I Just Ordered a Faber ABRN Bridge and Lightweight Tailpiece.

whatshisname

Reaction score
I've been curious about these for quite a long time, and decided to pull the trigger. I'm excited to see how it changes, and hopefully improves, my '11 Traditional.

BDW60

Reaction score
If possible, do a recording of basic clean, crunch and driven samples taking note of every setting on amp or modeler. Repeat after install of Faber stuff, play the same stuff.

That’s the only way you’ll really know if it changes anything, IMO. Confirmation bias is powerful, and our tone memories are weak.

Kody

Reaction score
I have the master kit pro, and I feel it was a positive change in tone. My guitar was already quite bright, so I did not notice a dramatic difference, but it has a fuller sound now to my ears. And I enjoy the lockdown feature for string changes.

moreles

Reaction score
I would be surprised if these changes don't give you at least slight tonal improvement in ways most people like. I have installed these parts and found that the fit is vastly superior to the low-spec workmanship on the original Gibson parts. (It's pretty amazing, and disappointing, that the Gibson hardware is not more precisely made.) The better fit means that less string energy is wasted, so you should get a little more sustain and clarity. I found that the lighter tailpiece seemed to yield a little brighter, clearer sound. While I read the exaggerated descriptios others have posted with some skepticism, since the changes I enjoyed were slight, they are, IMO, nice improvements. And, of course, having parts that are cleanly made and which fit precisely is always a plus.

nac

Reaction score
Did you order just the bridge and tail piece or the kit with the new bridge posts?

Pappy35

Reaction score
My bridge is buzzing (the spring is vibrating). I can just fix it, or remove it entirely, but this got me wondering: What other aftermarket bridges are out there? Faber's site isn't very good at explaining what differentiates there's from other. So, what makes you want to buy their bridge?

ThePanda

Reaction score
Callaham is another big one. Replica of ABR-1 but cold roll steel construction. I just got this as my old ABR was in bad condition and I could not get replacement saddles. It dropped right in. I love it. A little pricey but great. If you think you have fitment issues email them. They are really helpful.

Mojoaxe is known for their wraparounds, but they have an ABR-1 Bridge.

I have also heard PigTails ABR, but that one is more expensive than the Callaham.

whatshisname

Reaction score
@nac I've just bought the bridge and tailpiece, at the moment. I'll upgrade the rest soon.

Reactions: nac

nac

Reaction score
I have a LP Traditional as well and have been thinking about doing something similar. I'd love to know what you think when you get it!

Hydra19

Reaction score
I've had a couple of faber bridges for my les pauls. Everyone said they were a huge improvement and I did notice better tone, but also brighter tone.
Last week I got a greco les paul custom, I replaced the strings and the bridge with a faber and it lost some tone. It came with nickel wound strings but i put on pure nickels. I put the original bridge on today and the tone thickened up, will put on some nickel wound strings back on as well.
So for that guitar the faber bridge didn't work out, but it could be the pure nickel strings. I read that they can sound dull with brass saddles. My faber bridge also just had starter notches so that could have attributed to thinner tone

Last edited:

whatshisname

Reaction score
I recieved my tailpiece quite a while ago, but the bridge got stuck in the mail until today. So, I just got to install them! I must say that the tone has opened up a bit, and has a bit of a "zing" to it now acoustically. I will be ordering the kit to replace the bushings and studs, soon. I should have to begin with. I cannot believe how much play there is between the stock studs and bushings. I mean a TON. The upgrade should fix that. One thing is for absolute certain- My guitar looks better. The tailpiece looks virtually the same, but It's amazing just how much different it looks with the ABR. It just looks right.

MiniB

Reaction score
Yes I've actually collected some replacement bushings over the years for Nashville-type Les Paul bridges that have a more snug fit to the thumbwheel/post threads. I think from Gotoh. The stock Gibson ones on Trads and Standards are quite loose/wobbly.

Last edited:

RocketKing

Reaction score
I recieved my tailpiece quite a while ago, but the bridge got stuck in the mail until today. So, I just got to install them! I must say that the tone has opened up a bit, and has a bit of a "zing" to it now acoustically. I will be ordering the kit to replace the bushings and studs, soon. I should have to begin with. I cannot believe how much play there is between the stock studs and bushings. I mean a TON. The upgrade should fix that. One thing is for absolute certain- My guitar looks better. The tailpiece looks virtually the same, but It's amazing just how much different it looks with the ABR. It just looks right.
Well the tech i took my guitar too said the stock studs and bushings were very firmly in place when he took them out to put in the Faber parts.
Or at least that's what he said when he charged me extra.
I later unfortunately discovered he was more mouth than skill so who knows.
I can't say I had any issues at all with the stock parts though.
I changed them "just because".

Justin_Case

Reaction score
Find a new Tech - it takes no special tools or skill to extract the Gibson bridge bushings. The kit comes with a Wing Nut to
screw in to the old bushing. Takes of of 2 minutes

I just did a 2013 Traditional with the full Faber Plus Kit.

MiniB

Reaction score
The bushings were firmly into the guitar's top no problem, it's just ah the tolerances/fit of the threading between them and the thumbwheels was rather wobbly and loose. That's why I've gotten complete Gotoh bushing/thumbwheel sets and just replaced the stock ones with them.

whatshisname

Reaction score
That's the issue I have. The bushings are snug, but the posts are very loose in them.

MiniB

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that under string pressure they're still not going anywhere even if they feel loose with no pressure. It might be worth trying a replacement set like....

...although I'm not sure if those are the exact same that come stock. These guys also sell different versions, including 'conversion' ones to use an ABR bridge on them....

Last edited:

GySgtFTL

Reaction score
I have a '12 Traditional and I did the whole Faber kit replacement...studs, bridge and tailpiece. Actually I took it to Joe Glaser's shop and had them do it. Mine turned out great; Never looked back. The only minor issue I had was that the new bushing/inserts for the bridge, were a bit longer than the current holes were deep, so I had the tech drill the holes a tiny bit deeper (didn't need much) just so they would be flush. Apparently others had that same issue.

Latest Threads