I just got the bill for my arm amputation.

dspelman

Reaction score
I have Medicare A-B-D. This one covers the big stuff. I knew the bill would be very high. It came in at $71,000. I figured I would be on the hook for 10 to 15K or more. After all was said and done, my bill came in at $1400. There may be some other bills. I am just amazed.

Do you have "regular" medicare, a Medicare Advantage program, or a Medicare Supplement program? Medicare Advantage programs will frequently bundle the A, B and D, and I think the max out-of-pocket is $889 for one of the HMO programs in the SoCal area.

RAG7890

Reaction score
All the very best for a speedy & workable recovery Fett.

A challenge I'm sure you'll meet head on & concur.

:cheers2:

fett

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I just have the No-Frills Medicare. It paid for much more than I expected. I was looking at the itemized charges. They were what Medicare was willing to pay and the provider willing to accept. I wonder what the cost would have been without insurance. A lot higher, I would guess.

JonCanfield

Reality is over rated
Reaction score
Speedy recovery, glad they were able to get it stopped

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I just have the No-Frills Medicare. It paid for much more than I expected. I was looking at the itemized charges. They were what Medicare was willing to pay and the provider willing to accept. I wonder what the cost would have been without insurance. A lot higher, I would guess.
see what steps that you can take now , to lower those costs . the are financial counselors and patient advocates that can help you with this . once medical bills become delinquent , is not the time to try and figure out how to " fix " things

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Can't even begin to imagine what that would mean to me if I had to lose an arm.
I wish you all the best, adjusting to a whole new life...

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
What a bloody nuisance. Glad to see you back, and fully confident you will, indeed, adapt; I expect you will soon be telling us about how you rigged a prosthetic pick holder & are playing again.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
fett,

Even though I don't know you in person, the news of your amputation just makes me sick! I wish you the best on your recovery.
It’s cool how this forum pulls together for people we don’t really know. After many years of posting, I think you feel like you do get to somewhat know a few of the members. I know I have met face to face a few and made some friends here as well. It always sucks to see one of “us” go through tough stuff.

Bluesky

Reaction score
Is it too early.... ? Glad it didnt co$t an arm & a leg...........:slap:

Seriously.........your still here brother. God bless.:cheers2:

CRobbins

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dang, dude. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through this.

You're spirits seem high, which is commendable and truly inspiring.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
fett and all.

I have had much lower co-pays and deductibles under Medicare (plus a good supplement policy) than when I had BCBS. Medicare cuts providers' charges more, and around here they are absurd! Plus, with Medicare one doesn't get bills for "out of network" providers that have a strange way of getting involved without the patient's knowledge. With Medicare, you have more "patient protection" regulation.

JWinAK

Reaction score
I just have the No-Frills Medicare. It paid for much more than I expected. I was looking at the itemized charges. They were what Medicare was willing to pay and the provider willing to accept. I wonder what the cost would have been without insurance. A lot higher, I would guess.
Glad it didn't cost you and arm AND a leg! ;)

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The first hour of my heart attack was around $85K...insurance paid under $10K. My total was around $5K for the year, max out of pocket.
That's enough to give you another heart attack!
:confused: