I need help finding a Les Paul

icantplayguitar

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and can not play guitar but want a Les Paul. I am looking for an ebony LP with a solid body no kind of weight relief. I also want the Kluson style tuners not the chrome. Lastly I'd like the 50s neck and the yellowish binding. I don't think this is going to be a production so I am hoping there was a reissue but I don't know what years to look for or even what it would be called. If anyone can help please let me know what to search for. I'd like to learn to play at some point and want to learn on this guitar. Thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me what I am looking for.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you are being pretty specific for someone who doesn't know how to play, and thus, has not developed a preference for feel.
The 50s neck is pretty thick and "clubby" and some do not like it.
Specifying ebony generally means LP Custom, which means gold hardware... not chrome, but also not the pearloid Kluson tuners.

The yellowed binding is going to be a problem, because you aren't going to get that on a production model other than the Epiphone Bonamassa signature model, and those are now sold out.
If I were in your position, I'd pick up an Epiphone LP Custom. They go for under $700 and are an excellent beginner's guitar.

Beware, there are a LOT of fakes out there, and as specific as you are on details, you're going to find more fakes like that than legitimate Gibsons.

icantplayguitar

Reaction score
Honestly, you are being pretty specific for someone who doesn't know how to play, and thus, has not developed a preference for feel.
The 50s neck is pretty thick and "clubby" and some do not like it.
Specifying ebony generally means LP Custom, which means gold hardware... not chrome, but also not the pearloid Kluson tuners.

The yellowed binding is going to be a problem, because you aren't going to get that on a production model other than the Epiphone Bonamassa signature model, and those are now sold out.
If I were in your position, I'd pick up an Epiphone LP Custom. They go for under $700 and are an excellent beginner's guitar.

Beware, there are a LOT of fakes out there, and as specific as you are on details, you're going to find more fakes like that than legitimate Gibsons.
It's what my grandpa played back in the 50's so that's what I am basing the specs off of and trying to find.

ARandall

Reaction score
Maybe just buy a black Studio model first.
You get the nice black colour but then get to do the sensible bit and actually learn how to play (and all the other bits like deciding neck preferences etc) before deciding to hitch the cart in front of the horse and buying something of quite a few thousands that might be the polar opposite of what you like.

This is how all of us did it too.
I can guarantee that over 90% of all players end up with something almost vastly different to what their eyes told them they first liked.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's what my grandpa played back in the 50's so that's what I am basing the specs off of and trying to find.
Ya... so in the 50s he would have had a Les Paul Custom. Standards were generally gold tops or burst, bursts were later, and until the later 50s even the Customs had P90s.

Here's a '57 reissue, with humbuckers:

If you have the budget, then sure... this would be an excellent guitar to learn on... far better than what most people learn on, and one that you can be proud of and pass down to your kids.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I have Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul's from Gibson Custom to Epiphone Custom. You can get a nice Epiphone Custom and change out the tuners. You of course will spend a lot more for a Gibson Custom and also change out the tuners to your Kluson liking. You should handle a few guitars first though and see what type of neck you like, there is a large range and I know I don't like the big thick necks. I like the medium neck much better and also like the 60's slim taper necks, but nothing bigger than a medium neck, the guitar just feels wrong to me with a thick neck. The Epiphone guitars I purchased feel/play and sound just as nice as my Gibson's. Good Lucking finding the right guitar for yourself.

guitarwall_lpmodern.jpg

lpcustomywb3.jpg

DJGranite

Reaction score
If you can live without the binding an early 90s Studio hits most of the marks for what you're looking for. Ebony fretboard, black, kluson tuners, etc.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 1992 Ebony Price Guide | Reverb
Affordable, great guitars and you can always get your money back if you decide to move up
or that guitar just isn't for you.

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wonder. Is the OP looking to buy this to learn to play? Or is it for a memorial perhaps?

Standard 64

Reaction score
Guitar aint easy.You might become the next Joe Bonamassa or suck at it the rest of your life but thoroughly enjoy it.It's in your hands.My first guitar was a 69 Gibson SG.Do you want the guitar to look at or play?

Latest Threads