I love it when people ask for info on MIJ guitars.

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I got a few questions in the old message box here from a new member (no posts anyway) about a Reverb guitar for sale. It is a Super Real but from 1979 with some non-original DRY-Z in them. I'm usually happy to help a new MLP member (at least up to now.....)

After giving him some ideas on why the guitar could be, in my opinion, an EGF-850 or EGF-1000 he was pretty sure that the logo on the headstock meant it must be an EG-500....no question.

Here is the guitar in question...https://reverb.com/item/29665182-greco-super-real-super-real-case-1979-dry-z-pair

The last message I received is below. What say you all? About the guitar that is.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another way to tell this is a low end guitar- no volute on the neck. 800 and above had volutes.

"The logo uniquely says its a 500?

Maybe it is an EGF-1200 after all. "
oh, so now you're going to pretend that you can't see the difference? That's just ego. You'd rather have people think you're right than actually be right. And the logo doesn't mean it's specifically a 500, just that it's a low end guitar. I'm not sure it's a 500, I'm just sure that it's not an 800 or above.

". . . with some research and checking old catalogs it is clear that it is an 850 or 1000 "
Here you just blatantly lied. If you'd actually checked the catalogue you would have seen that the eg800 and eg1000 look so much different than that guys guitar that it's impossible to confuse the two. The more you talk the more obvious it is that you're just making it up as you go.

The Rock Spirits model you linked on ebay is from the 1990s and is a bolt-on neck model.
I didn't link to any bolt on neck guitars. You are really working hard to be as obtuse as you can.

I did have one Eg-500 that had MOP inlays
And yet in your first post you claimed that mop inlays are one of the ways you can tell whether it's a 500 or a 1000. Turns out you were just blowing smoke up my ass. . .Again

Higher end guitar features: Laminated top, fret edge binding, real mother of pearl inlays.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong. All those features can be found on low end guitars (except maybe laminated top, but there's no way to tell whether the top on that guys instrument is laminated or veneer). They are not useful identifiers.

By the way, the inlays on the 500 you linked are plastic and not MOP.
Possibly, but I doubt it. acrylic inlays would be green on a guitar that age unless it spent virtually it's whole life in a case. The wear on the guitar show that it wasn't kept in a case. But you could be right because I'm making an educated guaess and unlike you, when I'm just guessing, I'll admit it.

You're a phony. Your claim to expertise is just a fantasy you live on the internet. You have no real expertise. You take pics from japanese guitar retailers and then claim they are your own. Your only expertise is finding japanese sites to steal pics from. You know next to nothing about the guitars. You're a total and complete fraud. Frauds love living a fantasy life as a fake expert on messageboards. I hope that guy finds a buyer for his guitar and they never figure out what it really is because he's the innocent victim in this. He's not trying to con anybody, he was conned by you.

- a little tip- you should crop out the japanese writing in the photos that you want to claim as your own.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Wow.

Harold, you are a source of great information for me and many others here. I sure appreciate your expertise.

My March of 82 EG500C has nibs, and mother of pearl inlays :rofl: I know it's a 500 though as it has a 3p top.

Greco

Reaction score
I got a few questions in the old message box here from a new member (no posts anyway) about a Reverb guitar for sale. It is a Super Real but from 1979 with some non-original DRY-Z in them. I'm usually happy to help a new MLP member (at least up to now.....)

After giving him some ideas on why the guitar could be, in my opinion, an EGF-850 or EGF-1000 he was pretty sure that the logo on the headstock meant it must be an EG-500....no question.

Here is the guitar in question...https://reverb.com/item/29665182-greco-super-real-super-real-case-1979-dry-z-pair

The last message I received is below. What say you all? About the guitar that is.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Another way to tell this is a low end guitar- no volute on the neck. 800 and above had volutes.

oh, so now you're going to pretend that you can't see the difference? That's just ego. You'd rather have people think you're right than actually be right. And the logo doesn't mean it's specifically a 500, just that it's a low end guitar. I'm not sure it's a 500, I'm just sure that it's not an 800 or above.

