I need help finding a Les Paul

tokairic

Reaction score
Whatever you buy, make sure you can at least see it and feel it before you buy, rather than buy mail order and, if you can, take someone along who can play guitar to give you an idea of the playability of the instrument you're looking at.
Bear in mind that even a new guitar will need 'setting up' to be easier to play. I have had new guitars (Epiphone) with uneven frets and high strings. I also once bought a brand new Gibson that needed a new nut (cut offset to the high e) and a good set up (string heights etc).
I'm just guessing here, but I guess you might be a 'mature' beginner. If so I'd advise you to be a bit wary of the weight of an un relieved guitar. I started that way but soon got back and neck strain, so went for a weight relieved LP.
Watch out for quality issues whether you buy Gibson or Epiphone - both have ongoing QC issues.
Be aware of prices and values - I see some used Gibsons on ebay etc that are nothing special but priced higher than new.
Good Luck.

omstrat

Reaction score
I think you should learn to play first . Get a reasonably priced guitar that you can play and see a few months down the road if you're even interested in keeping up with it . Half the pros I know are not that specific in what they want . You see to be shooting for a LOOK .Half the people that buy guitars and want to play have it in the closet collecting dust. I always tell new players to start on an acoustic anyway . It builds up you finger strength and you don't have to start buying amps and cables and all the other expenses right off the bat . Good Luck

Spudvader

Reaction score
Is this a joke? Or is this just hopes and window shopping? I get having a nice guitar but you cant know what spec guitar you want went you dont even play. What you want isn't always what you need. If your serious, go to a music shop and actually pick a guitar up. BTW the guitar you are describing is a Gibson Les Paul traditional

dasherf17

Reaction score
I don't even know what model I should be looking for. From what I can tell I need a reissue or a VOS. Beyond that I am in the dark.
Put away the "can'ts" and "don't know"s...
Just start researching by Googling "Les Paul guitar" and look at the links...stores, general information...it can be an 8 hour day, but filling your mind with all these "toys"...wow, what a day!
Tell us what you come up with!

lwchafin

Reaction score
So if it's icantplay, idontplay and imnotgoingtoplay, go for the Gibson Custom. Fabulous guitar and they seem to be holding their value very well so your risk is not that great if you go ahead, hold your breath and take the plunge for something like your grandad played. If it's the image of that guitar you're after, the Epiphone Custom woudl be just fine. Good luck with yellowed binding though.

zdoggie

Reaction score
ive always been a fan of the LP standard burst spec.the bourbon burst .after having said that I agree with others that reverb and ebay is good place to shop I think that the LP traditional is an excellent compromise its a standard with maybe a flaw in the wood grain ,nothing that would hinder the playing or tone but just something that gibson didn't think was deserving of the standard status I have one ,ice tea burst and absolutely love it ,also if later on you decide you don't like the tone you can change pickups without the worry of degrading the value their great guitars good luck zdog

E.T.

Reaction score
You could pick up an identical guitar made the same year as his for about $20K.. They had black soapbar pickups from 1954 through 1956 then changed to gold plated humbuckers for 1957-1960 at which point they were discontinued. Resissues seem to be about 1/3 the cost of the originals.. If you buy an original leave it to me in your will! :eek2:

Last edited:

MissingSomethin

Reaction score
You can play guitar, yet want certain tuners?
What a poser. Buy a treadmill to hang your guitar on. You never use either

jadm110

Reaction score
It's what my grandpa played back in the 50's so that's what I am basing the specs off of and trying to find.
if I was in your place I would ( first learn to play a few songs ) then play as many guitars as possible and compare them to your idea of what you want in a Les Paul. that way you don't have buyers remorse.

sparky2

Reaction score
I don't get all this animosity toward the OP.

If icantplayguitar has the money, and knows exactly what he or she wants, who are we to tell him or her to aim lower, and to settle for less?

If this were a motorcycle forum, and the OP was ican'trideatall, and insisted on buying and starting out riding/ learning on a 150 hp Suzuki Hayabusa, then I would expect this kind of reaction.
Because there's a safety factor there.
The guy could lose his life.

But this is a guitar.
Nobody is going to get killed learning how to play guitar.

icantplayguitar, I salute you.
Go for exactly what you want, don't settle for less, and learn how to play guitar on a first-class instrument.

Kudos to you.
:)

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Remember that you are you, not your grandfather. Keep an open mind, and play before you buy, or at least verify the seller's return policy. If you can, bring a relative or friend who is more experienced. Maybe you can put something on layaway while you look for a better deal elsewhere. There might be a reasonably priced beginner guitar to learn on before you get your dream Les Paul. If you have small hands or arthritis/carpal tunnel, etc, you might need a double-cut or a guitar with a thinner or thicker neck. You might find that your musical genre/style requires a double-locking vibrato. Retrofitting that to a Les Paul would be expensive and might harm its resale value. You may not think so right now, but if you have sports injuries or back trouble, the weight might matter some day. There are alternatives such as the Ibanez Artists that are well-made, sound and play good, and don't weigh a ton. If you get something like that now it would make a great backup for your dream guitar.

Good luck!

dro

Reaction score
Ya... so in the 50s he would have had a Les Paul Custom. Standards were generally gold tops or burst, bursts were later, and until the later 50s even the Customs had P90s.

Here's a '57 reissue, with humbuckers:

If you have the budget, then sure... this would be an excellent guitar to learn on... far better than what most people learn on, and one that you can be proud of and pass down to your kids.

He may be looking for the 1954 RI with the staple pickup

Latest Threads