I just bought my first Les Paul, now having regrets. Thoughts?

KevinFromHeaven

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I just purchased a Gibson Classic 2015 without the g-force tuning system last week from guitar center.

It is my first Les Paul, and i'm worried that this wasn't the best move.

I want a guitar that will get me a lot of miles, I want a guitar that I love, every time I pick it up it's the best for me.

Let me start by saying this. I love the guitar, the look, the feel, the play-ability is all wonderful, but i'm getting hung up on a few things.

The new signature - I shouldn't care about this, but i've wanted a Les Paul since I was a kid, now with that new signature, I don't know, it's just not the classic Les Paul image. While this issue is strictly cosmetic, it still kind of bothers me.

The 15db boost switch - I thought the idea was cool and it is on paper, but this can also just be done with a foot switch. I don't think it really makes or breaks it.

The master tone knob - While I don't play live, and up until recently did not have much interest in dialing in different tones and switching back and forth between pick ups, but it's something that I have been learning about. The fact that this guitar does not have two independent tone knobs means that I am definitely lacking some tonal options.

The overall reception of this guitar - I did some research on the guitar before I went through with the purchase, and it would seem that in some circles people hate the new signature, the g-force tuning system is awful, i've heard that guitar shops were sending them back to Gibson to get them removed, or some shops offering to take them out and replace without the system. Some other design choices that I may be missing, and so I am concerned about the resale value down the road since this guitar is selling so badly now. Will it continue to have that stigma?

I know it's hard for anyone to help convince me of anything one way or another, but I am asking for other peoples opinions, and your thoughts on my thoughts.

Do you think this guitar is worthwhile?

Do you think the concerns I have are warranted?

Is there a better place for me to put my hard earned money? Is there a slightly better Les Paul out there for me in a relatively similar price range.

Honestly, about this guitar. I would do away with the 15db switch, put on a second tone knob, change the signature to the original Les Paul signature, then in my mind it would be perfect.

Thanks everyone for their time.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry you feel that way.

"The new signature - I shouldn't care about this, but i've wanted a Les Paul since I was a kid, now with that new signature, I don't know, it's just not the classic Les Paul image. While this issue is strictly cosmetic, it still kind of bothers me."

that is 100% exactly what I said when I first saw the scrawl logo. That somewhere there's a dude who's been dreaming of a Les Paul and when he finally gets one he's not going to like the 2015 logo because it's not the classic les paul signature. We called it the Sharpie Scrawl. ..some people called it his death bed scrawl,..it doesn't look good.

Personally I think if you're feeling this way return the guitar while you can and get what you really want. A classic Les Paul guitar. ..2015 was a gimmick year,..they're not popular and it will be harder to sell later down the road.

Have you thought about used 2013's? They're probably exactly what you want and you can probably get a good deal on one.

The 2016's I think have reverted back to the classic appointments too.

Get what you really want. Don't settle.

Kinda sounds like you want a Traditional.

Guitaraxe

Reaction score
You could have the head stock veneer overlay replaced and a second tone knob put in place of the boost but me, I would return it for a refund and shop for another. There are a boatload of great LP's out there new and used.

What is your budget ceiling?

bungle

Reaction score
Get the guitar you will be happy with. You want it to inspire you to play, not feel regret. Don't get stuck because of a good deal.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Take advantage of GC's return policy and take the guitar back right away. I'll tell you why. I have done this before, purchased a guitar and hated everything about it but kept it because it was a Les Paul. You won't be happy with it unless it's what you want.

Take it back, and then use the money to buy yourself a used Les Paul traditional for example for a similar price. I got this Les Paul traditional from a Local MLP member for $1450

and this one locally for $1800 and it's a 96 Les Paul Custom.

The point is you can take your money and use it to buy something at a good price and use the extra money for upgrades. I got the trad for the price of a new studio basically.

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
beautiful Gits, Satchmo
Thanks man!

I'm one guy that will never get caught dead with a 2015 in my collection haha. They aren't worth the money to me because they aren't the les paul that I grew up with, the wide neck and the nut is weird for me, and the death bed signature too. I now only buy used to find a fine well taken care of guitar. :naughty:

Axis39

Reaction score
If you don't like it take it back. I actually like the scrawled signature logo. But, that's me.

