I made Joe B quit Insta - Really

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
He makes some valid points. I don't own a single JB song but I am aware of him and what he does. With that out of the way -

I *like* the fact he dresses like a stunt double from 'The Matrix.' I think for what he does it works well for him. It beats wearing a fucking marching band uniform. (Looking at you Eric Johnson)

The sunglasses don't bug me either. They fit the 'Cool' look he's cultivated.

His Instagram observations are spot on.

Imagine being 18-19 years old, trying to build a career and having to worry about becoming a meme. Most of us here are past the age of giving even the smallest fuck about such things. Hell, many don't even participate in social media. If you put yourself out there some shit *will* come your way. At 60 years old my opinion is you can blow me in the town square at high-noon. But at 18, that'd weigh on a kid I'd think.

As for Jonas? He's a twat. But from what I recall he had a good laugh at himself and admitted he fucked up. Good on him for that. If I were him? I'd get the best instructor money could buy woodshed like a beast. Next time I got a spot like that on the Grammys I'd burn the fuckin' house down. Still a twat though.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Joe, as I've stated before...I also like Parkening and Segovia over most guitarists that people here like.

Joe needs to stop reading comments if they're going to tip him over. He's human, most of the people talking shit about him are more fucked up than he is. Just look at the twatter and you'll see some really stupid shit from people that could solve it by shutting the fuck up.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Confidence is a big deal....

Although I'm going to be a bit superficial as I respond to your post, we're on a guitar website... and so I'll stray beyond the overall character of a person so as to say:

Confidence sure makes a hell of a difference in one's guitar tone! :thumb:

Back in the One Hippie days, I was struggling to play the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" and was absolutely failing in my attempts to duplicate the intro.

The thing that got me was: how the hell do you get that really bright, lively, vibrantly choppy tone going while playing the intro to the song?

Somehow, after playing that bit almost miraculously badly for quite a long time, I was about to give it up altogether. But then something interesting happened: I was a bit upset that I couldn't seem to pull off such a simple guitar part as that intro... and so I kind of just bashed at the strings angrily with my right hand. I'm a lefty who plays rightie, so it sure as hell wasn't the chords that were giving me a problem. As usual, it was my right hand.

So I lashed and bashed, and holy smokes-- it sounded almost perfect except that there was too much anger in there. So after sitting there gawking for a minute or two, I decided to back off the force of the pick attack just slightly, to see if I could come up with that sarcastically happy-sounding tone of the song... which, perversely, features lyrics that highlight some of the shittiest behavior our species is capable of.

About five minutes later, I had it nailed... but the thing that jumped out at me was to find that really, it was a lack of confidence in my right-hand skills that had me sucking at that song. I was playing it like Carl Palmer or James Taylor-- not brusquely, the way Keith played it.

After that, I was able to duplicate the tones of yet other artists. As a guitarist, I'm more of a mynah bird than some original player and songwriter to begin with, so for me the big deal is actually just to play good covers of songs created by other people.

I'm not ashamed to admit that. I never wanted to be a professional musician anyway. I just play the guitar because it's a fun challenge, and it's a real gas to be able to play stuff you grew up loving.

But yeah: confidence. I simply was being a bit of a wuss because I didn't realize at that point that my right-hand technique had improved to the point that I could register some degree of feeling into a song.

Later on I nailed Felder's solo in "Hotel California", which also features a pretty heavy pick attack, while (sort of) smoothing things out a little by fading, muting, and sliding at certain points. That's all left-hand shit for me... but to get my pick attack to where it would cooperate with what I was trying to get away with up there on the fretboard was... a little tricky.

Finally, I was like... "Fuck you, Felder! I can play this shit!" and while it wasn't instant magic like what happened with Keith and "Brown Sugar", it wasn't too long before I was able to play Don's fantastic solo well enough to feel as though I wasn't butchering it.

But you have to have that confidence going. These days, I don't get emotional about "overcoming" a bit of music, but I sure do realize that while my right hand is kinda slow much of the time, I sure can still squeeze some "pretty good" shit out of a guitar when my head is all lined up on it.

