I Picked Up A Treble Booster....

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Dang! What took me so long?

I've always loved to add a bit of bright OD to my amp tone. I reckoned it 'sharpened my tone' and gave it the right cut in the mix. As of late, I've been playing a lot with IEMs and felt I needed to shave off some woof.

Enter a simple Dallas Rangemaster clone (with AC128 transistor for you geeks). Instantly, and with one knob, I had a perfect, crispy crunchy tone. It was heavenly and took no time to dial in.

Best trick was it added no noise when using high amp gain, the way an OD would. I'm not opposed to hum, especially in a hard rockin song, but this was a very cool feature.

So, what next? It's a simple but substantial addition. But what am I missing, if anything? @mdubya , I know you use a similar pedal (I believe a 'Bling) and you're a distortion whore like me. Any tips on further use? How about with a Muff fuzz?

@Tim Fezziwig ? Yer a master of dirt?

Of course, would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers!

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
Dang! What took me so long?

I've always loved to add a bit of bright OD to my amp tone. I reckoned it 'sharpened my tone' and gave it the right cut in the mix. As of late, I've been playing a lot with IEMs and felt I needed to shave off some woof.

Enter a simple Dallas Rangemaster clone (with AC128 transistor for you geeks). Instantly, and with one knob, I had a perfect, crispy crunchy tone. It was heavenly and took no time to dial in.

Best trick was it added no noise when using high amp gain, the way an OD would. I'm not opposed to hum, especially in a hard rockin song, but this was a very cool feature.

So, what next? It's a simple but substantial addition. But what am I missing, if anything? @mdubya , I know you use a similar pedal (I believe a 'Bling) and you're a distortion whore like me. Any tips on further use? How about with a Muff fuzz?

@Tim Fezziwig ? Yer a master of dirt?

Of course, would love to hear other opinions.

Cheers!
Awesome and congrats! :applause::dude:

I like to run my chain like so: Treble booster > Fuzz > Tube Screamer. This set up offers significant flexibility and tonal options.

TB is a great classic overdrive for leads into lightly distorted amp tones. It is also great for pushing fuzz rhythm tones into over the cliff lead tones. Fuzz and TS can fatten up and fill out the TB eq as needed or desired.

Last night I was using plexi rhythm tones with TB and Univibe for Jimi style lead tones.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I tried it in front of my BuGGFX Raincoat (a take on a Russian Muff) and Amptweaker Tight Metal Jr. It's like having new pedals! I really like how it sounds on the Raincoat.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score

JMP

Reaction score
Hey all! I hope I’m not hijacking this thread.....please tell me OP and I’ll post a new one.

Thoughts on a treble boost VS a regular boost pedal (like an Exotic EP Boost or a TC Electronics Spark mini)? I need to add little “something “ to my sound and I think some type of simple boost may do it. And there’s a bunch of affordable options, so that’s always a bonus.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hey all! I hope I’m not hijacking this thread.....please tell me OP and I’ll post a new one.

Thoughts on a treble boost VS a regular boost pedal (like an Exotic EP Boost or a TC Electronics Spark mini)? I need to add little “something “ to my sound and I think some type of simple boost may do it. And there’s a bunch of affordable options, so that’s always a bonus.
Good question and I don't use a regular boost, so I can't comment honestly. My guess would be that a regular boost doesn't focus as much on the higher frequencies. As well, the germanium chip in the treble booster clips to add a distortion effect. Interesting to me, the treble booster sounds like total ass when feeding it to a clean tone. But with a distorted amp or pedal, it works like a miracle.

Reactions: JMP

bluefrog

Reaction score
I had a Xotic EP1 sold it as I had
friedman pearly
xotic BB
wampler tumnus
in my main pedal board in that sequence.
for my home setup I was missing a treble boost in front of my Marshall 1974x
so I ordered a TC spark - so running
TC Spark
Xotic SL
Neunaber Imerse Reverb
Marshall 1974x Normal channel

the TC spark is very versatile and for the price a killer pedal kinda always on pedal...

Reactions: JMP

jimmyjames

Reaction score

Flynn Amps Rory Gallagher Hawk Boost gives you a boost and a (loud) treble boost. No Germanium transistor, but sounds awesome.

mdubya

Reaction score
I describe a Treble Booster as a primitive boost pedal. It is not transparent. It is vintage and fuzzy and raw. It does not tighten up your tone and attack like, say, a Tube Screamer. That said, put a Tube Screamer after your Treble Booster to tighten up the TB, which is a killer tone. I use my Tube Screamer to tame the volume on my Treble Booster, too, if needed.

TB>TS is also a good set up on a jangly Fender amp for clean rhythms and mid range-y lead tones (the TS fills out the mids).

I also like the TB for cutting through dark swirly syrupy tones like when using a Univibe or dark sounding Phaser like my old Univox Micro Fazer.
Use the TB for leads on your neck pickup with the tone rolled off and have lightbulbs go off in your head. :shock: :jam:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I describe a Treble Booster as a primitive boost pedal. It is not transparent. It is vintage and fuzzy and raw. It does not tighten up your tone and attack like, say, a Tube Screamer. That said, put a Tube Screamer after your Treble Booster to tighten up the TB, which is a killer tone. I use my Tube Screamer to tame the volume on my Treble Booster, too, if needed.

TB>TS is also a good set up on a jangly Fender amp for clean rhythms and mid range-y lead tones (the TS fills out the mids).

I also like the TB for cutting through dark swirly syrupy tones like when using a Univibe or dark sounding Phaser like my old Univox Micro Fazer.
Use the TB for leads on your neck pickup with the tone rolled off and have lightbulbs go off in your head. :shock: :jam:
I'm running the TB into a Bad Monkey. It's glorious!

If I were naming such a pedal, I'd call in the 'Woofinator'. The TB just shaves that woof right out of every distortion I feed it to. As already mentioned, it turns my muff into a distortion pedal.

mdubya

Reaction score
I'm running the TB into a Bad Monkey. It's glorious!

If I were naming such a pedal, I'd call in the 'Woofinator'. The TB just shaves that woof right out of every distortion I feed it to. As already mentioned, it turns my muff into a distortion pedal.
If you've got anything resembling a Blues Breaker pedal or ZVex Distortron/Box of Rock, try them with the TB first into a clean amp. Lordy! :wow: I don't like those pedals on their own, but with a fuzz or TB in front... you might require a catch can in your trousers.

Latest Threads