I love Klusons. Are there any low ratio Grovers?

trapland

Reaction score
There are many things I like about klusons. The light weight, the look but most importantly I really prefer a low turn ratio. I’m not sure if vintage style klusons are 12 or 14 to one but I think they tune fast.

The reason I don’t like Grovers is why most people DO.

I don’t care for Grover Tuners with 16-18 to 1 ratios. It takes forever to hit pitch, and forget changing a string on stage without a winder or a singer that thinks he’s terribly clever with delay banter. Ok that’s just me, if you like em, great, that’s why there’s choices.

BUT! I’m considering a guitar that already has Grover’s. Are there any Grover type replacements with lower turn ratios? I don’t want to make extra holes changing to klusons, so a solution would be to find 12or 14 to 1 Grover’s. Anyone know who or where to get such a beast?

This is the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger.

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
Did the guitar have grovers stock? How old is the guitar? There's a chance it could have the original grovers above.

trapland

Reaction score
Yes t does have Grover’s. Thanks for the links. I’d really like to get way down there on ratio....maybe I just need friction pegs. Lol.
At least now I can check tuners off my list of reasons not to buy.

moreles

Reaction score
I like 12:1 Rotomatics just fine -- far better feel than Klusons of any ratio, IMO, because they are smooth, tight, and don't slip. I've had bad luck with Klusons -- and I dislike the art-deco buttons, which are completely out of place on a LP, despite being original spec.

Breezin

Reaction score
DSCN0031b.jpg

When I got my 335 in the 80's it had Grover's, and like you I prefer Klusons.
You can install the Klusons and only use the 1 screw hole that the Grovers were using.
It works just fine , Ive had it that way for 30 years.

Last edited:

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
I like 12:1 Rotomatics just fine -- far better feel than Klusons of any ratio, IMO, because they are smooth, tight, and don't slip. I've had bad luck with Klusons -- and I dislike the art-deco buttons, which are completely out of place on a LP, despite being original spec.
I used to agree with you, til I tried Gotoh SD90s, which are a Kluson ripoff from Japan. Gotoh hardware is used on pretty much all the high-end Japanese guitars. They function better than my grovers on my other Les Paul. Seriously these things stay in tune so well and you can buy them with a coin/ flathead locking top, which I have on my tele and they're pretty amazing as well.

Original klusons and the reissues Gibson use suck imo. I don't know why they have to use the original brand; these Gotohs have the same vertical stripes on the back with 'Deluxe' written on them. I'm pretty sure TonePros use a lot of Gotoh stuff, just rebadged.

Latest Threads