I just learned about a friend passing away

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
It was his birthday yesterday. Facebook sent me a reminder, which I got on my phone while I was in class. So, it did what it had to do and reminded me of him, and that I needed to congratulate him for his birthday. As soon as I had a few free minutes I posted on his timeline and wished him a happy birthday. The last time we "spoke" was probably a year ago, for the same reason.

He would have been 53 years old. He lived in Australia, and for a number of reasons, he lived far from his children: Maddie and Pete. He hadn´t seen them in years due to a horrible divorce. I never inquired about his personal life, but I knew that his not seeing them was a constant pain in his heart. I don´t know if he ever saw them again.

We became friends at a forum, pretty similar to this one, I guess. Much smaller, though. He shared a few personal things there that made me want to reach out and we became friends. He took an interest in my life and he offered many a good advice. He was a tremendous guitar player and tinkerer; he even developed a sustain system, pickups, different guitar wirings, etc. I had and have no clue about electronics, so we didn´t chat much about that. He also liked to take pictures and share them in Facebook...he did some great pictures, and usually accompanied the image with a little thought on life or his children.

He shared a number of times that he was not well. I don´t know what it was...but it seems it was sudden. He was taken to a hospital mid October last year and died there.

I feel like I wasn´t a good friend to him in the end. We didn´t keep in touch, and I know I could and should have. He was a gentle man and very caring about others. I write this with tears in my eyes: I will miss you Pete. May God give you peace at last.

3476_520796047938634_606705193_n.jpg

Laggspike

Reaction score
wow.. :(

I am sorry to hear mate :(

a part of life.. a part that suck..

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss MB. I had a similar situation, a good friend from a workplace. He and I both left that job for other employ, but kept in touch through email. I later went back to that workplace for a while, and spoke to a mutual friend casually, "hey what have you heard from Geoff, lately ?". Only to be told "well ... I went to his funeral last month."

Man, that made me feel like crud. I didn't even know he was sick or had died, and I blithely brought him up to just be told out of the blue like that.

People can be important to us, even if we don't have regular contact. I wish you peace, and prayers for your friend.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss!

It's not how often you communicate, he knew you were a friend so just be glad you knew him.

53 is young though and I have lost relatives, friends, and people I knew over the last couple of years unexpectedly which leads me to say, take the opportunity to tell people that you care, as often as you can.

You never know when it's going to be the last time~

S. Rock

Reaction score
my condolences. I visited one of my good friends once on my way back home to Louisiana. I found out that he had passed away a month or so later. I knew he was very sick and it wouldn't be long for him. I'm glad that I at least went by to visit him before his passing. but I still wish that I could have been there more. again, my condolences.

KP11520

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear you lost a good one!

And sometimes, that's how it just is... Life (and death)

But somehow in reading this, I keep getting this feeling that he was ready for it and was pretty much done here. And he's good now!

Remember him well! You were both there for each other for a while. And that's what being friends is about! And then life and death happens with all of it.

It's always hardest on those still living (here). Peace!

electric head

Just passing thru
Reaction score
sorry to hear but I can tell you one thing..
When I pass on its not really going to be the people standing right there
its going to be the people I have good memories of that I will be thinking about..
you were a friend and that's important..

Frogfur

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. Surely he is in a better place now.

Tazz3

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, I found out to day somebody I knew from school passed from ALS
He was in his 40s

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Really sorry for you. Don't feel guilty about not staying in touch. All us guys do that. We know we have a friend out there, and we'll talk when we do. It's our nature. Unless he wanted to tell you where the treasure is buried, I'm sure all was well between you.
It's one of the many advantages of being born with weeners.
Condolences, brother. May be rest in peace and God comfort the kids.

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
He passed knowing he had a friend in you. Take comfort in that.

Still, the discovery of a friend dying this way is sobering and shocking.

My best thoughts for your friend's family and for you.

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
Your post here reveals your feelings about your friend. It is difficult to stay connected with someone halfway around the world, but I'm sure the two of you shared good thoughts about your friendship.

Mexicanbreed

Reaction score
He was a good guy, and I will miss him dearly. His death reminds me of the people I have in my life and not to take them for granted.

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss Mexicanbreed. My sincere condolences to you. The friends we have that have passed live on in us with the memories we have of them. No one can take that from us. I smile and chuckle remembering all the good times when I think of my all friends that have gone on. Hang in there.

Latest Threads