I love it when people ask for info on MIJ guitars.

Tulip

Reaction score
I got a few questions in the old message box here from a new member (no posts anyway) about a Reverb guitar for sale. It is a Super Real but from 1979 with some non-original DRY-Z in them. I'm usually happy to help a new MLP member (at least up to now.....)

After giving him some ideas on why the guitar could be, in my opinion, an EGF-850 or EGF-1000 he was pretty sure that the logo on the headstock meant it must be an EG-500....no question.

Here is the guitar in question...https://reverb.com/item/29665182-greco-super-real-super-real-case-1979-dry-z-pair

The last message I received is below. What say you all? About the guitar that is.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another way to tell this is a low end guitar- no volute on the neck. 800 and above had volutes.

oh, so now you're going to pretend that you can't see the difference? That's just ego. You'd rather have people think you're right than actually be right. And the logo doesn't mean it's specifically a 500, just that it's a low end guitar. I'm not sure it's a 500, I'm just sure that it's not an 800 or above.

Here you just blatantly lied. If you'd actually checked the catalogue you would have seen that the eg800 and eg1000 look so much different than that guys guitar that it's impossible to confuse the two. The more you talk the more obvious it is that you're just making it up as you go.

I didn't link to any bolt on neck guitars. You are really working hard to be as obtuse as you can.

And yet in your first post you claimed that mop inlays are one of the ways you can tell whether it's a 500 or a 1000. Turns out you were just blowing smoke up my ass. . .Again

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. All those features can be found on low end guitars (except maybe laminated top, but there's no way to tell whether the top on that guys instrument is laminated or veneer). They are not useful identifiers.

Possibly, but I doubt it. acrylic inlays would be green on a guitar that age unless it spent virtually it's whole life in a case. The wear on the guitar show that it wasn't kept in a case. But you could be right because I'm making an educated guaess and unlike you, when I'm just guessing, I'll admit it.

You're a phony. Your claim to expertise is just a fantasy you live on the internet. You have no real expertise. You take pics from japanese guitar retailers and then claim they are your own. Your only expertise is finding japanese sites to steal pics from. You know next to nothing about the guitars. You're a total and complete fraud. Frauds love living a fantasy life as a fake expert on messageboards. I hope that guy finds a buyer for his guitar and they never figure out what it really is because he's the innocent victim in this. He's not trying to con anybody, he was conned by you.

- a little tip- you should crop out the japanese writing in the photos that you want to claim as your own.
You helped me, a total stranger, for free and not expecting to get anything back for it. You are a rare breed.

Genuinely felt sad reading that, that you cop that kind of response.

You don’t know what people are going through in their lives so maybe there are other reasons for that, or maybe not. Either way best to just move on from it.

Thanks again for your time giving me advice.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Oh yeah, the guitar :) A strange one, green chiclet caps, nice 1200ish veneer (though 1980 8fiddy veneers generally more flamey than 1981 pinstripeys, maybe '79 8fiddy got top shelf). Non-burststyle serial no. may suggest transition to the classic way post-'80. Twin-ring tuners not original,unless 'twas a '79 thing. TRC screw is inline with tuners, mine are both 5-8mm forward of 'em. Blockier nut- replaced at some stage. Nice guitar apart from the bashing it's had (but no buckle-rash), which makes me leery of the "lacquer crack" pattern at the nut/neck...

jimmyjames

Reaction score
At a lower price, would be worth a look. Bit of TLC, could have a kickarse rare '79 Super Real. His motivation to have it confirmed as a 500 or below, to screw the seller right down on price :rolleyes:

free713

Reaction score
Haha what a complete ahole. That guy has problems for sure. I agree with all the positive things people say about you. You Sir are a treasure and deserve nothing but praise!

Erob

Premium Member
Reaction score
After owning and playing nothing but a Strat for 30 + years I began toying with the idea of purchasing a LP. I searched the internet for information and came across this forum and was intrigued about Japanese LP's. After alot of reading and asking a ton of annoying newbie questions I purchased my first Japanese LP - Burny. Before buying it I sent you photos because the truss rod cover was of concern causing some to think it was a Chinese made LP. You were quick to point out numerous things about the guitar reassuring me it was in fact a Japan model. Sure enough, I was able to find it online in a previous Japanese catalog. I still consider myself a newb when it comes to these guitars and this newb will always be grateful for your knowledge. Thank Ya Sir.

Greco

Reaction score
Hi Greco, no need at all to apologize, I was looking for some info for you and couldn’t find it but then the message got a bit buried so sorry to leave you hanging. The short answer is I’m not sure if the guitar came in black.
Thank you for your research. Got curious when I was told. Wish I could send you the guitar to look at. Thank you again!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I don't understand the attitude of some people on the internet. If I ask a question and someone is taking the time to answer it, I generally appreciate the effort. If I think they are wrong I will raise it as a question and point out why I think so. If I turn out to be wrong I usually say sorry and thanks for the info. I don't just start belittling or insulting the other person if I think there is a mistake. The sad thing is that it could be a long term forum member who just re-registered with a new account.

Anyways, wulfman, thanks for answering some of my questions in the past. Appreciate the advice over the years.

kakerlak

Reaction score
I was a hound on the used/vintage market in my teens, back in the late nineties. I know a ton of shit, but there's also a ton of shit I don't know, including things that just flat out didn't exist as knowledge to be had at the time -- models (and so many entirely new brands) from this century, new revelations about vintage instruments, materials, construction, etc...

I have learned a ton of new stuff from this forum and others over the years. I'm always amazed by the things folks know and the power of collective knowledge to be gained when something oddball comes up. I devour that shit.

Nobody was really hip to the JDM stuff 25 years ago here in the states -- we knew those Tokai strats and MOJ Yamahas were cool and every once in a while, something else obviously well made would show up, but the only Grecos I'd ever seen were the godawful sixties bolt neck hollow bodies hanging in pawn shops. Man, @wulfman I know I've personally learned a bunch of stuff from chatting with you, reading your post here, and drooling over your FS posts. I have a guitar hanging on my wall six feet away from me that I not only bought on this forum, but learned more about here, too.

skydog

Reaction score
@wulfman why wouldn't you just delete or disregard the message? It's not worth the time and effort to respond, and the onslaught of fanboi ‘attaboys’ is equivalent to motion sickness!

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That was the third message I got from him after an innocent opening, and it was a good question about the 1979 Super Real. It was hilarious that the person ran out of straws to grasp and reached several firm conclusions about Grecos in general that didn't seem up for debate.

Cheers to everyone here who posts information and asks or answers questions on the MLP - it is a global group collective effort to convince ourselves to get just one more MIJ guitar, and your assistance is critical!

Have a good weekend!

zeneffect

Reaction score
What i don't understand out of all of this thread is the determination of range based on quality of top.

I haven't seen anything in person beyond my own 850

Tightness of flame?

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
For my thinking it has more to do with the date of 1979 and what I think is a veneer top (it has the typical veneer shrinking and crack, and black shielding paint used on the 850 and 1000). The EGF 1200 came out in 1980 so that is not a likely option.

Latest Threads