I have a 1x12 cab,need a tube amp head suggestions please

Standard 64

Reaction score
I have a 1x12 open back cab loaded with a wgs reaper 30 watt 16 ohm speaker,looking for a tube amp up to 20 watts(want to be safe)to sit on top of it.Besides recomending me the amp you own are their any amps that you can recomend that pique(to arouse an emotion) your interest? I am not into vox tones(I prefer more marshally) and am looking for really good overdriven tones up to distortion thats not fizzy and has great clarity.Not so worried about clean tones either,though that would be a plus.Doesnt have to be a 2 channel amp and footswitchable reverb would be cool.Is their such a amp?Guitars are in my signature.Thanks.S64 Edit ,for mostly house use and if I do play out I will mic it.

wrc73

Reaction score
The Phaez JTM 18 or SIBLY might be up your alley. Both are 18 watts, and are in the Marshall vein. Also, the Ceriatone 1974x Marshall clone with a MV, 18 watts as well. All three of these pique my interest.

Standard 64

Reaction score
The Phaez JTM 18 or SIBLY might be up your alley. Both are 18 watts, and are in the Marshall vein. Also, the Ceriatone 1974x Marshall clone with a MV, 18 watts as well. All three of these pique my interest.
Thanks:applause:I could prolly use a reverb pedal if needed

Standard 64

Reaction score
Ok,pick just one,if you had to choose,thanks.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
There are a lot of amps out there in that vein. Budget? That is important because depending on what they put inside, and use for transformers, makes a big difference in cost, and tone.
Ceriatone's prices are very good for what you get, IMO. I don't own an 18 watt Ceriatone, but I do own one of there other amps, and it's outstanding as far as tone, and build quality.
But their are other builders that offer the tone and quality, just tweaked in a different way.
If you want a straight up clone, Ceriatone is hard to beat.
Phaez is also an excellent choice, but we know how you feel about them, so I won't say anything else about them.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Price is no object and I am open to all phaez suggestions(which one?)and all other builders under the radar.Looking for that one killer amp!!!!

singlecut

Reaction score
avoid a phaez amp at all costs.
ya buy 1 and next thing ya know ya got 3

LPV

Reaction score
Just get a Phaez already. Drink the kool-aid, we all float down here.

Standard 64

Reaction score
your not helping,pick one and only one for my needs,and I'll consider it,thanks

st.bede

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
sorry I read your post wrong... no vox-ness but pure marshall-ness... that is not with in my range of knowledge, I always like at least a little sparkle in my british voiced amps. Maybe I am wrong but a modded bassman type thing could be what you are looking for. I have found those can have a really thick breakup that sounds warm and full and still have nice warm round clean tones when not pushed as hard.

yawny

Reaction score
Shwoop-de-oops

I'm staying away from this one.

At least answer the questionnaire.

JakeM

Reaction score
Something from Joe Morgan at Morgan amps. Prepare for some major GAS!

iamjoe

Reaction score
Phaez 18w Daisy Cutter. Replaced my Splawn QuickRod. "Marshally"? oh hell yeah!

ANEAS

Reaction score
If you want something Marsally ....get a Class5 head ship it off to Lyle and get fixed and moded...this will probably fit the bill

Standard 64

Reaction score
I think I remember Deftone saying the 18 watt daisycutter is really loud.I dont want to use an attenuator(ever)so do you still recomend it for the house?thanks

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Phaez amps have a very good master volume, no attenuator needed.
There is also the Avatar 18 watt, there is Rienhard, Trinity makes one I think, GDS has a great 18 watt Marshall. Your asking a very difficult question without a price range because you pay for what you get. Bang for the buck? Phaez or Ceriatone. If you wanted to stay well within the Marshall vibe, the JTM18, would be the really vintage sounding end, and the sibly would be a higher gain more of an early 70's vibe, with the ability to get more modern, and the daisycutter is in that realm as well. All of those amps do what you are asking, as does the other brands, they all just sound a bit different because each builder puts their own personality into the amp, especially Phaez. If you want a clone, Phaez doesn't do clones, and Randy tweaks a lot of things by ear, but that's a good thing IMO.

rocknhorse1

Reaction score
Just to add to my last post... Most of the 18 watt Marshall amps have no master volume, so you would have to pay extra for the master, or have power scaling installed, or have an attenuator.

Standard 64

Reaction score
Phaez amps have a very good master volume, no attenuator needed.
There is also the Avatar 18 watt, there is Rienhard, Trinity makes one I think, GDS has a great 18 watt Marshall. Your asking a very difficult question without a price range because you pay for what you get. Bang for the buck? Phaez or Ceriatone. If you wanted to stay well within the Marshall vibe, the JTM18, would be the really vintage sounding end, and the sibly would be a higher gain more of an early 70's vibe, with the ability to get more modern, and the daisycutter is in that realm as well. All of those amps do what you are asking, as does the other brands, they all just sound a bit different because each builder puts their own personality into the amp, especially Phaez. If you want a clone, Phaez doesn't do clones, and Randy tweaks a lot of things by ear, but that's a good thing IMO.
thank you