I hate playing electric guitar by myself.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
It just needs to be in a band. I’ve spent the last 4mo on a ship, and I bring my guitar and a zoom multi thing (don’t recommend) and I play for a few minutes and I’m already bored. If I wasn’t worried about the drastic humidity changes wreaking havoc on my acoustic, I’d consider bringing it. But another problem with an acoustic is that the guy next door might be trying to sleep. I had my ukulele here for a while and loved it, but it just doesn’t keep me in shape for when I get home.
When I play electric by myself, it’s always too much reverb and delay (both of which I typically hate in a band mix), and I’m never really playing songs or “practicing”. It all ends up as noodling, within 2 minutes, max. Same thing happens at home, when I’m re-arranging my pedalboard or something. I never try to achieve some new tone that I have in mind; I’m more like “I think I’ll swap out the chorus for a flanger for a while” and a few things like that.
I’ll go in the garage and jam with the kid on drums, but that’s about it. He gets tired and I put the guitar away.
At home, it’s all either acoustic, ukulele or acoustic lap steel, in various orders.

Am I the only one?

defcrew

Reaction score
I know what you mea but I'm just not really much of an acoustic player. Drum machine helps an da home studio if you've got it. The funny thing about the latter is that sometimes the tediousness and sloppiness of playing with humans gets a little boring once you start putting together stuff to your liking on your own. But there's nothing like the interactive push and pull of playing with a group of people willing to cooperate...and there lie dragons.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could plug into my old mixer with the built in drum machine, but nah. Way too mechanical. I'm waiting for the arrival of a used Korg KR mini drum machine. It's a store transfer from Vancouver so it might be another few days.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
I almost always play guitar with no other accompaniment.

Guess it's just what a person likes to do... gonna be different from one guy to the next, I guess.

--R

there's a certain purity about playing electric alone . with nothing else . I think that it can force a person to come up with fills and lead lines . along with creating unusual voicings

that being said . I do like to play with my looper ( RC3 ) and on top of backgrounds that I create in my DAW , with synth plugins

James R

Reaction score
I almost always play guitar with no other accompaniment.

Guess it's just what a person likes to do... gonna be different from one guy to the next, I guess.

--R
It’s similar for me, and almost always electric.
I just moved my acoustic upstairs, next to my chair, in hopes that it’ll get played more.
I have a cheap acoustic though, it fights me all the way. If I had a better one I may be more inclined to use it more, but if I’m being honest, electric guitars and the sounds they make are far more responsible for me picking up the hobby than what any acoustic could ever be.

As far as playing with others, I play by myself 99.9% of the time, but I’m always accompanied by the greats, since I play along to music more often than not.

Last edited:

defcrew

Reaction score
It's been discussed here many times pro and con but the vast majority of my personal playing is an unplugged electric. The backing track is in my mind. Sometimes it gets figured out and recorded and sometimes not. Either way, as a recently deceased former band mate said to me once: it's a lot of company.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Funny thing.... I know how it is. If I were never ever to play with other musicians I'd probably just hang it up. I need a reason to play....and the best reason is just that....other musicians. Then I get really excited and I will buckle down and practice for hours and days with joy just to look forward to playing with the guys....or girls....but in my experience, that hasn't happened very often at all (playing with girls....music you pervs!)

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
It just needs to be in a band. I’ve spent the last 4mo on a ship, and I bring my guitar and a zoom multi thing (don’t recommend) and I play for a few minutes and I’m already bored.

Am I the only one?
No, same here. Get bored all too quickly. Don't know what a zoom multi thing is, but I'd highly recommend a Vox AmPlug.

Superb little gadget, makes some great tones. They have built in effects, but they are not that great imwo.

I'd recommend hooking it up like this. If you use the plug to go directly into the guitar that seems like a sure fire way to get it to fail prematurely. On a ship that may toss about? Even more so.

With this setup, neither the headphone or guitar cords are being stressed.

AmPlug2.jpg

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
@Marshall & Moonshine

Here is a sample from the AmPlug2. I simply routed the headphone output to my PC sound input and recorded using Audacity.

Yes, I know I did not play this quite correctly. Think that sounds pretty damn good for a battery operated widget. I fooled one of our members into thinking it was a real tube amp.

A Microsoft OneDrive file. Depending on your bandwidth you may want to download first, then play. It is a 21 MB .wav file.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Looper does it for me.

It never quits.
I have a looper on my pedalboards at home. It usually shows me what a shitty rhythm player I am. :( But I do use it. The looper on the Zoom G3Xn is like 40 seconds long and pauses for a second each time it cycles. It’s kinda hard to find a groove like that. I hate drum machines; just too mechanical for me. Sometimes I can just get percussive downstrokes with licks in between, and sync up with the drums, but that’s really only fun for a little while. I just get so bored.

At least a few old bluesmen played electric guitar without accompaniment.
And they probably sounded really good. I’m not a huge blues historian. I’m going to see Robert Cray later this month. :)

Lots of good songs, rock, blues and otherwise that use just an electric. Jeff Buckley did an amazing version of Hallelujah with a Strat. I guess you could list Glycerine by Bush. That was really popular, even if none of their lyrics ever make a lick of fuckin sense.

I play a few songs and sing with just an electric. But they’re few and far between.
It can be done; it’s just not the norm.

It's been discussed here many times pro and con but the vast majority of my personal playing is an unplugged electric. The backing track is in my mind. Sometimes it gets figured out and recorded and sometimes not. Either way, as a recently deceased former band mate said to me once: it's a lot of company.
Yeah, if I play with a backing track, it’s for practice, not for fun. I can’t stream on the ship, so it would have to be recorded.
I play the electric unplugged a LOT on the ship and I discovered that I lose my ability to play dynamically when I plug in. I developed the ha it of hitting the strings hard enough to hear them acoustically and then get home and plug into my 800. It also hides slop a lot more than playing plugged it, because you don’t hear the muted noises of the “side strings”. But it does keep my fingers limber, which is nice.

No, same here. Get bored all too quickly. Don't know what a zoom multi thing is, but I'd highly recommend a Vox AmPlug.

Superb little gadget, makes some great tones. They have built in effects, but they are not that great imwo.

I'd recommend hooking it up like this. If you use the plug to go directly into the guitar that seems like a sure fire way to get it to fail prematurely. On a ship that may toss about? Even more so.

With this setup, neither the headphone or guitar cords are being stressed.

View attachment 400264
Those are cool! I had an early one that didn’t have any effects and had a old time with it. Probably 10yrs ago. I’ve got a multi now that actually has pretty good effects, but the amp modeling sucks. But I don’t want to spend more than $200 on what is basically a toy for shipping out. It’s a helluva lot bigger than the amplug, but not prohibitively so. Setting up patches is a pain. I’m just not a tweaker, and you have to be to use this thing. The wahs, vibe and rotary are surprisingly good, and all on the expression pedal. All delays sound the same to me, so they’re just fine. But all the amps sound the same, too, and setting up anything uses most of the blocks. The Fenders don’t have built in reverb, so you have to add a block for that. Then you have to add another block for the cab.
It’s fine for this, and I wouldn’t have a problem using just the pedals into a real amp, live, in a pinch, but I wouldn’t ever use this to go direct for anything I cared about.