating strategies I otherwise wouldn't be considering. We're not looking to see the country in an RV or move to the lake. We'd be happy just doing what we do if it hadn't turned into a battle everyday to put a team on the field for today's game.
I often thought that I might enjoy doing what you do, Pop. A nice place where locals and friends come to enjoy a good meal and good company. It's a romantic notion.

However, I also realize how hard it is for you, even in good times. And, I do understand the labor of love.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"retirement".. lol.
I threw my towel in the ring at the Water Dept. 3 years ago.
I've never been so friggin' busy.
yep, nothing but umbrella drinks and lawn chairs. Is that what we imagine?
Oh bull-friggin' shit.
Your own damned fault. If you didn't build such nice guitars you wouldn't find yourself in this predicament.

Only problem about retirement is, in most cases, by the time you get there you’re old, fat, and wrinkled.
Who cares? Better to be old, fat and wrinkled and be retired than old, fat and wrinkled and still schlepping.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I've never heard of a retired luthier. We just keep going.....there's too much sanding to do!
GOOD! Even if you were thinking about it, you just can't do it before I find that super fat-necked '54 GT RI for you to work your magic on.

Fracture

Reaction score
Result: 3436 days
It is 3436 days from the start date to the end date, but not including the end date.

Or 9 years, 4 months, 28 days excluding the end date.

Or 112 months, 28 days excluding the end date.

the higher the number - the better the day !!

........here's your anxiety builder
load in the date of retirement and today
or
vice versa

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
I NEVER want to retire-without the ENERGY that I glean from the insane I would become weak. My body/mind has been "transformed"- I leave work in a box or a straight jacket.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
If a sailor isn’t complaining, check his pulse.
That having been said, I love my job. I’m fuckin great at it. I’m known in my little world and chief engineers email me, trying to get me to join their ships.
I’ve got about15 more years to do it right, and then I’ll go back to being dumb old Dad or Honey for the rest of it.
I’m only excited to retire if owning a shit ton of land is part of the deal.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a sailor isn’t complaining, check his pulse.
That having been said, I love my job. I’m fuckin great at it. I’m known in my little world and chief engineers email me, trying to get me to join their ships.
I’ve got about15 more years to do it right, and then I’ll go back to being dumb old Dad or Honey for the rest of it.
I’m only excited to retire if owning a shit ton of land is part of the deal.
I don’t think anybody in this world gets more respect than a tradesman who knows his craft.

Latest Threads