I may be done going to sea.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
At least, that’s the plan. I’ve been looking for a job on land for a few months, and after lots of frustration, I finally took an HVAC job working for my friend. It’s a pay cut with less benefits, but my wife works now also and said the benefits will work well enough.
Instead of rolling ships filled with assholes in any kind of weather, I’m dealing with darn nice folks in 68-69F climate-controlled buildings with shiny floors and great coffee in the cafe.
It’s been hard to walk away from something I’ve worked all my life to really master, but 4-5 months away from my family was becoming unsustainable.
Oh well.
Most of all, I’ll miss that goddam barrel.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You can buy a good Used Land Lubber for a work vehicle. There goes what's left of the Supply Chain with you leaving. It really sounds like good move. Congrats!!. It's also good you are leaving before you might have sailed off the edge of the Earth.

Last edited:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Cool to hear. Good plan. Next step, hang out your own shingle.
My boss told me to do something like that. I simply don’t want to work for myself.
I just need bills covered. I don’t even care if I retire. But my boss is late 60s, so who knows? His son is probably gonna take it over inside 10years and I really like him as well.
If I’m not attached to a union retirement (I was 10yrs into my last one) then fuck it.
Social security it is. Or work til I drop.
I don’t care which.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
after being stranded in the middle east with no AC in the summer? the job in HVAC was calling you six months ago. :cheers2:

congrats M&M.
There’s another job I was trying to get that’s even easier. It’s a Biomed tech job and it’s even dreamier. It’s in the same hospital, but with a regular schedule and rotating weeks on call. I can walk to the farthest part of the hospital in 12 minutes from my driveway, and that includes the minute for the crosswalk. But the job I tried to get got snagged by the lead tech dropping back down to the Tech 2 position advertised, and they wouldn’t hire me as lead since I’ve never worked a day in Biomed in my life. Haha. I’d be overqualified for that job in a year. My buddy used to have that job before transferring to another hospital and eventually moving to TN and we talked all about it. Nobody wants the lead job because they don’t want the stress.
Are they burning or flooding?
No??
Then that ain’t stress.
I just want a job where I don’t have to think about the future. I had one and that part of it was great. I never had to worry about some promotion or whatever, because I was already at the top of my union and it paid just fine.
Anyway, it’s hard to give it all up, but it’s for the best.
I turn 48 in a few weeks and shipping out wasn’t about to get easier on me. The good thing is, I don’t have to worry about my blood pressure for physicals anymore. :)

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thrilled getting off of my last ship years ago. Imagine going from the Big E to the Coral Sea. Yep, last cruise was on a ship that had a straight deck at one time.

Latest Threads