Here you just blatantly lied. If you'd actually checked the catalogue you would have seen that the eg800 and eg1000 look so much different than that guys guitar that it's impossible to confuse the two. The more you talk the more obvious it is that you're just making it up as you go.

I didn't link to any bolt on neck guitars. You are really working hard to be as obtuse as you can.

And yet in your first post you claimed that mop inlays are one of the ways you can tell whether it's a 500 or a 1000. Turns out you were just blowing smoke up my ass. . .Again

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. All those features can be found on low end guitars (except maybe laminated top, but there's no way to tell whether the top on that guys instrument is laminated or veneer). They are not useful identifiers.

Possibly, but I doubt it. acrylic inlays would be green on a guitar that age unless it spent virtually it's whole life in a case. The wear on the guitar show that it wasn't kept in a case. But you could be right because I'm making an educated guaess and unlike you, when I'm just guessing, I'll admit it.

You're a phony. Your claim to expertise is just a fantasy you live on the internet. You have no real expertise. You take pics from japanese guitar retailers and then claim they are your own. Your only expertise is finding japanese sites to steal pics from. You know next to nothing about the guitars. You're a total and complete fraud. Frauds love living a fantasy life as a fake expert on messageboards. I hope that guy finds a buyer for his guitar and they never figure out what it really is because he's the innocent victim in this. He's not trying to con anybody, he was conned by you.

- a little tip- you should crop out the japanese writing in the photos that you want to claim as your own.
Not going to lie as I know for a fact I’m one of the people that asked you recently in a private message on the forums so I’ll say it here. I apologize if I came off as annoying or know it all. I feel like an asshole and I certainly did not mean to give off that impression. I truly hope you can forgive me. Thank you for providing information across the forums and thank you for every detail you can give. I certainly don’t tolerate people correcting me and neither should you.

mono

Reaction score
I've known Harold for years, had a beer with him when passing through Singapore (I think... I was jet lagged!) And have bought a load of guitars off him with a lot of trust involved.

The man is a pillar of the community.
He gives a lot of information and guidance and expects nothing in return.

So that guy can go fuck himself!

GammyBird

Reaction score
I still love ya Wulf!

There are more than a few grey areas with some of these models but normally it can be sorted out. No need to get nasty with PM's. Back in the day, all nasty remarks were saved for a thread so everybody could see. Good times!!!

wulfman

ABB Fan
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not going to lie as I know for a fact I’m one of the people that asked you recently in a private message on the forums so I’ll say it here. I apologize if I came off as annoying or know it all. I feel like an asshole and I certainly did not mean to give off that impression. I truly hope you can forgive me. Thank you for providing information across the forums and thank you for every detail you can give. I certainly don’t tolerate people correcting me and neither should you.
Hi Greco, no need at all to apologize, I was looking for some info for you and couldn’t find it but then the message got a bit buried so sorry to leave you hanging. The short answer is I’m not sure if the guitar came in black.

Mockbel

Reaction score
The mail is obviously personal offensive rather than technical debate... If I felt that an advice is wrong I would just ignore it rather than writing all this offensive reply !
This guy is not stable... or having too much spare time

Brek

Reaction score
Or it is the seller looking to ‘validate’ with a view to passing it it off on someone as authenticated by an expert?

zeneffect

Reaction score
Sure looks a lot like my 81 egf850 and not my 78 eg500.

Send the guy my way, ill ask $4000 for it as its not as beat, has 32st hand gibsomething or other pickups and was made from wood that came from the same tree as abe Lincoln's teeth.

$nakepit

Reaction score
Obviously, he has no idea what he's talking about. I've benefitted from your advice over a decade, both here and on the Tokaiforum.

The whole "I can be anonymous online" has upsides but, as demonstrated by those PM's, some downsides as well. In a conversation, he probably wouldn't have made those ad hominem attacks (at least I hope he wouldn't!)

Once again, just wanna say thank you for all your contributions through the years. :)

Latest Threads