I have ordered some MojoTone CTS pot... anyone have used them??

5F6-A

Reaction score
For my Fender style guitars I generally use regular 250K CTS audio pots for volume position. However, I have been quite dissatisfied with them recently. I mean the pots have worked fine with no noise or other problems and they are a joy to install but I have had three issues: tolerance, taper, torque.

Tolerance: These std CTS pots tend to be under-spec and they often read a lot less than the advertised 250K. The one I have now is 231K which is noticeably duller when using two pickups in parallel in a Strat (i.e. positions 2 and 4). Don Mare and Ron Ellis advocate at least 250K for max quack a la Robert Cray/.
Taper: The 10% taper is not very good if you like to ride volume knob. I love using my Ge Fuzz Face clone clean and dirty but all the effect happens between 10 and 9.5.... really frustrating!
Feel/Torque: This is the least of my problems but still annoying. These pots are just too stiff. They vary from batch to batch but the last ones I have bought were almost difficult to turn, ridiculous.

I have heard that MojoTone CTS pots have solved all these three issues with their Vintage Taper pots but I have no direct experience with them yet. I have ordered one for my Strat to help with the 'fuzz' and 'quack' issues mentioned earlier but whilst I wait for it to arrive, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know your experience with them if you have real experience with these. Thanks!!

geddy

Reaction score
Bourne pots have a much better feel if you like the low friction operation. What is the value of the vintage taper ?

5F6-A

Reaction score
Bourne pots have a much better feel if you like the low friction operation. What is the value of the vintage taper ?
250K.... mid friction is my preference. A bit like the one in Alpha pots (which I find excellent, affordable and much tighter tolerance than regular CTS)

geddy

Reaction score
I was really asking what the taper percentage value was and of course the resistance tolerance.. taper is by design....tolerance is likely to be by measurement and selection.

5F6-A

Reaction score
I was really asking what the taper percentage value was and of course the resistance tolerance.. taper is by design....tolerance is likely to be by measurement and selection.
30% AFAIK

Dazza

Reaction score
I have a set of 500k mojo pots in my EDS1275. Compared to more typical CTS pots the taper is slower, meaning I need to turn a little further for the same results I'm prior used to. Not good or bad, just slightly different.

No experience with their 250k pots.

As for positions 2 and 4 in my Squire JV strat the best mod I did was move tone controls to bridge and neck only. Rolling either tone back, as I commonly do, required turning them up full in positions 2 & 4. Night and day difference now giving all the highs I need across all positions without adjustments. The middle on it's own is also a fantastic tone.

Daz

Last edited:

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Regarding the Strat... yep that 1 simple mod is a game changer!

Agree 100% about the middle pickup as well. It really comes alive without a tone pot.

In fact, they ALL come alive without a tone pot :D
I've got no-load pots on both tone controls. The pickups sound awesome running wide open. The neck tone is even sweeter and positions 2 and 4 really sparkle. I played this one today for a couple hours... the clean tones in all 5 switch positions always amazes me.

Give it a shot... you won't be sorry

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have them in three Les Paul's and a fourth set ordered today. I like them a lot.

5F6-A

Reaction score
Regarding the Strat... yep that 1 simple mod is a game changer!

Agree 100% about the middle pickup as well. It really comes alive without a tone pot.

In fact, they ALL come alive without a tone pot :D
I've got no-load pots on both tone controls. The pickups sound awesome running wide open. The neck tone is even sweeter and positions 2 and 4 really sparkle. I played this one today for a couple hours... the clean tones in all 5 switch positions always amazes me.

Give it a shot... you won't be sorry
I agreed (I have a no-load MT!!)

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
The turning torque spec of CTS pots is a factor of the viscosity of the lube they ship with.

If you want them looser, and you don't want to wait for them to wear in, you can just clean the lubrication out. Something like the F5 version of DeOxit, which has a light lubricant included, would be best. Ethanol type cleaners would leave them entirely dry, so probably not best.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I like the Mojo pots quite allot. They have a taper that works for most players and are constructed very robust. If you want higher reading ones, though, you'll have to take your chances or buy a ton and cherry pick. They seem to be more like "250k max" IME.

