I held a 2020 R0 today...

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to the music store on my lunch and tried out a bunch of guitars.

I tried an R0...

I get it now... The weight and feel are on a completely different level than Gibson USA. It felt like a low 8lbs (reference is my Greco at 8 1/2lbs) The 60s neck is pretty sweet as well.

Even the relic on the neck felt nice...

The finishes look quite different as well. More 3D pop versus flat on the LP Standards I have played.

I really wanted to try an R9 but one was not on the floor.

The trip was to try and get rid of my GAS, but it did not help.

BDW60

Reaction score
I recommend you make it a straight up comparison. Find a good USA Original 60s in the same store as you fInd a good R0. Disappear Into a private space if possible with an amp you are at least familiar with, then spend 30 minutes at least going back and forth. That’s the only way to get a legit take on the differences, and whether an R0 is worth more than twice the price.

It can’t be against “guitars I have played” at different times at different stores thru different amps. Not if you really want a true comparison. I would be the last person to talk you out of a historic, but before splashing that cash, do an A/B and see what you think.

Reaction score
When I got my R8 - that I got from Guitar Center - they must have hated me. I ordered probably 7 Gibson Les Pauls. Tried them all, and weeded them out - and returned them. I had a 2020 Standard that I loved in Heritage Cherry. I had a 2016 Traditional that I loved in Honeyburst. I decided to keep both. On a whim, I purchased the R8 because it was cheaper than both the others combined. Once it arrived it was a no brainer that this R8 was nicer. I found it truly hard to believe that a guitar could "feel" better, play better, etc than a normal USA Gibson, but once I played this one. It was easy. I tried another R8 in Cherry just to make sure, but I would have kept the standard over it!

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recommend you make it a straight up comparison. Find a good USA Original 60s in the same store as you fInd a good R0. Disappear Into a private space if possible with an amp you are at least familiar with, then spend 30 minutes at least going back and forth. That’s the only way to get a legit take on the differences, and whether an R0 is worth more than twice the price.

It can’t be against “guitars I have played” at different times at different stores thru different amps. Not if you really want a true comparison. I would be the last person to talk you out of a historic, but before splashing that cash, do an A/B and see what you think.
That is a great idea! I'll plan to spend some more time to do a proper A/B.

BDW60

Reaction score
That is a great idea! I'll plan to spend some more time to do a proper A/B.
Here’s a preview ... there’s no way in the world a historic is “worth” twice the price. The question is, how much are you willing to pay for that last 5 percent of bliss? That different in hand feel? Because after having owned a good number both, IMO that’s what you’re paying for. Historics don’t always sound better than USA LPs. Go to YouTube and find the vid where the guy is comparing an R9 straight up with a 50s Original. It’s down to taste, nothing more, and IMO in that particular video the USA guitar sounds better.

BUT, a USA LP, even a light one, will never quite feel like a historic in your hands. (Well, maybe if you’ve been making it yours for 20 years it will). And to get it to play like a historic, you will need to have some good setup skills or pay somebody who does.

ThePanda

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s a preview ... there’s no way in the world a historic is “worth” twice the price. The question is, how much are you willing to pay for that last 5 percent of bliss? That different in hand feel? Because after having owned a good number both, IMO that’s what you’re paying for. Historics don’t always sound better than USA LPs. Go to YouTube and find the vid where the guy is comparing an R9 straight up with a 50s Original. It’s down to taste, nothing more, and IMO in that particular video the USA guitar sounds better.

BUT, a USA LP, even a light one, will never quite feel like a historic in your hands. (Well, maybe if you’ve been making it yours for 20 years it will). And to get it to play like a historic, you will need to have some good setup skills or pay somebody who does.
Yeah man you hit the nail on the head.

That 5 percent is worth it to someone. If you don't like the feel of a guitar, no matter what it is you won't enjoy playing it as much.

boola1

Reaction score
I went to the music store on my lunch and tried out a bunch of guitars.

I tried an R0...

I get it now... The weight and feel are on a completely different level than Gibson USA. It felt like a low 8lbs (reference is my Greco at 8 1/2lbs) The 60s neck is pretty sweet as well.

Even the relic on the neck felt nice...

The finishes look quite different as well. More 3D pop versus flat on the LP Standards I have played.

I really wanted to try an R9 but one was not on the floor.

The trip was to try and get rid of my GAS, but it did not help.
Just 1 strum of an R8 unplugged was enough for me to know that I had to have one! Eventually I got one and all my other guitars were sold except for my dear '94 Flying V.

ps. The heavier ones sound even better! I've never bonded with a Les Paul that's less than 9lb :p

el84ster

Reaction score
Reissues are awesome. I knew the first time I touched one, instantly!
Just buy used when you get yours, I think new prices are totally insane!

Latest Threads