"I guess it's pretty intimidating here"

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Keep playing dumb. It's sure to convince someone. :hmm:

Sure we have some "special" people who think the U.S. is already a prison camp, I'm not one of them. I'm also not a "sovereign citizen" if you've heard about that "idea". But I am saying I wouldn't WANT to live under such a system. However, there are people who would be fine with it, as long as they are giving the orders. Don't kid yourself. Some are internet nuts, and some are in Congress.

I have a right to bear arms, IF I choose, in accordance with the local state and federal laws, as long as I am in compliance. The law says that. The constitution is federal law. We've provided the text of the 2nd Amendment, the explanations, and the quotes from the writers themselves and the signers themselves. We could also provide various city, state, and supreme court rulings but that's been done in the past.

All of it says the same things.

Dead horse is dead.

Those are even harder to kick out of the way than people.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay. That's clear. You solve the problem of not knowing who the peaceable citizens are by giving guns to everyone on the in-principle assumption that they are all peaceable, although your experience of life tells you that some of them will turn out not to be.

Which means you accept that you are allowing some non-peaceable people to have guns.

(Stop me when you disagree with the logic.)

Which means that you accept that every so often one of the non-peaceable people with guns will shoot dead a whole bunch of people before one of the peaceable people with guns shoots him.

No, there is no problem to be solved. That is where your argument breaks down. The "problem" was solved when the amendment to the Constitution became the law of the land.

While I do not accept "that every so often one of the non-peaceable people with guns will shoot dead a whole bunch of people before one of the peaceable people with guns shoots him", I understand that it is a very real possibility, both here and abroad. Whether, or not "one of the peaceable people with guns shoots him" is irrelevant.

You logic is flawed, if for no other reason that the law of our land allows us to keep and bear arms. Like it? Great! Don't like it? Work to change the law!

Until then, please continue to keep in mind that people are killing people. That is the real problem.

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
I have a right to bear arms, IF I choose, in accordance with the local state and federal laws, as long as I am in compliance. The law says that. The constitution is federal law. We've provided the text of the 2nd Amendment, the explanations, and the quotes from the writers themselves and the signers themselves. We could also provide various city, state, and supreme court rulings but that's been done in the past.

Wasn't playing dumb. I honestly wasn't sure which of the many angles you were coming from.

And, yes, of course there's no legal, constitutional or cultural reason that you shouldn't bear arms. None. And even if there were, it's not my country, so what grounds do I have to say anything about it?

I was simply teasing out the logic to make clear the bargain America makes if it proceeds from the Sam Adams position - and once I'd got there, you (and Henry Hill) said you were fine with that bargain - and who can tell you not to be?

It was only at that point that I put in my own opinion - which is that that bargain isn't worth the cost. But then I don't have to pay it, do i?

markbastable

Reaction score
Nobody had a gun to use after the cops were shot in Paris, huh?

The French police are armed. Didn't help. The people aren't.

Americans are. And every day more Americans die from gunshots than Europeans every year.

Byron999

Reaction score
The arrogance of people is really amazing, that they think they are brighter, wiser than Jefferson, Adams.

It's because of their wisdom we are the most powerful country in the world.

And no semantics or clever arguments, can ever change that fact.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
5e8.jpg

markbastable

Reaction score
The arrogance of people is really amazing, that they think they are brighter, wiser than Jefferson, Adams.

Yeah, we used to think that.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's okay, honey - if you're getting tired, you can go to sleep on the way home in the car.

You sir are a total arse. The only person here beating that poor horse is you. Shouldn't you be in bed right now. Or hasn't the nanny come and told you to go?

Plus I am not your honey. You have no idea who I am or what my background is but you insist on your innuendos. You should give it a break as your are outmatched by any number of adroit persons on this forum.

markbastable

Reaction score
You sir are a total arse. The only person here beating that poor horse is you. Shouldn't you be in bed right now. Or hasn't the nanny come and told you to go?

Plus I am not your honey. You have no idea who I am or what my background is but you insist on your innuendos. You should give it a break as your are outmatched by any number of adroit persons on this forum.

Strictly speaking, comma before and after 'sir'.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

And no semantics or clever arguments, can ever change that fact.

I am wise enough to know the ideas I may have today that could be a good thing for a country can be a bad thing hundreds of years down the line.

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Ah, American Freedom. As the Brtitish father of children with dual US and UK citizenship, it gladdens my heart to know that at any time I can take them to live in a country where they have the freedom enjoyed by all American children to be shot dead in school by a psychopath. And to die knowing that this is a corollary of broader freedom and justice.

You mistake freedom with barbarism, my friend. You are knee-deep in corpses that prove it.

It's not a good deal.

When you make a statement like that you lose any credibility to debate the issue...at least with me.

Might I "respectfully" suggest you stay on that side of the pond where you are more comfortable with your own laws.

markbastable

Reaction score

Incidentally, and because I've only just clocked it, what innuendoes?

It's me that's using the camp language. I do it all the time, to most people. If anyone appears effeminate here, it's the writer. Why do you think that reflects on you? And even if it did, what's the innuendo?

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incidentally, and because I've only just clocked it, what innuendoes?

It's me that's using the camp language. I do it all the time, to most people. If anyone appears effeminate here, it's the writer. Why do you think that reflects on you? And even if it did, what's the innuendo?

Then you should be glad you did not say that to me in person. Your camp language reflects only on the fact that you can not hold a rational conversation without your "effects" and pseudo intellectualism. Do yourself a favor and end your evening.

markbastable

Reaction score
When you make a statement like that you lose any credibility to debate the issue...at least with me.

Might I "respectfully" suggest you stay on that side of the pond where you are more comfortable with your own laws.

Yeah, you're right - it was inflammatory, and I apologise.

What I should have said - which was what I meant - was, "Hang on, you accept that the cost of this proposition is that innocent people will get shot sometimes? Because this is not a theoretical thing here - it's happening pretty regularly."

I've rather diverted the course of this discussion with one ill-considered line, which is a pity because I'd worked so hard to keep it rational up to that point.

Again, I apologise.

LongBeach

Reaction score
I can only imagine how people from other countries see the US through the media.
Guy goes nuts in movie theatre, mental kid enters school, kills kids, mothers, etc.

And, of course, we have our own paranoid citizens, just like everywhere else.

But, on a lighter note, we try not to just let every Tom, Dick, or Harry walk through our boarders without being checked. Unlike others.

markbastable

Reaction score
Then you should be glad you did not say that to me in person. Your camp language reflects only on the fact that you can not hold a rational conversation without your "effects" and pseudo intellectualism. Do yourself a favor and end your evening.

Camp excludes rational? Well, wear white socks and call me daddy, I did not know that.

KP

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camp excludes rational? Well, wear white socks and call me daddy, I did not know that.

Pissing contest over. I should stop trying to have adult conversations with juveniles.

Latest Threads