I hate the poker chip! Do I need help?

Walt_T

Reaction score
Poker chips and pickguards are always first to go.

scozz

Reaction score
I'm a purist with Les Pauls in some respects and I like the poker chip. :thumb: Some of us have been playing LPs for many years, decades in some cases, and some of us are set on the ways we like our Les Pauls. That "cheap circle of plastic" is part of a classic design that many of us revere. If you don't like it... I get it... don't put in on. But don't disparage it because YOU don't like it. :cool:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
The bourbon burst is spectacular....period....put neon on a bourbon and it will look perfect

Umm.....I love the 59 Cadillac...
Maybe the coolest rear end in history...

5991590390_a0c24eaed0_b.jpg

+ 1!

It's certainly in the top 5 most beautiful cars ever.
:thumb:

Big time!

P.S.: Front end is not bad either!

5991589812_4edef58347_b.jpg

I love it in this color also! One of my neighbors had one like it!

4e7ef18ec529e7a028a4632b496bd28f.jpg

Dineley

Reaction score
Poker chips have their place. I enjoy the non poker chip look. Also stop hating on the batmobile beast of a caddy

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
I first saw that picture of Les Paul and his chipless GT back in the early 60's and I've been removing them ever since.
If it's good enough for Les ........

ashbass

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A goldtop can get away with it.

The pickguard was made to fit in with the "fins are hot" mentality of the time. If you don't like the 59 version (or LP 52 as a start) then you want a new pickguard too.

All straight lines.

squareplastic.jpg

XpensiveWino

Reaction score
Nope, not for me! 70's, 90's, and 00's covered just fine here without the chip!

moreles

Reaction score
"Gaudy" poker chip? No purpose? Oh, come on. It has two purposes. One is to serve as a washer so tightening the fittings doesn't hurt the finish. The other is to protect against finger wear from flicking the switch. Just because you don't like the item doesn't mean that it has no reason to be present. Some of think the toggle just poking through from nowhere looks pretty ugly against the wood top.

JMB1984

Reaction score
Considering all the permanent changes that Gibson has been forcing on people since 2014, the lack of poker chip is pretty low on the Richter scale. It's not a permanent change, it's only about $4 to pick one up and it's easy to install. Most reputable dealers would probably throw it in the guitar deal anyway if you ask.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Seems like more of a fashion statement. I hadn't really paid attention to all the pictures that get posted here, but we're people already removing the poker chip as part of their mods? And Gibson is responding to a trend? Or is it Gibson being bold (not really) and taking us into the future again?

Chip/no chip? Les Pauls look good either way. If someone wants a 2017 with a chip, looks like they'll need to add it as an option. It's kind of like tuners. Many of us swap those out from the stock ones for all kinds of reasons.

Or back to cars. We all like to add options to cars to dress them up. Some options used to be standard too. But now we have to pay separately for them. Some are now standard and are built into the cost.

At least the chip is a quick easy change. It would have been nice if they included it in the case for those who want one vs. making you have to buy it.

Latest Threads