MCT

Reaction score
I’ve used their “vintage” taper 500k pots, and while sturdy and fine, keep in mind that (and I’m running a serious risk of beating a dead horse here) 30% is NOT what an actually vintage taper Centralab was.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I’ve used their “vintage” taper 500k pots, and while sturdy and fine, keep in mind that (and I’m running a serious risk of beating a dead horse here) 30% is NOT what an actually vintage taper Centralab was.
I agree. Most players seem to get along with the Mojotone taper but I'd not put them in a vintage Gibson, mixed with other Centralabs, as the tapers would feel noticeably different. I use regular audio taper pots (or source vintage) for that.

Lots of guys used to old Gibsons like that bump at the end of a vintage pot, between 8 and 10. Like a "solo boost." That's just how audio taper pots are. Many modern players used to newer guitars complain about it not being an even transition across the taper, though. ...of course, the compression of the rig REALLY changes how that taper feels, too.

Then again, we are talking about Fender guitars, this time. Most pots I see in vintage Fender guitars and amps are Stackpoles and CTS. I've never tried to chart the audio taper of those pots, but I could! I have plenty here. It would be nice to see that the Mojotone pots "vintage" taper was actually modeled after something vintage, even if not Centralab.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
For my Fender style guitars I generally use regular 250K CTS audio pots for volume position. However, I have been quite dissatisfied with them recently. I mean the pots have worked fine with no noise or other problems and they are a joy to install but I have had three issues: tolerance, taper, torque.

Tolerance: These std CTS pots tend to be under-spec and they often read a lot less than the advertised 250K. The one I have now is 231K
5% of 250k is 237,500 to 262,500
You will never find a 10% tolerance part within this range, because they have all been marked 5%
10% of 250k is 225k to 275k.
You will never find a 20% tolerance part within this range, because they have all been marked 5% or 10%

231k is well within 10% tolerance for 250k. No manufacturer is going to be any different.
If you are concerned about consistently getting pots that are low on tolerance, step up to 300k, which will put a similarly consistently low value around 280k
For a Les Paul, 500k is a bit higher, so though the tolerances are double, a pot that is 10% low will not be as dramatically "darker" as a 10% low 250k pot.

5F6-A

Reaction score
5% of 250k is 237,500 to 262,500
You will never find a 10% tolerance part within this range, because they have all been marked 5%
10% of 250k is 225k to 275k.
You will never find a 20% tolerance part within this range, because they have all been marked 5% or 10%

231k is well within 10% tolerance for 250k. No manufacturer is going to be any different.
If you are concerned about consistently getting pots that are low on tolerance, step up to 300k, which will put a similarly consistently low value around 280k
For a Les Paul, 500k is a bit higher, so though the tolerances are double, a pot that is 10% low will not be as dramatically "darker" as a 10% low 250k pot.
I have received the MojoTone. It reads 234K so barely more than the std CTS I had before and within the advertised 7% tolerance. I have tried it and actually, I like it quite a lot. The taper is more progressive than the std CTS and it's low torque as 'promised'. All in all, I'm happy. Also, my Strat set up is rather bright (CS69 pickups with MT: No-load CTS 500K with 0.1uF cap / Blender: Fralin CTS 250K) so, 234K seems great.

mojot.PNG

Dazza

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to say in my earlier post on the Mojo 500K pots that I've just remembered is concerning the taper - for volumes they work well with a slower progression as mentioned, but in a 50's wired LP as tone pots I find the taper too slow. In practice almost like linear pots.

Variety is a good thing though.

Daz

D'tar

Reaction score
VIPots back in stock. Just got mine. Not installed yet. No affiliation.... Seems they are less expensive than before or? Shows $16.99/pot, got 4x for $28

5F6-A

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the Mojotone so far....

Latest Threads