I need help finding a Les Paul

sonar1

Reaction score
Yeah, but he put drugs in them. Same as Keef Richards- I believe they have some kind of embalming effect
True, but then there was the year Joe and Steve put the whole nation of Peru up their noses

v-man

Reaction score
I got through the first page or two and saw some good suggestions by people here. It seems that what you want is not very different from my starting experience many years ago. I had “that” guitar in mind and it was a very risky choice for a beginner (an expensive Jackson RR1). Mine happened to work out and I love the design with all the idiosyncrasies to this day, But it could have gone badly, and there are many variables that makes your choice even riskier for a first pick.

LPs in general are not a very good guitar choice for beginners because they are very bulky, they are heavy, and the input jack is an a poor position for sitting down and playing. Gibsons make this situation worse because they are extremely expensive and desirability of the better models makes it harder to pick the right one because there are counterfeits and a number of issues to have to educate oneself to understand models, features and profiles..

My advice is to consider -as many others have suggested either an Epi Les Paul or a Gibson LP studio first to see if a) guitar is for you; and b) that LPs are the right fit for you. I have wanted a LP custom for years myself and (happy with either a alpine white or Ebony) but I have had too many bad purchases LP that I had returned over the years and ended up with an Ebony studio from the 1990s, which is a great guitar and very modestly priced by compare.

Last edited:

aakes90278

Reaction score
I don't get all this animosity toward the OP.

If icantplayguitar has the money, and knows exactly what he or she wants, who are we to tell him or her to aim lower, and to settle for less?

If this were a motorcycle forum, and the OP was ican'trideatall, and insisted on buying and starting out riding/ learning on a 150 hp Suzuki Hayabusa, then I would expect this kind of reaction.
Because there's a safety factor there.
The guy could lose his life.

But this is a guitar.
Nobody is going to get killed learning how to play guitar.

icantplayguitar, I salute you.
Go for exactly what you want, don't settle for less, and learn how to play guitar on a first-class instrument.

Kudos to you.
:)
I think Sparky2 makes the most sense. The forum was meant to share a passion not to belittle a dream.....

monstruo_loco

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black top R8, but thats an expensive first guitar.
I’m curious, what is the budget for this and since the original was a Gibson is that what you want. or would you be satisfied with something else?

Added the quote above since it’s unsure whether or not playing guitar will work out for you & resale might end up being a factor, and Gibson Custom Shop models would hold their resale value better than an Epiphone, but this all depends on your budget and what you have in mind.

Since it’s been mentioned, here’s my R8 Ebony that is a reissue of a Standard, and the nice pictures included of the ‘68 Custom reminds me of my black ‘74 20th Anniversary Custom, so lots of good suggestions here, but only you know what you have in mind.

0E64566A-225B-48A8-BF48-DF1B621BBFE1.jpeg

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sparky2 makes the most sense. The forum was meant to share a passion not to belittle a dream.....
Yep.
Thought I've been playing since Carter was in the White House, God knows that my collection far exceeds my talent.

If OP has the resources to purchase an R6... or to buy an original '56 GT, more power to him. It's none of our business whether he can play, wants to learn to play, or wants to hang the guitar in a shadowbox with belongings that remind him of his grandpa.

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.
Thought I've been playing since Carter was in the White House, God knows that my collection far exceeds my talent.

If OP has the resources to purchase an R6... or to buy an original '56 GT, more power to him. It's none of our business whether he can play, wants to learn to play, or wants to hang the guitar in a shadowbox with belongings that remind him of his grandpa.
I think i'm bad too but my friends who have heard me play say i sound good, I also took lessons couple years ago and the instructor told me i'm not bad at all.... i think we are too hard on ourselves sometimes.

Latest Threads