I have a question about my Goldtop

bbutler123

Reaction score
I owned a Gib LP Standard, then a Gib Studio LP, then bought this Epi '56 RI Goldtop.

The first two sounded quite a bit alike, like every LP I've played, but when I bought the Epi Goldtop it was immediately noticeable that it sounded... uh, less full. Or thinner or sharper or less bottom end, or colder, don't know how to describe. I love it, but it sounds way different. All 3 Pauls had Classic '57s.

Why might the Epi have sounded so different? Is it that the poly finish is not so warm, etc. and the Gibson nitro is? Is is possible it doesn't have the same top? maybe not maple? (it's very new, maybe 8 months old). Could it just be this particular guitar? I've never noticed such a difference between Epi and Gibson before.

Any opinions?

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Everything before mentioned, and I've heard that they may not be using mahogany (rather alder with veneer or something like that), and maybe it's a dud too, I think my Epi sounds pretty good.

Roger66

Reaction score
I owned a Gib LP Standard, then a Gib Studio LP, then bought this Epi '56 RI Goldtop.

The first two sounded quite a bit alike, like every LP I've played, but when I bought the Epi Goldtop it was immediately noticeable that it sounded... uh, less full. Or thinner or sharper or less bottom end, or colder, don't know how to describe. I love it, but it sounds way different. All 3 Pauls had Classic '57s.

Why might the Epi have sounded so different? Is it that the poly finish is not so warm, etc. and the Gibson nitro is? Is is possible it doesn't have the same top? maybe not maple? (it's very new, maybe 8 months old). Could it just be this particular guitar? I've never noticed such a difference between Epi and Gibson before.

Any opinions?
Why don't you guys just concentrate on writing, playing, practicing and things they might further your career instead of being so concerned about minor differences in the tone from an obviously stellar guitar? Play it! Record it! Love it!!
It's the notes that count!

1allspub

Reaction score
Why don't you guys just concentrate on writing, playing, practicing and things they might further your career instead of being so concerned about minor differences in the tone from an obviously stellar guitar? Play it! Record it! Love it!!
1658578568426.jpeg

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you concentrate on not responding to people who haven’t been here in 11 years?

1658593925903.jpeg

James R

Reaction score
Why don't YOU concentrate on getting your facts straight! I've only been here for maybe 2 years. On and off because I really get disgusted with bored haters without a life like you,!
Ummm.... I think he was talking about the other guy.
You know, the one you quoted who hasn't been here for 11 years?

Not for nuthin' but I think somebody needs to get the facts straight, I'm just not convinced it's the guy you think it is.

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this great mystery though, stay tuned for further updates.

Latest Threads