--R :thumb:

Last edited:

HRC

Reaction score
They fit the 'Cool' look he's cultivated.
giphy.gif

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although I'm going to be a bit superficial as I respond to your post, we're on a guitar website... and so I'll stray beyond the overall character of a person so as to say:

Confidence sure makes a hell of a difference in one's guitar tone! :thumb:

Back in the One Hippie days, I was struggling to play the Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" and was absolutely failing in my attempts to duplicate the intro.

The thing that got me was: how the hell do you get that really bright, lively, vibrantly choppy tone going while playing the intro to the song?

Somehow, after playing that bit almost miraculously badly for quite a long time, I was about to give it up altogether. But then something interesting happened: I was a bit upset that I couldn't seem to pull off such a simple guitar part as that intro... and so I kind of just bashed at the strings angrily with my right hand. I'm a lefty who plays rightie, so it sure as hell wasn't the chords that were giving me a problem. As usual, it was my right hand.

So I lashed and bashed, and holy smokes-- it sounded almost perfect except that there was too much anger in there. So after sitting there gawking for a minute or two, I decided to back off the force of the pick attack just slightly, to see if I could come up with that sarcastically happy-sounding tone of the song... which, perversely, features lyrics that highlight some of the shittiest behavior our species is capable of.

About five minutes later, I had it nailed... but the thing that jumped out at me was to find that really, it was a lack of confidence in my right-hand skills that had me sucking at that song. I was playing it like Carl Palmer or James Taylor-- not brusquely, the way Keith played it.

After that, I was able to duplicate the tones of yet other artists. As a guitarist, I'm more of a mynah bird than some original player and songwriter to begin with, so for me the big deal is actually just to play good covers of songs created by other people.

I'm not ashamed to admit that. I never wanted to be a professional musician anyway. I just play the guitar because it's a fun challenge, and it's a real gas to be able to play stuff you grew up loving.

But yeah: confidence. I simply was being a bit of a wuss because I didn't realize at that point that my right-hand technique had improved to the point that I could register some degree of feeling into a song.

Later on I nailed Felder's solo in "Hotel California", which also features a pretty heavy pick attack, while (sort of) smoothing things out a little by fading, muting, and sliding at certain points. That's all left-hand shit for me... but to get my pick attack to where it would cooperate with what I was trying to get away with up there on the fretboard was... a little tricky.

Finally, I was like... "Fuck you, Felder! I can play this shit!" and while it wasn't instant magic like what happened with Keith and "Brown Sugar", it wasn't too long before I was able to play Don's fantastic solo well enough to feel as though I wasn't butchering it.

But you have to have that confidence going. These days, I don't get emotional about "overcoming" a bit of music, but I sure do realize that while my right hand is kinda slow much of the time, I sure can still squeeze some "pretty good" shit out of a guitar when my head is all lined up on it.

--R :thumb:

Great post, RoBob.... Keef attacks the strings for sure....
Stevie Ray attacked the strings...
Kenny Wayne attacked the strings....

Trevor Rabin with YES attacked the strings with a pick but waaaay more refined and precise....
Al di Meola the same... I think any of the above could cut strings with a pick if they wanted.....

Then you have Jack Pearson slip sliding on the neck but nails it....even with no slide... He can play a lot of WTF? guitar that's make you head spin but looks like an accident...

Confidence.... Dickey Betts in his day could 'doo wah diddy' all day long on a guitar..... mind boggling at times.... No hesitation or pukes.... Lots of folks can kinda 'scat sing solo' on guitar like DIckey BUT and a big BUT, it's a lot different when you can do it as long as you want to instead of just a short turn.... DIckey was a lot greater than a lot give him credit... I. guess his bad spells tarnished a bit...but damn.... He played with confidence on a grand scale.....

Rob H.

Reaction score
He is staring at it in the photo - I think
Ahhh didn’t catch that initially. Hopefully that means he developed a sense of humor about the whole thing. That’s a boss level response. Maybe just a wiser council of PR people though.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait did JB wear hats before Rich the dick bullied the crap out of him?
Yep...
I think every time I've seen him not on-stage, he's been wearing a ballcap.

I rarely venture out without a hat of some kind... both to shade my eyes and because sunburn sucks.

J557

Reaction score
JoeB has said that he understands he’s a polarizing figure and here we are 15 pages in without many rabbit trails or huge arguments. I’d say he was right. Damn we’re bored. Or just me.

Latest Threads