I need a 12 string

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
In the band I am in, I play a 12 string acoustic electric on most of the songs. I bought an el cheapo Oscar Schmidt based on the recommendation of the shop owner. Now that it is a POS his response is WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR 300 BUCKS? It does not sound good plus it will NOT stay in tune. Anyway, I need some recommendations. I don't want to spend a fortune but if it was really nice I could probably spend a grand. I used to own a big jumbo maple Alvarez that I liked and new they are 550.00...so that is an option. I found a Taylor (low end) but it has the ES2 system which for me is a huge plus. but it's used online and that scares me. I am looking at the Martin dx1ae 12 strings. I had a 6 and liked it.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I love my old Guild D4-12. No electronics, though.
I saw one of those I think. Someone had put a system in it. I am talking to a guy now with a Martin gpc12pa4. I like the Taylor pickup system the best. HATE the idea of buying online from an individual.

meatball

Reaction score
I saw one of those I think. Someone had put a system in it. I am talking to a guy now with a Martin gpc12pa4. I like the Taylor pickup system the best. HATE the idea of buying online from an individual.
I am in love with my Taylor 314CE 6 string . Great pick up system

Rds

Reaction score
Just my opinion of course but I bought a taylor 150E on reverb. I've been very happy with it. GC currently has this model I think so you could try it out. 899 new, got mine in like new shape for 700. It has volume and tone controls, battery. Sounds good, decent action. My 2 cent.

Skeletor

Reaction score
Up here (Canada) it seems like second hand 12 strings can be had at bargain basement prices.
I picked up a Simon & Patrick (one of the Godin companies) for $125 (about $6 US?). Plays and sound great - no tuning issues.
I've Been watching the classifieds for a Larrivee 6 string - not much available but a few 12 strings lingering at great prices.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Just my opinion of course but I bought a taylor 150E on reverb. I've been very happy with it. GC currently has this model I think so you could try it out. 899 new, got mine in like new shape for 700. It has volume and tone controls, battery. Sounds good, decent action. My 2 cent.
It has the e2 system right? I saw those and I would like to get my hands on one to try it.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
There is a Martin GC12PA4 on CL pretty close to me. Been talking to the guy. He is the original owner and says it's like new because he can't play it. (Older guy says it's hard on his hands ) it has a Martin hard case and he is asking $900. I might go look at that one but I JUST spent 300 on this one.

Rds

Reaction score
It has the e2 system right? I saw those and I would like to get my hands on one to try it.
Yes that's right it has the e2 system. It is a little neck heavy but not too bad. Seems well built. Mine is sapel. Might be worth checking out. Man l also have a martin 6 I like. Hard to beat a good martin. I'm sure martin 12's are excellent.

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's easy to find a used Martin GPC12PA4 for around a thousand bucks... and they're very nice.

--R

Last edited:

Nard

Reaction score
Check the “Favourite Acoustic” thread
I posted a pic of my favourite in there. Beautiful guitars and within the price you are looking.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
In the band I am in, I play a 12 string acoustic electric on most of the songs. I bought an el cheapo Oscar Schmidt based on the recommendation of the shop owner. Now that it is a POS his response is WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FOR 300 BUCKS? It does not sound good plus it will NOT stay in tune. Anyway, I need some recommendations. I don't want to spend a fortune but if it was really nice I could probably spend a grand. I used to own a big jumbo maple Alvarez that I liked and new they are 550.00...so that is an option. I found a Taylor (low end) but it has the ES2 system which for me is a huge plus. but it's used online and that scares me. I am looking at the Martin dx1ae 12 strings. I had a 6 and liked it.
Heya Steve.
Have you tried running a 6-string through a 'chorus' effect?
S'what I used to do back in the eighties, when I had a 12-string*.
Wasn't quite the same as a 12-string but I preferred it, when it was mic'd up.
:)
I found the action on a 12-string rather trying too;
It's hard work and tuning is always a nightmare, even once you get it in tune.

*Technically I suppose, I still have it. I just don't know where it is anymore.
:rofl: