I have a kitten

Roxy13

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago when I walked into the barn this cat jumped up and there was a black kitten underneath her and they both bolted. I've seen it's mother a few times over the past couple of years, but months can go by between sightings. Last night I thought I saw the kitten on it's own in the barn but it slunk under the back door and took off before I got a good look. This morning it was just sitting in the middle of the barn looking cold, hungry, sad and lonely. It let me walk up to it and pick it up. I would say it's 9-11 weeks old so adoptable, but I probably can't keep it. Right now it's terrified of my dog, even though she likes kittens.

I'm trying to get it to eat something but it doesn't seem to know what dry or canned cat food is. It might just need some time to get over fear first.

However it's a black kitten and almost Halloween so that always concerns me on finding a suitable new home.

If you happen to live in NW Ohio and are looking for a pet, let me know. Our Humane Society is appointment only right now, but I'm trying to call. The phone has been busy though for the past couple of hours.

TheX

just some do0d
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a cat person, but I would rescue one in a heartbeat. Most cats end up bigger than both of my dogs, hahaha. I hope it finds a great home.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I brought it in and set it up in an old bird cage for the moment since it doesn't know what litter is either. It's sitting in the litter box like it's a cat bed instead of the nice little bed I made for it.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got 3 new cats in the last couple months. I asked my wife and she said "FUCK NO! We don't need another cat!"

So I guess I need to work on her some more. :)

Glad the kitten at least found an animal person. :)

Caretaker

Reaction score
The cat litter is more like what it is used to(rocks/dirt/leaves).
It doesn`t know what beding is.
You should keep her. Shewill adjust to the dog and she came to you for a loving home.
beside, your barn needs a mouser.
Call her Ebony and be done with it.

PICS!!!!!!

Roxy13

Reaction score
I heard they don't adopt out black cats around halloween because people will adopt them just to kill them*. (I have a black cat.)

Good luck with your kitten.

*=people are so fucked up
It's sick, but it does happen :(

One of my cats is black too and his sister is blue (black cat with double dilution genes). The mother of this kitten is also blue so it's quite possible she is related to the mother of my cats.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The cat litter is more like what it is used to(rocks/dirt/leaves).
It doesn`t know what beding is.
You should keep her. Shewill adjust to the dog and she came to you for a loving home.
beside, your barn needs a mouser.
Call her Ebony and be done with it.

PICS!!!!!!
I don't think he (I think it's a he) is really going to be ok outside alone. Either something has happened to mom or she has told the kitten, sorry, bud you're weaned and need to go on your own. Even if I put food out for him, the raccoons are just going to take it. And winter is coming and he's pretty small yet, you know?

Caretaker

Reaction score
Inside until grown and warm outside.
Mouser in the barn when you are there.
Keep him.
You know you want to and you know I won`t leave you alone until you do. LOL
You need a partner in your workshop.
I`ll donate $$ for vet and food.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Inside until grown and warm outside.
Mouser in the barn when you are there.
Keep him.
You know you want to and you know I won`t leave you alone until you do. LOL
You need a partner in your workshop.
I`ll donate $$ for vet and food.
I haven't yet seen how my cats are going to react. The birds are out so my cats are in my bedroom. I don't think Shelby will take it well. She is very possessive of me because I bottle raised her. As far as she's concerned I'm HER mother.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told my wife my acoustic needed a re-fret and Roxy does those things. Again, she said no because I'd come back with a cat. I shoulda just said I'm taking my acoustic to somebody for some work...lol.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
I don't think he (I think it's a he) is really going to be ok outside alone. Either something has happened to mom or she has told the kitten, sorry, bud you're weaned and need to go on your own. Even if I put food out for him, the raccoons are just going to take it. And winter is coming and he's pretty small yet, you know?
We took in an injured kitten on our front porch, about a year ago in November. My wife sat with it and put it in the litter box, took its front paws and showed it how to dig in the litter. It was doing it on its own within a day or two. Take it to a vet as soon as you can and get it checked out and shots. They may look fine but chances are they have worms, fleas etc, which will affect their health over time.

Roxy13

Reaction score
We took in an injured kitten on our front porch, about a year ago in November. My wife sat with it and put it in the litter box, took its front paws and showed it how to dig in the litter. It was doing it on its own within a day or two. Take it to a vet as soon as you can and get it checked out and shots. They may look fine but chances are they have worms, fleas etc, which will affect their health over time.
Oh it certainly has worms. They start hatching in the kittens at 5 weeks old. The eggs get right into the mother's milk. I'm sure it has fleas as well and will need it's vaccinations.

HearHear

Reaction score
That's a sad situation. Animal shelter/rescue facility seems the only solution, if you can get him in one. It reminds me of when I was a kid many years ago, we found a beautiful light brown and white stray kitten in the woods, and we tried to adopt it. Like your kitten, it refused to eat and then it died in a few days. I still remember it, even though it was like 1979. We gave it a formal burial and I was genuinely sad for a while. Mother nature can give, and she can take away. Sometimes we just can't control it. I agree with someone else though, take it to a vet and get it checked out.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I brought it in and set it up in an old bird cage for the moment since it doesn't know what litter is either. It's sitting in the litter box like it's a cat bed instead of the nice little bed I made for it.
We had a rescue cat that would sit in the litter box at the shelter. He was the runt and was scared of the other cats in the cage with him. After we adopted him he was very shy, but turned out to be the best cat I've ever been around. He passed away a few years ago and I still miss him.

Latest Threads