I am not so hot on autotuners and such. But, I grew up using a pitchpipe! LOL In all honesty, i think hearing the tone go to tune is a good thing. It helps train our ears for out of tune notes. But, I have a bud who picked one up and loves the G-Force thing.

In the same vane, I picked up an '08 Traditional. It was a great guitar (a little heavier than I wanted). Felt good, played well, sounded like heaven. Eventually, though, the barbie pink binding got to me. It kind of tipped the scales as I had been battling with the weight of the thing for a while... Having had and currently owning vintage Gibsons, the color just didn't sit right. I knew nobody else gave a crap, but it bothered me. So, I sold it off. Never looked back... Eventually, i have ended up witha Custom Lite (solves both issues! LOL It's light and the binding is a beautiful clean white that will age appropriately).

If it doesn't make you cream your jeans every time you look at it or pick it up, trade it on. Another will come your way. Plus, you can always get more bang for your buck used!

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
If you don't like it take it back. I actually like the scrawled signature logo. But, that's me.

I am not so hot on autotuners and such. But, I grew up using a pitchpipe! LOL In all honesty, i think hearing the tone go to tune is a good thing. It helps train our ears for out of tune notes. But, I have a bud who picked one up and loves the G-Force thing.

In the same vane, I picked up an '08 Traditional. It was a great guitar (a little heavier than I wanted). Felt good, played well, sounded like heaven. Eventually, though, the barbie pink binding got to me. It kind of tipped the scales as I had been battling with the weight of the thing for a while... Having had and currently owning vintage Gibsons, the color just didn't sit right. I knew nobody else gave a crap, but it bothered me. So, I sold it off. Never looked back... Eventually, i have ended up witha Custom Lite (solves both issues! LOL It's light and the binding is a beautiful clean white that will age appropriately).

If it doesn't make you cream your jeans every time you look at it or pick it up, trade it on. Another will come your way. Plus, you can always get more bang for your buck used!
By the way :naughty: My barbie pink binding has aged rapidly from use and turned a slight yellowish tint that looks fantastic

from 2010

Before

There is hope

tzd

Reaction score
I wouldn't call the 2015 you bought a Les Paul. It's an abomination. Especially the wide neck. It is not the guitar you have dreamed of as a kid. Return it and get your money back.

Nilitara

Reaction score
Sounds to me your mind is already made up, if I were in your position I'd be looking for a nice well looked after 2013 Trad, considered by many others on the forum as one of best in recent years.

Yquy

Reaction score
Take it back while you still can. You don't like it now, you will never like it. It's the 2015 model that pushed me toward the PRS and I bought 2 PRS ever since, the custom 24 and the DGT.
I still love my 2010 Trad and 2013 Standard.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
Can't help but agree with what's being said here. A Les Paul is something you aspire towards. What you don't aspire towards is a Classic that is no longer a Classic, has three knobs, a stupidly wide neck and a brass nut.

There are plenty of very decent LPs out there. Don't rule out a 2014 just because of the "120 anniversary" scroll, it's a minor appointment and they are, by and large, fine guitars. But 2015...yes, give that year a miss unless you get it stupidly cheap.

KevinFromHeaven

Reaction score
You didn't notice those features before you bought it?
No no, I definitely noticed all of those features before the purchase.

Keep in mind this is my first Les Paul. Also, i'm not sure if I mentioned this in the posting or not, but I felt like I kind of bought it on an impulse, but knew that purchasing through GC I would have a safety net if I didn't end up liking it.

With all of that being said, despite those features, and things that I have a problem with, the guitar to me felt and played amazingly. I just don't want to sink money on what many people feel is not a good guitar, mainly the 2015 series of LPs.

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Return it ! 2015 was annus horribilis for Gibson - but be sure to buy another Les Paul so you can stay on this forum :thumb:

sk8rat

Reaction score
Take it back, and then use the money to buy yourself a used Les Paul traditional for example for a similar price. I got this Les Paul traditional from a Local MLP member for $1450
:drool: why you gotta be postin' sh*t like this after I just bought a guitar :squint: :laugh2:

Mr. Satchmo

Reaction score
Sounds to me your mind is already made up, if I were in your position I'd be looking for a nice well looked after 2013 Trad, considered by many others on the forum as one of best in recent years.
YES! Who can say no to a 2013? they aren't weight relieved, tend to have better tops than previous years, some people have ended up with one piece backs for example, and my 2013 has the best fit to finish between my two trads

Latest Threads