I lost my best friend

Caretaker

Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments and well wishes.
I really appreciate it.
And please post photos of your fur children.

NRBQ

Reaction score
I`ve been trying to cope with this but I`m not feeling any better.
It`s damn near impossible to talk about without me crying my eyes out.
Maybe typing it here will help in the long run. Maybe not.
Scooby was my best friend.
Long haired Chihuahua.
Heart of gold. Always by my side.
Sat at the door 15 minutes before I was due home.
View media item 108118He was always so happy.
He was a rescue and went through hell before he joined our family.
3 broken legs, teeth removed, broken ribs and only 3 lbs.
He overcame everything and gained weight to a healthy 7 lbs.
Cheese was his favorite.
10 days ago he lost the use of his hind legs completely. They were always weak.
His head drooped to one side and he didn`t eat a thing for 3 days.
He apparently suffered a stroke.
The Dr was examining him and he suffered another stroke in the office.
We knew it was time.
My sister called me at work to let me know. When I was paged I knew what it was.
It was what needed to be done.
I was not there and did not get to say goodbye.
I could not ask for him to suffer until I could get there.
I know it was what was best for my little boy, but that doesn`t make it hurt any less.
Here he is doing what he enjoyed most, napping.View media item 108119
And here guarding my guitar with full guard dog attitude(he THOUGHT he was a Rottweiler).View media item 108120I am not looking for sympathy or anything really. I just needed to do this hoping it helps me deal with it.
Goodbye my sweet little boy.
I love you.

View media item 107328

So sorry for your loss, pet owners know your pain, it's the toughest thing to say goodbye to your best friend. And yet we do what is right for our friend and not ourselves, this is as it should be. There are many here that understand, but we also know that our memories are forever and so is the love. All my best to you.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_0835.PNG

This was my Buddy. Sweetest, most loving little ball of fur I've ever had. He gives me that look from my phone to remind me that he's still precious to me.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Caretaker, my dog was nearing 13 and had a history of ear problems. No matter what medication or treatment we did or the vet did it carmen back. One day about two years ago she had stroke like symptoms and lost the ability to walk on her back legs and had the head tilt. The vet said it was vestibular disease. My dog didn’t regain the ability to walk, well briefly but i realize now she was also going blind and had congenital heart disease. Airs tough seeing our beloved companions age so quickly before our eyes and it is painful that you can’t do anything to stop it. She had to be put down after a valiant 6 months. I swear i couldn’t talk about it for 6 months without tears. I only ever cried twice as an adult. When my father passed and my dog. Here’s a few pics to share. I hope you can cherish the time you had with your beloved pup and move past the grief soon. Yes that’s a car seat she’s on. She had big time anxiety prob because she couldn’t see well and was only comfortable on car rides so I took the seat of my car out and put it in the house for her to lay on for familiarity.

Here’s is a link that I hope may help fellow MLP’er with diagnosing it should their pet go through a similar situation.

https://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/health/stroke-old-dog-vestibular-syndrome/

42B86159-ACBB-4A12-A70E-04A8DAA5C80A.jpeg

04C9349E-6040-4693-8297-AE131C9BF261.jpeg

E4136AEF-15FE-4A19-9F02-6CA255D7A8B4.jpeg

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I've lost 4 over the last 10 years. I have 2 more here with me now.....it's never easy, but it's what animal people do......We give the ones who need a home a home.

Steven

Reaction score
Pet Loss is agonizing. I've suffered many times, weeks of crying. The Rainbow Bridge is a touching online site.

nitrodave08

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, we just had one of our fur babies pass away. Shadow passed Sunday Nov 4 1 month shy of her 10th b-day. She had a heart murmur and it had gotten worse over the last 3 months. I could not get off of work and was going to take her to the vet Monday with the conclusion to have her put to peace. Couple of hours after going to work talking to my wife, she passed away. Even though I wasn't there, my wife was able to console her and I she was able to hear me with me on speaker phone. We had 3 dachshunds and 2 German Shepards. A second before I heard the words "she is gone" the 4 other dogs barked as to send her off.

This is her picture from Sunday morning
full

Peanut, Trixie, Shadow and Ruger
full

About 2 months ago we got another GSD, and was going to try to do a 5 dog shoot this weekend. This is Roz she is 13 weeks right now and you can see a PITA haha. She tore up the work I did on the back of the Jeep to make it more comfortable for the GSDs.
20181106_090554.jpg

RainbowBridge.JPG

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
. . . And please post photos of your fur children.

Here I am with our hound/lab mix Georgia. We named her after the state from which she was rescued. She was left at a dumpster.

The photo is from the second time we saw her. We had her "on hold" because she hadn't been spayed and couldn't go home yet. But we knew from the first time we saw her she was going to be ours.
IMG957191.jpg

Peace

Rex

hobbyman

Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Scooby.

amused

Reaction score
As you can tell from my avatar, I can feel your pain, dogs are the best, and the most loyal to us humans

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
@Caretaker, I have seen your recent posts, even the thread in the classifieds, and I know right now is tough, but you can help yourself by playing your guitars. Dont get rid of them; they can help you to heal. Play them. There will be a catharsis, where you "come to" with tears on your cheeks, and a guitar in your hands. It has happened to me more than once, and each time, there was clarity after the catharsis.

There will never be another Scooby, but there can be another little buddy who will wag his tail when you get home, shower you with love, chase the tennis ball and seek out your lap to snuggle into. The local shelters are loaded with animals who just want someone to love them. You aren't quite ready yet, as you still need to grieve some more, but when you are ready, please don't hesitate to go to a shelter. The shelter people say that the animals need to be rescued, but the truth is, the people going to shelters to rescue an animal often need to be rescued by a little furry face just as much as the little furry face does.

Most of you have probably seen this somewhere. I saw it on Facebook, and it is so very true...

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolf hound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

PAL011ML.jpg

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, 'I know why.'
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, 'People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life - - like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

I wish you peace through this difficult time. You have an entire corner of the internet hoping that you'll find a new reason to smile, soon. We're here, and any one of us will be happy to help. Reach out. We got you.

Latest Threads