i little suggestion for the fake gibby spotters

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if you dont know what you are talking about, please keep things to yourself.
unless you are 100% certain that you have all of the information and knowledge so you can make an informed appraisal of the situation, please keep from chiming in threads that are asking for a guitars legitimacy.
there have been some instances lately of guitars being outed as fakes which were in fact real gibsons and some embarrassing situations came up.
i have been playing les pauls for over 25 years, as well as working with them every day at my job, yet that doesnt make me an expert in spotting fakes, so to those of you that may fancy yourself as a bit of an expert, please dont bring a knife to a gunfight.
if you are posting factual information, make sure that it is right, or leave it to the experts that know this stuff inside out.
i am not pointing fingers or laying blame toward anyone, i am just making a suggestion.

thanks for reading.

teame1

Reaction score
Wow a tad strong! Comes across as a bit more than just a suggestion.
So who are the experts then?

apocalypsebob

Reaction score
I've seen this happen various places, seen a couple sales go bad because some person claimed fake on a real guitar

it is quite unfortunate when it happens

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow a tad strong! Comes across as a bit more than just a suggestion.
So who are the experts then?

not me. and no it is not too strong. people who dont know what they are talking about or dont have all of the correct information should not give advice.

BCRGreg
Eric Ernest
ConGREGation
or any of thre other vendors, luthiers, or experienced repair people here.

bertzie

Reaction score
Please tell me every possible thing that could discern a guitar from being a fake gibson.

I promise I will in no way use this to make the perfect fradulant gibson guitars.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
I hope this includes epiphone too. I know most of the guys know their stuff but sometimes Im like man come on how can you tell that from a bad pic.

River

Reaction score
Please tell me every possible thing that could discern a guitar from being a fake gibson.

I promise I will in no way use this to make the perfect fradulant gibson guitars.
See the build threads in the Luthier's Corner. Everything you need to know.

Mob is right on. There have been, and will continue to be, debacles unless such threads are simply prohibited, which would be fine by me. How is one to know who the experts are? We tried giving out titles for Epi expertise, and it helped - but only for a while, really.

I, personally, would never go by consensus in an open thread. Some experts are new members with two posts, some who know practically nothing (like me :)) have a gazillion. I've only called "fake" in one thread, and it was so obvious as to be absurd.

I would read a PILE of old threads to determine who the real experts were, and send them a visitor message. But, here we are. Mob's advice isn't going to stop people who think they're qualified, but aren't, from chiming in.

Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I see where that has been a problem here....

It's way funnier when they pronounce a fake as the real deal though.

McLovin

Reaction score
I agree we all need to be careful when making these calls but out of the 10+ guitars posted I've seen this week 1 or maybe 2 where called incorrectly. That's 80 -90%. not bad in my book. and please lets keep the name calling to a minimum.

teame1

Reaction score
not me. and no it is not too strong. people who dont know what they are talking about or dont have all of the correct information should not give advice.

BCRGreg
Eric Ernest
ConGREGation
or any of thre other vendors, luthiers, or experienced repair people here.

Sorry but I disagree. Obviously I don't know the situation('s) that has prompted your post. However

1) I joined MLP because I wanted some info on something. The info I received back was very usefull.
2) Are the above experts volunteering to always be available to provide their expert advice. I think not.
3) Here we are talking photo's I assume. Photo's can be totally fake, doctored or not of a good enough quality to determine 100%. I can't see how anyone can be 100% sure. Experts can be fooled even when investigating items they have in front of them.

I just hope that the opinions I sometimes ask for, will still be forthcoming from lesser members. I value their help.

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree we all need to be careful when making these calls but out of the 10+ guitars posted I've seen this week 1 or maybe 2 where called incorrectly. That's 90%+. not bad in my book. and please lets keep the name calling to a minimum.

there is no name calling going on. relax. in the 3 years that i have been here i have seen a lot more than one or two bad calls. i have seen some situations get downright ugly.
i have been here a while, and i have seen a lot.
i dont claim to be an expert and i dont name call.

bertzie

Reaction score
See the build threads in the Luthier's Corner. Everything you need to know.

Mob is right on. There have been, and will continue to be, debacles unless such threads are simply prohibited, which would be fine by me. How is one to know who the experts are? We tried giving out titles for Epi expertise, and it helped - but only for a while, really.

I, personally, would never go by consensus in an open thread. Some experts are new members with two posts, some who know practically nothing (like me :)) have a gazillion. I've only called "fake" in one thread, and it was so obvious as to be absurd.

I would read a PILE of old threads to determine who the real experts were, and send them a visitor message. But, here we are. Mob's advice isn't going to stop people who think they're qualified, but aren't, from chiming in.

I guess I should have put that in purple >.<

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Some people should just know better than to take the word of some random person on the internet.

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I disagree. Obviously I don't know the situation('s) that has prompted your post. However

1) I joined MLP because I wanted some info on something. The info I received back was very usefull.
2) Are the above experts volunteering to always be available to provide their expert advice. I think not.
3) Here we are talking photo's I assume. Photo's can be totally fake, doctored or not of a good enough quality to determine 100%. I can't see how anyone can be 100% sure. Experts can be fooled even when investigating items they have in front of them.

I just hope that the opinions I sometimes ask for, will still be forthcoming from lesser members. I value their help.

it is well within your rights to disagree. that is what forums are for. i just think that some thought needs to be put in before a post is made that could make or break a deal that i am not a part of.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I think it's fair to say "it looks a little off to me, but I'll defer to the experts for a final judgement". I also think it's just as concerning when a fake is flagged as legitimate, as someone may be plonking down $$ based on the assessment. If I've learned anything up here, it's that I would not buy a Gibson or an Epiphone without holding it in my hands, and I'd still want a second opinion!

McLovin

Reaction score
there is no name calling going on. relax. in the 3 years that i have been here i have seen a lot more than one or two bad calls. i have seen some situations get downright ugly.
i have been here a while, and i have seen a lot.
i dont claim to be an expert and i dont name call.

kp was name calling not you. sorry for the misunderstanding. Also, I completely agree with your post. I just think that most guitars get called correctly and it's a big help for many potential guitar buyers to be able to post pics here and for the most part get a correct call.:)

Latest Threads